Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Cleaning up a Mahogany Shell

I have a really nice Slingy 20" mahogany bass drum. The grain is beautiful and shiny.

I'm trying to make a complete mahogany kit but these drums are hard to come by, so when I found a tom, I bought it.

It's not a great drum. It's an 80's 5 ply with no rings, but it's the right brand and the right finish.

My question is this; what can I do to clean it up and make it look better? It's dull and the grain is slightly raised. I'd like it a little brighter and cleaner.

I don't want to do a complete restore, just a good clean up.

Any suggestions?

Here's a picture.

Posted on 8 years ago

I've used furniture polish before with decent results.

That grain looks similar to red oak. I thought the mahogany grain was tighter and generally smoother. Probably just my monitor though.

Posted on 8 years ago

It was listed as mahogany. Up close it looks to be very dirty mahogany, although it could be red oak. Did Slingerland make a red oak finish in the 80's?

Posted on 8 years ago

I would try polish it if it's a lacquered finish. If not then perhaps smooth it down with some very sandpaper followed by some teak oil sealant for use on outdoor furniture. That's just what I'd do, but I'm certainly no woodworker, so probably best to disregard all of the above. I'm not qualified to give advice, but that's what I'd probably do.

Posted on 8 years ago

I think I got taken. It was listed as mahogany but looking at it up close it's oak. I just got it in the mail today so it's still new to me.

I got it at Music Go Round so I think it's going back.

Damn...

Here's my bass drum and the tom up close.

3 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Look and see if it has a real oak veneerfor a wrap. If so you got a cool drum. I would not send it back. Check the Slingerland catalogs around 1979 or 1980. They had a option for wood veneer finishes. I have one with teak wood veneer. They are awesome.

Posted on 8 years ago

That sucks. It really is a pretty drum though. Hopefully someone on here knows whether Slingerland offered an oak veneer at that time.

Posted on 8 years ago

No it's going back unless someone here wants an oak drum for $100.

I can't use it. I need mahogany and I checked, Slingerland did have an oak finish in the 80's.

Damn...

Posted on 8 years ago

Perhaps it's an inner ply of mahogany?

Posted on 8 years ago

Bummer it was not what you wanted. Hope you find one soon. Here is a Mahogany clean up I did awhile back.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=49918

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here