Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Camco project revised

Happy Easter to all, not going to work today, gonna do fun stuff. One thing will be getting this thread going.

You might remember the silver sparkle Camco kit I scored last year, I never finished the job due to a lack of parts. Well, I just received a bunch of parts form a very good person from VDF. I will use the parts to finish my kit and also trade for parts that I still need. I have not yet decided what to do with the bass drum holes. The triangular tom mount will take care of the big hole but my problem is the 12" tom has the incorrect mount for that whole type of system. And I do not want to drill new holes in the 12. So, I am thinking (for now anyway) to plug the holes in the bass drum and make it a virgin. I have some vintage wrap coming soon that I think will match very good. Any ideas or advice would be welcome.

Parts I need= 1- 12" Camco cob hoop, and one 14" for floor tom

Two mufflers.

One 20" bass drum hoop with inlay

Some of those very thick washers and possible correct t-rods, I will have to take a count on those.

2 attachments

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

Solved one problem, the missing spurs. This drum had to be ordered with front and back spurs, the holes were perfect. Wonder why someone removed the back set, too hard to set up??

2 attachments

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 9 years ago

Super cool project and going to be awesome with the club date floor tom. If the wrap don't match when it comes, I'd consider just carriage bolts for the small holes and a three-washer solution for the big one - one washer that fits perfectly in the hole [possibly rubber] and one on either side slightly bigger to cap it off, with again a carriage bolt. The middle rubber washer could be slightly under-sized to expand on being tightened down. I say this only in case trying to invisible-ize the big hole might look worse....but if anyone can pull it off it'd be you.

Those spurs sure do look like Ludwig curved spurs. Is that what Camco used?

Mitch

Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion Mitch. I hope to get the wrap today, I am really counting on it to match because this tom mounting hardware is looking like a bust.

And yes they do look like Ludwig spurs but they are Camco

2 attachments

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 9 years ago

The penalty for drilling a Camco shell should be 5 years of hard labor.

My shells suffer the same affliction. Good luck. Love the sparkle.

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 9 years ago

If you want something just to get by for now on the 12" tom, a vintage Ludwig tom mount will fit the top and bottom hole pattern. That's what I am using on my 12" Camco tom with a double tom stand. Or use a snare stand.

Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks Tim. I have all of the hardware to mount and play the kit, its just a very ugly home made thing. Your right, the mount on the 12 will fit a Ludwig L arm, its the rest of the mount system that is goofy. I would not mind using a Ludwig rail mount system, if it would bolt on without drilling more holes then I would do that.

No wrap today but I found this little piece with my new box of Camco parts. I saw a pic of a drum with one of these and the guy had a cow bell mounted from it, pretty great way to fill in the large hole!

1 attachments

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 9 years ago

Ha ha yeah that looks neat. If it tightens up nice in there I'd say you have your fix for the big hole [hmmmmm, keep it clean folks! :)]

Damn those two, extra, larger small holes off to the side eh? As if it wasn't bad enough...OTOH none of this will take away one iota of the great sound you'll be getting from these shells....eh? :)

Mitch

Posted on 9 years ago

Yes Mitch, you are correct again my friend, it is all cosmetics. I am wanting to fill the hole's to make it look better. Plus I have never really made an attempt to fill in holes like this with wrap and all. So it is a challenge that I am excited to execute in hopes for a nice looking virgin bass drum as a result. But in the end it is a Camco drum, enough said.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 9 years ago

Here's my prediction - the wrap will come, it will match, and you will successfully invisible-ize these holes. They will disappear from....let's say...4 feet away.

That's my prediction. :)

Mitch

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here