Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

So who made Crown drums and were these the toss aways or the keepers?

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 13 years ago

Depends on the era...send me the link. Some, the early ones, are Star, and were pretty good, standard Star quality stencils. The later Pearl were, IMHO, more of the throw away variety. So, IMO, the Star were better built than the Pearl, but that's just my own opine!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

I'm interested in knowing more, too. I'm currently 2/3 of the way through the process of restoring a '66 Crown 20/12/14 (my first kit). Don't know if that year makes them one of the "pretty goods" or the "throw-aways". But the kick and floor tom sound surprisingly good to me. Here's what the 14x14 is looking like.

1 attachments
60's Gretsch Round Badge 22/13/16
'71 Ludwig B/O Badge 20/12/13/14/16
'72 Ludwig B/O Badge Jazzette 18/12/14
'65 Rogers Holiday 20/12/16
Posted on 13 years ago

The Crowns im looking at are similar to red onyx..by Rogers.Does that help the dating?

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 13 years ago

From wayne

The Crowns im looking at are similar to red onyx..by Rogers.Does that help the dating?

Wayne, I think that the drum the set would be from the mid to late 60's..Do you know if the mounted tom or toms have 8 lugs per a side? does the bass have 10 lugs per a side? I like these drums the shells are 6 ply with-out rings..Also a side note Crown was the only drums that i know of the 60's that had lugs on the toms and bass like this...Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Wayne, but can anyone tell the era of these Crowns?

Seller stated them as "Crown (Hoshino)".

I only got one pic of the set.

Would they be worth goin´for ´em? Consists of 22", 13", 16" and matching snare.

Thanks a lot!

Lissy

1 attachments
Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny! FZ
Posted on 13 years ago

From Lissy

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Wayne, but can anyone tell the era of these Crowns?Seller stated them as "Crown (Hoshino)".I only got one pic of the set.Would they be worth goin´for ´em? Consists of 22", 13", 16" and matching snare.Thanks a lot!Lissy

Lissy,The badge's on the Crown set would date the set from 1965-to the end of 1969...That set is what i was talking about the 10 lug bass 8 lug toms...these sets are the best one's that Crown made..What is the asking price? i would pay up to 350.00 for this set in U.S money...Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

From MIKEY777

Lissy,The badge's on the Crown set would date the set from 1965-to the end of 1969...That set is what i was talking about the 10 lug bass 8 lug toms...these sets are the best one's that Crown made..What is the asking price? i would pay up to 350.00 for this set in U.S money...Mikey

Hi Mikey,

the asking price is 490,- Euros - which means almost 700,- USD.

The same price is announced since I first bumped into the site of the seller - it´s the drum shop where I got my orange wrapped Yammies last summer (you remember?).

The Yamahas were also priced 490,- Euros, but in the end I got them for 250,-. So I think, in consideration of the "long lasting advertisement", that they also would go for less money.

Hey, that guy also still has the Star kit in that insane wrap (see pic), which is also 490,- for more than two years now - maybe his standard-price for mij?:D

According to what Ralf told me, two years ago the same asking price also included a snare that has been sold extra meanwhile.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

(And, once again, sorry Wayne!)

Lissy

1 attachments
Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny! FZ
Posted on 13 years ago

From Lissy

Hi Mikey,the asking price is 490,- Euros - which means almost 700,- USD. The same price is announced since I first bumped into the site of the seller - it´s the drum shop where I got my orange wrapped Yammies last summer (you remember?).The Yamahas were also priced 490,- Euros, but in the end I got them for 250,-. So I think, in consideration of the "long lasting advertisement", that they also would go for less money. Hey, that guy also still has the Star kit in that insane wrap (see pic), which is also 490,- for more than two years now - maybe his standard-price for mij?:DAccording to what Ralf told me, two years ago the same asking price also included a snare that has been sold extra meanwhile.Thank you for sharing your knowledge!(And, once again, sorry Wayne!)Lissy

Hi Lissy, Yes i remember that you got the set of yahama's great to hear that...Who know maybe the guy will come down on the set???...But at 700 U.S that's alittle high for that set....Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

I'm interested in knowing more, too. I'm currently 2/3 of the way through the process of restoring a '66 Crown 20/12/14 (my first kit). Don't know if that year makes them one of the "pretty goods" or the "throw-aways". But the kick and floor tom sound surprisingly good to me. Here's what the 14x14 is looking like.

I, in my own opinion of the tonality, prefer this era, the 3 ply era. After about 71-72, when Pearl was building tem, te quality went in the toilet.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here