Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

converting 6 lug snare to 8

"noticed I had to use a heavier stick to get a nice cross rim click on the latin tunes"

And, as one of the experts here pointed out a while back (you may already know this), when playing cross-stick strike the rim directly over a lug. Makes a BIG difference, especially on a 6 lugger (the distance between lugs is greater).

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 12 years ago

And also, having the butt-end of the stick pointed out over the rim gives the best sound as well, in my opinion. More weight=higher impact=more tone and volume.

Posted on 12 years ago

From Bobby Cee

Thanks all. I'm going to try some of the suggestions starting with the thinner head ,greasing the rods and different wires. I also noticed I had to use a heavier stick to get a nice cross rim click on the latin tunes.I don't have this problem on my other snares.So, I may try switching rims too since I don't think it's a Ludwig top rim on there now.

I put a 2.3mm top hoop on my '64 Pioneer and that allowed me to crank the top head tighter and gave me the sound I was looking for. I love my Pioneer!

- EMD
Posted on 12 years ago

That is great news. Much easier than rebuilding the entire drum. Six lug snares are pretty cool.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks again all. I changed the head to an Attack 1 ply thin and top rim to vintage Ludwig (I had originally put a generic set on the shell when I got it) a few weeks back and finally got to gig with it yesterday and the difference was night and day.I didn't even change the wires yet but the snare was sensitive all around the batter head. My band leader commented ,thought I had a new drum! So,I guess this drum will get the blue oyster wrap to match my set.

Posted on 12 years ago

Post a pic when you are done!

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here