Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

converting 6 lug snare to 8

I have a Pioneer I'm thinking of converting to an 8 lugger. Two of the original lugs match up to an 8 lug rim so,would only need to drill for 6 lugs. Not certain if I have to redrill the tone control and vent hole.

Has anyone done this? If so,did it change the sound drastically? I'd like to be able to tune it higher than I can with 6 lugs. BTW, it came to me with original wrap stripped off it so,I'll be rewrapping as well. I believe the interior ply is maple.It has a 1 inch knob on tone control, P85 throw and script logo on butt. Badge was missing also.Thanks!

Posted on 12 years ago

what sound are you not getting that your looking for that redrilling the shell and having all those extra holes is going to provide?

2002 DW Collectors Blue Pearl 22,10,12,14,16,14 Snare
1940 Radio King WMP 24,13,16,14 Snare
1970 Ludwig Classic Silver Sparkle 20,13,16,14 Snare
1972 Ludwig Hollywood Blue Oyster Pearl 22,12,13,16
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig White Duco 24,13,14,14 Snare
1973 Ludwig Clear Vistalite 22,12,13,16,14 Snare
1948 Leedy Custom Painted 28,15,16,14 Snare
1988 Pearl Black Paisley 28,13,14,16,14 Snare
Posted on 12 years ago

Mostly WHY? Don't see any advantage to doing this except the satisfaction of doing the work yourself. Than go ahead.

Posted on 12 years ago

ive got the 6 and the 8 luggers. i wouldnt do that to the shell personally. but thats just me. the pioneers can be tuned up pretty high to sound nice if needed.

mike

Posted on 12 years ago

Bobby: I honestly dont think youre going to hear any difference in sound and you will end up with a swiss cheese shell. I'l leave it as a 6 lugger and experiment with different heads until you find the perfect head for that shell.

Posted on 12 years ago

Before you do that, try the following:

1.) Lube your tension rods. I generally dab just a tiny bit of Vaseline on the end and then let that work up the threads when tightening. No mess and it works well.

2.) Add some nylon washers under the metal washers on your tension rods. This is not vintage but it is a technical advance that greatly increases tuning ease. You will be amazed at the improvement in ease of tuning plus you are no longer generating metal to metal contact.

3.) Try some different heads.

If the only issue is overall tension then I would certainly try these ideas first. I have a Slingy 6 lugger from the early 60's that tunes up quite well. It is probably true that you are not going to get that as tight as an eight or ten lug snare, but I would suggest finding your Pioneer's voice and go with that. You can always get another drum that is more suitable for the higher pitch tuning.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago

And by the way, if you really have a desire for high pitched snare, check out this one:

http://www.famousdrums.com/wp/?page_id=29

This is one step away from corps style tunability.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago

There may be 2 holes of the 6 that align with the 8 on the hoop (not sure if that's really possible), but the bottom hoop will not line up with the snare beds/strainer/butt.

As others have said, not a project that is worthwhile. You may as well drill for 8 lugs and have everything line up correctly. But then, you are left with a virtually worthless drum, except as a parts drum.

I collect 6-lugs and have used them live and in the studio, they sound great.

Posted on 12 years ago

It has to be said------this is one of the more bizarre projects, I have ever come across. It rivals the guy I met who was rehammering cymbals, with a claw hammer. Clearly , you need to realign all the lug placements, to get the snare bed to line up, or you could gently extend the snare beds, I suppose.

I would plug all holes in the shell with dowels, otherwise there could be such a pressure drop, you will think you are pounding a round steak, not playing a drum(you are likely to get leaakage past the wrap). Pitch is created primarily by the heads and the wires. If you want a cracking snare drum. Get thin heads and put 12 strand carbon steel wires on it. Whatever wires you use, check them for timbre. Some wires have a much higher resonant note. A lot of modern wires are made of crappy recycled steel in order to give that snareless throaty rap, so popular in modern music. It doesn't matter ,how many lugs you have, you will be able to tune a thinner head up quite well with 6 lugs. If you go to stiffer hoops----such as 6 lug cast( they are hard to find but they are around), there will be less flex in the hoop and the shell will have to take it all.. The greasing thing tnsquint suggested will help a bit but I think the nylon washers will compress a little and relieve tension as you are taking it higher----solid washers well greased, would be better. -----------I have a lot of 6 lug snare drums that tune really high, naturally----with factory components. I have sold a few, lately and had to get them down, to please the buyers.l had to take off original , mint, carbon steel snarewires and put thicker heads on to reproduce the hatbox sound so prevalent in modern recordings. Kind of the opposite of what you are after.

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks all. I'm going to try some of the suggestions starting with the thinner head ,greasing the rods and different wires.

I also noticed I had to use a heavier stick to get a nice cross rim click on the latin tunes.I don't have this problem on my other snares.So, I may try switching rims too since I don't think it's a Ludwig top rim on there now.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here