Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Camco Advice

G'day,

I'm thinking about buying a Camco kit. I'm pretty sure it's a 70's kit with a walnut satin finish. It has no badges and missing a few claws and rims etc. The sizes are 22/12/14/16 (C420 shells/kit)along with a host of modern day cymbals and hardware which are easily gotten. Given that it's missing the badges(ouch) parts and the 12" has been drilled for a Luddy mount any ideas on the value. I fully realize this will be a players kit maybe even a rewrap. Would this be a worthwhile adventure for around the 1300 dollar mark?

I included pic. Your thoughts are always appreciated!!!

thx

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

HI, I say Yes but maybe alittle lower in price..I would not rewrap the set at all if thats the finish that the set came with...As far as parts missing,i have seen badges go on ebay from 45.00 to 100.00 each..I also have a set of camcos that has Rogers s-o-m tom mounts[with no extra holes drilled on them] on all the drums the toms are 12,13,14,15 mounted[these are on a rogers floor tom stands and 16x16 floor tom with rogers legs and mounts thats the way the set came in years ago..To me camco mounts are not that good with the plastic piece inside the tom arm..mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks Mikey777

If the owner budges a bit on the price then I think I'll do it. I can't seem to finish one project before I'm on to the next!! Thanks for the advice.

Cheers!

Posted on 14 years ago

Am I right in guessing from the G'day that you're in Australia? If so drop me a pm with a number so we can have a chat about these.

I've had five Camco kits at one time or another (I still have three) and might be able to shed some light on some of the finer points.

If they're in Oz, despite the fact they are badgeless, I'd put money on them being LA (the later ones) because I don't believe they imported either Oaklawn or Chanute here. But expect to be laying out around $400USD for badges but I might be able to help out on some other spares dependent on what you need.

The tom legs, internal dampers and tom mounts were usually the first to go....

Posted on 14 years ago

A bigger pic would help.....did I say the price seemed OK, particularly if down here?

Posted on 14 years ago

Nice looking kit! As far as the badges go, with Camco, you can take the line right out of the 1948 flic, Treasure of the Sierra Madre. 'Badges, we don't need no stinking badges'. I'm convinced that a large percentage, maybe 25 to 30 percent, came out of LA without badges. Also, I think a much smaller percentage left Oaklawn badge-less. Personally, I've not seen that many Chanute badges. I'm not really sure the amount of kits churned out by Kustom during that period. I'm convinced that my Camco kit was shipped badge-less. There are no marks or scarring around the vents on any of the drums, inside or out. Also, sometime around 1974 I went shopping for a kit. I had a friend that worked at 'The Vox Room' in Sacramento. There was a brand new Camco kit on their floor, naked of any badges. The only way you could tell what it was is by looking at the lugs...

As far as hardware went, I've seen Camco's with Rogers, Ludwig and various other mix n match stuff. Most had no extra holes, so I'm sure it was whatever they could find at the time. The rack tom suspension system is just about the worst I've seen. I use a DW RIMS and hang a single tom off a cymbal stand. The good thing about doing RIMS mounts on these is it's all reversible, as shown in the pix of my kit.

The good thing about Camco? Do they ever sound sweet...

fishwaltz
Posted on 14 years ago

Camco often gave the option for other hardware then their own but if this was an export kit, as I suspect it is, then it would've gone out with standard issue Camco stuff.

If it is LA however the rims were all generic Japanese stuff but that stage so are easy to replace.

The only thing to watch out for that this is not a Tama/Camco - good drums in themselves but nowhere near the collectability of Camcos. Check the lugs - if they look exactly like DW, then you're fine. If they are a rounded but with a channel running out from the lug that is actually part of the lug, then they're probably Tama/Camcos (which seemed to come into Australia in comparatively large numbers).

Posted on 14 years ago

Hey guys,(and gals if it be)

Thanks for all the advice. I've been doing some research and it sounds likes it may be a good thing to buy these even sans badges. It just seems that if there's no badges it's a kit your keeping cause it's a pretty hard sell given they've lost their main identifying characteristic. I checked eflay and there seems to be a real influx of Camco hardware right now so the planets might be aligning! I'll keep you posted and again this is a great Forum and resource for people with the vintage bug!

Cheers for the Great White North!

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi, By the photo of the mounted tom--the tom at one time had a 4 screw tongue plate,bass would have a rail mount [2 hole]...If the tom mount had 2 holes only that tom mount would have been the "top of the line mount] I also think maybe the set started with a 12" mount tom and a 14" floor--16" floor tom may have been added later...mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

Ok the photos help quite a bit.

1. They seem to be painted white inside which means they are Oaklawn or at a pinch Oaklawn shells that went over to the Chanute factory, which is great in terms of collectability. The holes for a diamond mount on 12" also strongly suggest Oaklawn - by the late period they had gone over to their later nasty and not very reliable mount system. Also easier to hide the holes - originals come up from time to time but Steve Maxwell's drum shops have done an excellent modern version that is sturdy and fits all the original holes. Just got one for one of my kits (of almost exactly the same specs as this one).

2. The white painted insides also means they were originally wrapped not veneered (veneered drums had a clear lacquer inside).

3. Hard to tell from the pix but it looks like there are two different types of floor tom leg mounts (the first one is a little unclear - the second one is the real deal). If they all look like that you're cool. The legs are not original (look like Ludwig)

4. As mentioned previously the 16" was probably a later add-on but that 22" with a 12" and 14" floor would've been a very odd configuration but they did pretty what the customer wanted so anything is possible. 14" Camco floor toms are much sought after and even stripped of the original finish, still worth quite a bit.

Hope that helps a bit. Looking forward to more pix when/if you get 'em.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here