Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

brass premier 2000 snare??

From GaryNattrass

The funny thing is that my two brass royal ace snares don't look that colour either and more like steel inside.

Royal Ace were COB (Chrome Over Brass)

Posted on 8 years ago

Interesting one, the shell is quite rippled whereas brass shells are usually quite smooth.

Also wondering if its a sprayed aluminium shell.

The square tension lugs providing they are original would put it later than '78 in the US or more likely '80 in the UK/Europe

The 5 digit serial number also puts it at least '75

Posted on 8 years ago

From dukekamaya

Royal Ace were COB (Chrome Over Brass)

Yes I know that but on the inside they don't look brass colour either.

Posted on 8 years ago

Plating is inside and out

Posted on 8 years ago

From dukekamaya

Interesting one, the shell is quite rippled whereas brass shells are usually quite smooth.Also wondering if its a sprayed aluminium shell. The square tension lugs providing they are original would put it later than '78 in the US or more likely '80 in the UK/EuropeThe 5 digit serial number also puts it at least '75

Hi, well I found a spot under the hoop where the coating was slightly chipped, when I sanded it down, it looks like a smooth brass shell. So the earlier post about a painted shell would fit. My guess is its a model 2007- everything fits that shell depth, strainer etc- but the mystery is who( factory or the owner) and WHY someone would paint it. Maybe it was getting tatty and the paint job was to cover the defects??

Most important - it sounds great, and I'm keeping it!!

Here's as good a pic I can get of the edge sanded lightly

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Perhaps a previous owner was after a hammered type look?

Good score anyway and like you said - sound is most important

Posted on 8 years ago

As other users told about the 2007, I can confirm this ís the particular model. It was sold primarily as a symphonic snaredrum.

I have one in my collection and two other, 2026 snaredrums, the symphonic double shell.

That drum is based on a 2007 model but has an extra inner liner that supports a very dry and crisp sound.

If you are able to find snare wires on any website you'll have to look for these type of wires; 656 (gut snares) 658 (nylon snares) or the 660 (wirewound snares).

The paintjob is mostly done because the lacquer will show some wear and spots after several years.

The Carmine Appice is another brass shell but this is the 2016 model.

It has a badge underneath the "P'' logo with his sign on it.

That drum is exactly the same as a regular 2000 but is made off brass.

There's only one good advice to give you;

Do not overtighten your snare wires like you can hear them choke when playing ghost notes or a piano.

Of course this goes for all parallel-action snare drums like the 2000 series.

I hope you have lots of fun with it because it is a very rare snaredrum nowadays. Cheers,

Roger

Posted on 5 years ago

From funkypoodle

I believe that is a limited edition Brass snare from around the Genista period. I have also seen a Genista brass limited edition, but I have mostly seen them with the XPK style lugs. They seem to pop up in my local ads once in while.

Its a pre-87 badge

Posted on 5 years ago

From dukekamaya

Its a pre-87 badge

Indeed dukekamaya,

I guess it's early 80's as it has the older type of diecast hoops.

The first catalog to pup up is the 80-81 catalog.

It seems to me that this drum wasn't in production too long as catalogs didn't list it anymore later on.

Posted on 5 years ago

It looks like a "project" snare drum to me. From the badge with serial number it is early to mid 1970s, the rims are the old "beer barrel" type until 1967.

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here