Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Chrome/clean/polish

I just bought another drum set, I must have OCD from hanging around here to much. Its a 1970-ish Fibes (Fiberglass) all metal chrome finish set, its in fantastic condition. I'm a sucker for chrome what can I say. nothing looks better on stage under lights. anyway, it does need a good cleaning. I used to have an auto detailing business, will wax polish work? how about any solvent based cleaner? then a polish? their are some areas that need something a little more aggressive, was wondering what is safe and what you suggest, I will post pics when she all cleaned up, Thanks, G

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 14 years ago

I've had some good results with Never Dull wadding polish. It's available at auto parts stores. Just tear off a patch, rub it on, then rub off with a clean rag. Does a good job, IMO. I think I paid around 6/7 bucks for it.

Good luck with your new kit.

Jeff
Posted on 14 years ago

Flitz or Blue Magic Chrome Polish:

Example:

[FONT="Arial Black"]BEFORE[/FONT]

[IMG]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii279/backbeatkeeper/Dynasonic010.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT="Arial Black"]AFTER[/FONT]

[IMG]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii279/backbeatkeeper/dyna-after2.jpg[/IMG]

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

From backbeatkeeper

Flitz or Blue Magic Chrome Polish:Example:[FONT="Arial Black"]BEFORE[/FONT][IMG]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii279/backbeatkeeper/Dynasonic010.jpg[/IMG][FONT="Arial Black"]AFTER[/FONT][IMG]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii279/backbeatkeeper/dyna-after2.jpg[/IMG]

You just gotta keep flashing that Dyna at me, don't you? ....:)

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

From kevins

You just gotta keep flashing that Dyna at me, don't you? ....:)

Sorry Kevin, that's the only pics I have accesible of my Dynas. It was meant for demo purposes to show how well the polish works.

On a side note, tooting my own horn. I sold a Dyna shell and the buyer didn't leave a feedback for a few days, so I emailed him to see if all was okay. He said yes and asked how the heck I got the drum polished up so well. Told him my secret and lots of elbow grease.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

From backbeatkeeper

Sorry Kevin, that's the only pics I have accesible of my Dynas. It was meant for demo purposes to show how well the polish works.On a side note, tooting my own horn. I sold a Dyna shell and the buyer didn't leave a feedback for a few days, so I emailed him to see if all was okay. He said yes and asked how the heck I got the drum polished up so well. Told him my secret and lots of elbow grease.

It's just making me itch harder for one!!...LOL

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

I get astounding results, and cut a step out by using nothing more that Turtle Wax Rubbing compound. It takes all the crud off the chrome, and leaves a protective layer as well. It is a tad time consuoming, but I have a new toy/tool in my restoration arsenal. A sonic spin detailing brush with multiple heads for differing areas and places and surfaces. Works great for nooks and crannies, flat spots, all sorts of flat and oddball surfaces. All my chrome shines to burn the eyes, even some of the previously rusty. I just finished putting together an orphan snare WMP, using a couple of new tricks on it. The brush did all of the chrome and got quite a bit of the rust off. I am not done, but had to get it together to see what I need to do to it to get good sound. It is crispy, but without a muffler, it has some overtone. It is coming along nicely as is the rest of the kit it is going to find a home with. These hoops were in really bad shape, as kevin can attest. There are by no means finished, as this was only to get an idea of how it sounds. It's going to be a great little snare when I am done with it. Fot the shell, and it is old celluloid, I have scrubbed it down with a little 409 and then after a clear water rinse cycle, I put this Eagle One Wax as You Dry protectant on it and it feels like slik, and shines brightly.

1 attachments
"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

FYI,the stuff I use Blue Magic, I noticed has silicone in it, so it does leave a protective coating.

Posted on 14 years ago

I use Maas Metal Polish. It works great and is safe for most surfaces, including drum wraps. In fact, it does a great job on polishing drum wraps as well. The only surface I wouldn't use it for is a lacquered finish.

Norm

1964 Slingerland Stage Band in Black Diamond Pearl
Posted on 14 years ago

Along the lines of Never Dull, I have used Cape Cod cloths with good success. Works especially well on Nickel plating. For serious gunk like tape residue I use Goof Off or De-Solv-It (both orange-based cleaners) which break up the gummy stuff quickly...plus it smells OK.

Jeff

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here