Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Calf Skin Snare head

Gents and ladies,

I just picked up a vintage Ludwig Single tension snare estimated at about 1919-1925. It has the wooden hoops on the heads and flat steel rims. It is a polished metal 13" shell, perhaps a Jazz 'Er Up model. I am looking to replace the snare head and would love to stick with calf's skin. Do I need to make my own from flat stock or can I purchase a new 0.001 head with the wood hoops (flesh)?

Also had the opportunity to see Alice Cooper last night in Orlando. Drummer Glenn XXXXX is really awesome, and has this grin painted on his face as if to say "Look, I am playing with Alice Cooper." If you have the chance live or video, his playing is worth the price of admission. Plays MAPEX and I am not a big fan (that I know of) but the sound was great with the PA.

Rudimental

Posted on 12 years ago

Either is an option.

Can you post pix?

Posted on 12 years ago
Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 12 years ago

Richard I have photos at home. I will post this weekend. I may have discovered the Ludwig "Junior 3 1/2" x 13" snare but will try a close up of the throw off. It is more than just a knob adjust.

Thanks for the reply. It may prove not to be that rare, but I am excited that it is in really mint condition sans the head and 1 thumb rod.

Rudimental

Posted on 12 years ago

Here are some photos for your consideration.

Posted on 12 years ago

Looks like you have both batter and snare side hoops. No need to make another hoop, unless you want spares. You can buy your own skin and tuck it yourself. It's not rocket science, you can do it easily. Do a search here for "Calf Heads" or "Tucking Heads". A skin should run you around $20 or so, higher if you want parchment white or fish skin. Batter side: medium to thick calf, snare side: thin to fine, calf or fish skin.

Posted on 12 years ago

For the snare side, you want slunk, which is the skin of an unborn calf. From time to time, it seems, sale of this material is banned (in the US, anyway). If you tuck yourself, make sure to tuck loosely, as slunk tears very easily. Good luck.

Posted on 12 years ago

You can also try drum factory direct for just skins, no slunk:

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=calf

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 12 years ago

It is the Junior Model 4395 made from the 1920s virtually unchanged through 1949. I have the same drum. I found a correct calm skin head for the top on ebay, but have not found a slunk for the bottom. You're lucky that the snare throw-off lever is there. They come off easily so are quite often missing. Great little snare...it will clean up nicely.

1 attachments
Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 12 years ago

Has anyone tried Remo Fiberskyns? How are they?

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here