Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Cleaning Vintage Drum Hardware

I'm getting my kit rewrapped now, and some of the screws and washers are rusty. What is the best way to clean them? Also, what's the best way to clean the rims and hardware?

THANKS ALL!!!

Posted on 11 years ago

1. Soak in mild dish-wash detergent (Dawn is a good one,) and water for 24 hours.

2. Use any high quality metal polish you can get your mitts on (Meguires, Mothers etc.) and polish each piece as best you can.

Done...

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

A product called evaporust will clean the screws, tension rods and washers really good, wont hurt chrome. Soak them for a day or two or three.

For lugs and small chrome parts, dish soap is good but I think a product called Krud Kutter is the best, soak overnight. I dont have a container big enough for hoops so I do soak those in my utility sink with Dawn dish soap.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

I was going to offer some advice here - but these 2 guys already did for me! (I whole-heartedly agree with your advice so far)

The only couple things I would add is that you will only need a toothbrush after the soak - and they brush it very clean, shiny, and effortlessly!

Also, a very affordable route for step 2 is "rust remover/chrome polish" by Turtle Wax - comes in a green bottle for only about 2 bucks. Use a micro-fibre clothe you buy at an auto parts store or even sometimes at a dollar store. NEVER use steel-wool (except perhaps on tension rods) but then again the Evapo-rust really is amazing stuff so that you will not need any steel wool at all on the non-chromed parts.

I think that pretty much covers it all - we'll be here for anymore questions - but please - post some pics when you get done! We love to be a part of it with you (take before and during pics too)!

Best Blessings!

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 11 years ago

The final piece of the puzzle:

A good hard wax after they are clean dry and polished will keep them looking that way for 5-10 years.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks all! Some questions:

1) Will putting the metal in soapy water promote rust though?

2) What about the lug casings and hoops?

3) What kind of wax for shining?

Posted on 11 years ago

3) wax does not make stuff shine; it protects from the elements and sweat so it does not get grungy. Avoid "Cleaner-wax" as these have abrasives in them and usually silicone too (which should also be avoided)

I use and suggest 1Grand Blitz Wax- it is the best compromise between clarity and durability I have found.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 11 years ago

I feel your concern about putting the metal in water. After the soak and cleaning I heat the items up some to dry off any water. For small items I use a hair drier. If its rims, I put in them in the oven at very low temps for a short time period. You can also leave them in the sun. You just want to warm them not make them hot to touch. Remember you're just drying them, not cooking them. Let them cool off and then you polish/wax. This keeps you from sealing in water.

Posted on 11 years ago

> 1) Will putting the metal in soapy water promote rust though?

????????? Once a piece of metal has been attacked by rust, it's a permanent condition. All you can ever hope to do is, knock it back, add a protective finish and then do it all over again when the rust starts to reappear.

The soapy water knocks the surface rust off of your parts. It is 'oxygen' that promotes rust.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

Forgive my ignorance and extreme naïveté, but I don't know a thing about such matters. So to confirm, I should soak my screws, washers, rail consolette, and hoops in dish soap and water for 24 hours? What if there's no rust on the metal parts but just grime and dull color? How should I clean these parts?

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here