Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Beverley vintage late 60's floor tom. (not seen this finish before)

Hi people, i just bought a vintage 16" floor tom, off ebay.

i was attracted to this great looking finish i hadn't seen anywhere else.

since i got it i've cleaned it rite up and its shiny and looking great, though i was really wondering if anyone has seen anything like it, or cud give a name to the finish.

also ur opinions on its value would be great, and any suggestions u may have on ways i may be able to track down the rest of the kit.

apparetnly its 1967, and the wood looks like maple.

16x16

badge u can see for urself, natural interior finish.

8 lugs and diecast rims. did have a lot of surface rust, but all parts which are original, except for one lug screw, cleaned up very niceley.

pics are attatched

2 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

Wow! That's a coool wrap!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Was that the one for sale in Apple Valley??

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

no got it off ebay

Posted on 17 years ago

I saw a kit that was for sale about a month ago in California. The whole complete set, I think it went for about 400-450. It looked nice in the pictures, two 12 x 8 toms, floor, bass and snare with hardware.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

Sweet. Would that be considered your basic "bowling ball wrap" or is that terminology reserved for 3 color?

Posted on 17 years ago

Native: I happen to be in the middle of a rehab/cleanup project of a Beverley set with the EXACT SAME finish! It is an intersting finish and I've been searching for information on it as well (thats how I found your thread). I believe mine is a little older (approximately 1965.....It has the older round badges instead of the "b" badge on yours).

An old drum retailer I know called it a "Tiger Red" finish. However, I found a copy of 1965 correspondence from Beverley citing to its "new and exclusive oyster pearl finishes." A pricelist includes 4 different oyster finishes in Blue, Black, White and an "Oyster Wine." (The other listed finishes are either solid or glitter...certainly not what we have.) So while I cannot say for sure, I believe we have Beverley's "Oyster Wine" finish from that era.

Mine has been cleaning-up real nice, too. They look like maple shells, with mahogany support rings at the ends, but I'm no expert. Not sure of value...I missed the Apple Valley, CA sale Backbeat mentioned, and haven't seen too much "Beverley activity" otherwise. That old drum retailer more or less said they were Premier's economy line in the 60s & early 70s. (I'm sure you saw the article on this site discussing the Beverley/Premier relationship.)

Drop me a line and I'll send you a picture when I get the set done. (FYI--It could use a matching 16" Floor tom, so if you ever want to sell.......)

Posted on 16 years ago
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks reother4. I've seen a few of those Kent drums with that finish. It is the closest match I've seen to the finish on the Beverly drums native & I own.

Thanks for the info. & link. Keep drummin'

Posted on 16 years ago

I've seen Ajax drums in that finish. They're from England too...

http://www.coopersvintagedrums.com/sets/12ajaxxx.htm

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here