Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Citrus Mod: now you see it, now you don't

Say guys, did any of you see that "1 of only 2 made" Citrus Mod Jazz Festival snare on ebay yesterday morning (Sep 19th)?

I made a mental note to forward it onto the VDF later that morning, but when clicked on it - in my emailed ebay "feed" - ebay replied that the "listing was missing. Couldn't find it." Huh?

I've since searched for it, but it's apparently been pulled. I imagine some Ludwig expert "called" him on it.

I only skimmed thru the description - because the seller wanted $2000 for it...but it said that the seller was closing down inventory from his pawn shop. This snare had been covered by Black Panther, but a renowned drum restorer (I didn't recognize the name) had removed the covering to discover Citrus Mod wrap underneath. The seller claimed it was 1 of only 2 ever made, because "Citrus Mod didn't sell well," hence the $2000 price tag. Hmmm.

I figured that would get a conversation started, but alas - I waited too long to attempt to forward the link to you guys. Sorry.

Now you see it, now you don't.

Regards, MB

Posted on 3 years ago

First photo is the original ebay feed I received via email yesterday morning.

And the second photo is the email I received from ebay a couple hours later, when I attempted to open the link to send it along to the VDF.

Neva seen dat befo.

MB

2 attachments
Posted on 3 years ago

About five years ago I sold my Citrus Jazz fest I acquired from Liam Mulholland back in the 90's. When purchased it was the only one known to collectors.

Since then several have appeared which were wrapped in black panther originally.

Then, about 10-15 years ago Jack Lawton acquired a big citrus bass drum, 36 or 38 inch diameter. He peeled the wrap and made a few reproductions, which sold fast.

Two grand is a steal for an original citrus jazz fest imo.

Posted on 3 years ago

I suppose that is a bargain if you're into Ludwig, jazz fest snares, and Citrus Mod.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 3 years ago

From Marty Black

First photo is the original ebay feed I received via email yesterday morning. And the second photo is the email I received from ebay a couple hours later, when I attempted to open the link to send it along to the VDF.Neva seen dat befo.MB

Quick way to save $2k.

Posted on 2 years ago

Here's my Citrus Mod Jazz Festival Tribute Snare Drum! No, it's not original, but made from a Rocker shell, using wrap from Jammin' Sam. I even painted the interior white to simulate Resa-cote! I could never afford the real thing, so this will have to do!

-Mark

5 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

From idrum4fun

Here's my Citrus Mod Jazz Festival Tribute Snare Drum! No, it's not original, but made from a Rocker shell, using wrap from Jammin' Sam. I even painted the interior white to simulate Resa-cote! I could never afford the real thing, so this will have to do!-Mark

And this makes the point, beautifully, that a snare drum can be made to look and perform like any other snare drum out there....cosmetically....sonically....BUT, the reason why an all-original Citrus Mod Jazz Fest can be worth thousands, is because of rarity. Owning the real thing gives the owner a kind of exclusivity (and maybe a bit of vanity), knowing that they will be envied by many other vintage drum collectors. The same thing happens with original Billy Gladstone snare drums, too. They are ridiculously rare and they are equally ridiculously valuable.

And even as rare and valuable as an original CM JF is, it's still nothing compared to an original Martin D45 guitar....Or many other things in the world of collecting rarities.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

From O-Lugs

And this makes the point, beautifully, that a snare drum can be made to look and perform like any other snare drum out there....cosmetically....sonically....BUT, the reason why an all-original Citrus Mod Jazz Fest can be worth thousands, is because of rarity. Owning the real thing gives the owner a kind of exclusivity (and maybe a bit of vanity), knowing that they will be envied by many other vintage drum collectors. The same thing happens with original Billy Gladstone snare drums, too. They are ridiculously rare and they are equally ridiculously valuable. And even as rare and valuable as an original CM JF is, it's still nothing compared to an original Martin D45 guitar....Or many other things in the world of collecting rarities.

O-lugs!

All good points, indeed!

Decades ago, I wandered into an ABK Rocks music store on Sepulveda Blvd in Northridge, CA. There was a used, near mint, Ludwig Hollywood set in original Citrus Mod. No snare or hardware. It was there every time I visited the store. It just wasn't a color that anyone wanted. I finally decided that I would purchase it the next time I was there. When that happened, the set was sold. Bummer! I inquired as to the selling price and was told $900. Double Bummer!!! LoLoLoLo

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

From idrum4fun

O-lugs!All good points, indeed!Decades ago, I wandered into an ABK Rocks music store on Sepulveda Blvd in Northridge, CA. There was a used, near mint, Ludwig Hollywood set in original Citrus Mod. No snare or hardware. It was there every time I visited the store. It just wasn't a color that anyone wanted. I finally decided that I would purchase it the next time I was there. When that happened, the set was sold. Bummer! I inquired as to the selling price and was told $900. Double Bummer!!! LoLoLoLo-Mark

Mark,

I wonder where that kit ended up....

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

From idrum4fun

Here's my Citrus Mod Jazz Festival Tribute Snare Drum! No, it's not original, but made from a Rocker shell, using wrap from Jammin' Sam. I even painted the interior white to simulate Resa-cote! I could never afford the real thing, so this will have to do!-Mark

It would be interesting to hear a side-by-side trial of a Jazz Festival and your tribute drum. Nice looking snare.

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here