Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

converting a 3-ply re-ring luddy tom shell to snare?

I wondered about that 14" tom unless it was a concert tom.

Sounds like a cool lil / big snare drum. How did you get a 13" snare side rim if you thought it was a 14? I been debating about buying a router table and experiment with the edges. This sounds like a fun project, even if it wont be worth anything except for you and me.

From asmonica

mountainhick, Oh, my bad, it's actually 9x13! thanks for the input! Drumjinx, how do you go about steaming re-rings off?also, can anyone comment on having 6 lugs instead of 8 on a 13" snare? i have enough lugs laying around(though mismatched..) to put 8 on there, i just dont want to fill the holes and drill new ones. ive never played a 6-lug snare. my assumption is that it will sound more fat and less defined with 6, but thats kinda what i want

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 13 years ago

From poppy79424

I thought it Looked like 8 lugs. How do the filled holes look on the inside?

You can sorta see them just in front of the arrows in this shot. They are in line with all the other holes.

From asmonica79424

Drumjinx, how do you go about steaming re-rings off?

I just took a large metal mixing bowl and used a clothing steam cleaner. I laid the already cut off section of the shell under the bowl and stuck the steamer under the edge. Steamed it for maybe 20 minutes. The glue softened and I carefully pried the reinforcement hoop off. It took a couple of steamings as the glue starts getting hard again as you are prying it off.

[IMG]http://www.iknowcss.com/jj/Blue%20Oyster%20Pearl%20053.1%20%28Medium%29.jpg[/IMG]

"Blaemire Archaeologist"
Posted on 13 years ago

You can hardly see the old holes. That is very cool!! I have a old beat up to shell that size. Looks like a fun project!!

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 13 years ago

From poppy79424

You can hardly see the old holes. That is very cool!! I have a old beat up to shell that size. Looks like a fun project!!

I just used a colored wood filler and then also used a stain to make it match as close as possible to the shell. I then used a tinted lacquer to blend the entire inside together.

"Blaemire Archaeologist"
Posted on 13 years ago

Great info, Drumjinx. I picked up an ol' 3 ply concert tom drilled for small classic lugs on top, with the exact intention of making a school fest out of it. This thread is like a swift kick in the rear for me to finally get going on it! Didn't you do a thread on this kit a while back and told us how you obtained NOS OBP wrap!? Thanxfor reminding us again about it!Bowing

Posted on 13 years ago

From pjn1375

Great info, Drumjinx. Didn't you do a thread on this kit a while back and told us how you obtained NOS OBP wrap!? Bowing

I did not start the thread...but I did talk a little about the NOS OBP I obtained and sold as well as posting some shots of the full kit.

Here is is.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=6932&page=2

"Blaemire Archaeologist"
Posted on 13 years ago

I mentioned that I had planned on filling some gouges in the shell, but I'm worried that the damage to the outer ply may be too great and the wood filler may have an adverse effect on the shell's response. It looks like someone was peeling off the glued on wrap back in the day and took sone strips of the outer ply with it. There are 2 or 3 strips about 1 1/2 inches wide and about 6 inches long tapering to a point where the outer ply has been ripped off. I got a can of DAP plastic wood and was just planning on filling in the voids. Can anyone comment on using such a large amount of wood filler? Will it totally kill the shell? I guess the alternative would be to leave it alone and just have an extremely ugly shell!

Posted on 13 years ago

From asmonica

mountainhick, Oh, my bad, it's actually 9x13! thanks for the input! Drumjinx, how do you go about steaming re-rings off?also, can anyone comment on having 6 lugs instead of 8 on a 13" snare? i have enough lugs laying around(though mismatched..) to put 8 on there, i just dont want to fill the holes and drill new ones. ive never played a 6-lug snare. my assumption is that it will sound more fat and less defined with 6, but thats kinda what i want

I have a six-lug 6x12 snare that I just love. It was a custom job based on a six-ply Keller shell. I also had a 6x12 DW with eight lugs and a ten-ply Keller shell, and I ended up selling the DW. The six-lugger had a much warmer, fatter tone. Not sure if that was due to the lugs or the shell, but either way--with a small-diameter shell, six lugs should be fine. It might be a little harder to tune, but I wouldn't worry much. Enjoy!

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 13 years ago

wow jinx,that's some great work,and some serious love for drums to go that far to make a snare.ultra mega cool!

http://www.drummerfish.weebly.com for drum parts, drum promos , swag, promo media and more for sale
Posted on 13 years ago

ok, finally got around to finishing this shell up. I hand filed the bearing edges after truing on a glass tabletop with 120 grit sandpaper. The bearing edges took a while, but it worked out well. I also cut the snare beds with a file and a drum sander attached to my drill. I patched missing portions of the mahogany outer ply with dap plastic wood, and flattened the scarf joint seam on the outside with epoxy putty. I also filled all of the lug holes. I ordered some quilted bubinga veneer online, and used Heatlock veneer adhesive to apply it. Unfortunately, I didnt realize quilted bubinga is one of only 2 species/grain patterns out of 60 that heatlock's website listed as problematic with their adhesive! Luckily, I was able to get through with only a little splitting which I patched up with some left over slivers of bubinga. Now I know to ALWAYS use veneer softener! I finished it with 12ish coats of formby's tung oil finish wet sanded in with progressively finer grits up to 1500. As for the hardware, Its far from period correct... I bought a PDP piccolo snare from a pawn shop and took all the hardware. To my surprise, the lugs fit(with a small amount of persuasion from a drill bit) in 2 of the 4 existing(yet patched) classic lug holes. The strainer that came off the PDP snare is actually very well built, and the action is WAY better than the p-85 on my supra so I dont feel bad about not going with ludwig hardware. then off to my local music store for tension rods. There was an issue with that though, their stock was either too long or too short, so I bought 12 of the long ones and cut about 3/4s of an inch off. Overall, I like how it sounds and i think it looks great. This shell was basically saved from the trash and I debating even keeping it at all.

2 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here