Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Camco LA Walnut

Finally finished these up, as I have been waiting on some parts that just showed up. Mid to late 1970's LA's with matching stamped numbers inside. Picked them up off of this forum earlier this year. They are a 12", 13", 16", 22" setup. Non original floor tom legs and missing mufflers, which seems to be very common with the LA drums I have come across. Sound terrific. Rehabbed them the same as the other kits I have done, with total disassembly buff/polish of the shells, tumbling and polishing of all the hardware.

These I will probably end up selling though, as I am kind of full up on Camco kits(7) right now.

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

Hello, Nice kit. what are they worth now they are refinished?

Posted on 10 years ago

Very good looking kit !

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 10 years ago

I am a big fan of natural wood kits...These look absolutely marvelous!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 10 years ago

From grantro

I am a big fan of natural wood kits...These look absolutely marvelous!!Cheers

I'll second that and with billy crystal imitation for added emphasis.

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 10 years ago

Nice looking kit and great job on the rehab, but matching stamped numbers on all four shells would be a red flag for me.

Posted on 10 years ago

From Slingalud

Nice looking kit and great job on the rehab, but matching stamped numbers on all four shells would be a red flag for me.

Why is that? They are ink stamped with the # sign in front of them and this is the third LA I have seen that has had some stamped numbers on the rering portion of the shell, only one I have run across had written numbers with a pencil. On all three sets the stamped numbers matched each other and they were all traced back to the original owners so I assume it was a factory deal. I still have one other one that has stamped numbers in it on hand here yet, but not all number matching as it was put together with orphans and two of the 4 orphans had stamped numbers on the rerings also. My other one owner kit has written matching numbers on the rerings.

Looks factory done to me or else why would so many different ones I have seen have them all with different numbers?

I have attached a photo of the # that is on the rering on all four of these shells. It is very faint as are all the other ones I have seen.

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

From nopork

Why is that? They are ink stamped with the # sign in front of them and this is the third LA I have seen that has had some stamped numbers on the rering portion of the shell, only one I have run across had written numbers with a pen. On all three sets the stamped numbers matched each other and they were all traced back to the original owners so I assume it was a factory deal. I still have one other one that has stamped numbers in it on hand here yet, but not all number matching as it was put together with orphans and two of the 4 orphans had stamped numbers on the rerings also. My other one owner kit has written matching numbers on the rerings.Looks factory done to me or else why would so many different ones I have seen have them all with different numbers?I have attached a photo of the # that is on the rering on all four of these shells. It is very faint as are all the other ones I have seen.

Opinion, and from what I have seen: Most L.A. Era Camcos had no numbers what so ever. Very few single drums from matched sets I have seen or owned were in light pencil, and were probably lot #s that were supposed to be removed before shipment. The ones with hand written ink really kill me...The amount of time/labor spent on the interior of L.A. era Camcos is evident to anyone who has ever owned them. It's the 1st thing one notices and is unparalleled by any other with the exception of the Roger's Maple Dynasonic snare drums. Like I said before, just my :2Cents: and for me personally, I would'nt go anywhere near them unless I thought they could be sanded off and the shells returned to factory original condition.

Posted on 10 years ago

this is more of a question then a statement. what about DW,s first involvement in the turn over from camco to drum workshop drums. there were numbered shells? , and now used as la camco,s . i'm sure there was badges and shells, lugs and mounts left over from the original camco manufacture location. maybe there were a lot of kits that came together after the fact.

it maybe numbered as to the lot numbers in auction after camco went out of biz. ?? anyone know what exactly took place when all this took place ?

Posted on 10 years ago

From Slingalud

Opinion, and from what I have seen: Most L.A. Era Camcos had no numbers what so ever. Very few single drums from matched sets I have seen or owned were in light pencil, and were probably lot #s that were supposed to be removed before shipment. The ones with hand written ink really kill me...The amount of time/labor spent on the interior of L.A. era Camcos is evident to anyone who has ever owned them. It's the 1st thing one notices and is unparalleled by any other with the exception of the Roger's Maple Dynasonic snare drums. Like I said before, just my :2Cents: and for me personally, I would'nt go anywhere near them unless I thought they could be sanded off and the shells returned to factory original condition.

I am assuming they are then some type of lot #'s that were not cleaned off as they are very, very light and quite hard to see. They are not under the finish coat. I noticed when wiping the shells down during rehab that they would wipe right off, but I left them as they were, thinking that was "factory original", since I had seen them on other Camco drums before. My other hand written set is in faint pencil marking, not pen as I first thought as it can be wiped off easily also, so I am thinking they are lot numbers also.

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here