Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Beginner with a question

Hi! I am new to drumming, though I've been dying to learn for years! Even though I am short on cash, I finally broke down and bought a cheap starter set (or do you call them kits?). They are fine for learning on, but obviously I was planning on upgrading later on.

About 48 hours after taking home my new set, I was given a kind of pearlescent Rogers set from the 60s. For free! A local musician has had them since then, and he was moving and couldn't take them along, so he gave them to my grandpa, who didn't need them. So that's how I found myself going from wanting drums really badly, to having 2 complete sets in my livingroom.

After doing research (and reading posts here), I realized that the Rogers from the 60s are good drums. These are in good condition, though the heads and a few lugs need to be changed. I was also given some replacements of those as well (this elderly man seriously loved these drums). I also inherited 2 cymbals and one pair of hi hats all made by Zildjian. I don't know anything about brands, but these things sound so awesome!

The sticker on the inside says "Holiday" and Cleveland, OH. The set includes The bass drum, a snare, a rack tom, a floor tom, and 2 little bongo-looking things. They are a bit different in size, and sound exactly like bongos too! They match the rest of the set, so I am a bit confused. I tried finding these on the net, but to no avail.

Ok, so here are my questions:

What on earth are these 2 little drums that match the set, look like bongos, and sound like bongos? Does anyone else have them? Where do I put them on the set? They have a hole between them so that they can be screwed onto something. I have pieces that I don't know what to do with, and I'm sure they're involved. I should take photos of the whole set and show you all so maybe you could tell me what to do with the pieces.

Second, why does the Rogers set have only one rack tom, and my cheapy starter set has 2 rack toms? Since I haven't started lessons yet, I don't know the difference between having one or 2. If I preferred 2, could that be arranged in the future for the Rogers? I mean, without drilling holes or anything. I love instruments and anything vintage. I wouldn't drill holes into my guitars, so I am not planning on doing that to my drums either.

Third, will this older set give me problems and need to be in constant repair? Are they kind of like an older car, where they are made with better quality materials and loved by many, but are always needing tinkering?

I know that my starter kit is cheap and good drummers would think that they are gross-sounding (of course, the drummer who owns the shop that sold them to me thinks they sound fine, considering they are meant to be someone's first set. However, that's how shop owners sell stuff, so I took it with a grain of salt and assured myself that it didn't really matter right now. Plus, they don't pain me to hear them, and I'm not recording anything with them). I bought them on a budget, not realizing that free vintage drums were coming my way shortly.

Is there any viable reason for me to keep the starter kit? I spent money on them, and now I will be spending money on the vintage set for new heads. Remember, I don't play yet and am not loaded with cash. It just seems strange for someone who can't play drums to have 2 complete sets of them all over the place. One being really nice and the other being really cheap.

I mean, should I sell them (the new ones. I'm holding onto the Rogers)? They are brand new and very pretty, especially in the eyes of a kid who is dying to learn to play, and a parent who's not willing to dish out thousands of dollars for a child who may not take it up.

If so, how should I sell them? The paper? The net?

I don't know any drummers personally, so any advice that you can give would be so great! Thanks a bunch!

Posted on 16 years ago

It is not uncommon for many drummers to have many drumsets. I myself have 5. Three of which are in cases and more collectible than worthy of playing once in a blue moon. I would suggest keeping the cheap set, if you aren't in debt and restore the Rogers kit and use it in the future when you become better at drumming. Make sure that the Rogers kit is always kept in a neutral enviroment, inside the house, in an insulated room in the garage, etc. Your beginner kit, though it sounds different and is not of high quality, it is perfect for learning.

In answer to your questions: #1-Sounds like bongos, common with the 60's hippie generation #2-Manufacturers made all kinds of configurations, the 4 piece has been a solid buy and common, until the Ginger Baker, Keith Moon type of drumsets became popular, i.e. Two bass drums, more rack toms.#3 If your drumset is in good condition, it shouldn't need too much "constant repair", especially if you adhere to where you keep it.

Lastly, upload some pictures and there is a lot of Rogers nuts that will let you know exactly what you have.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

Well that's a real nice story... sounds like you got some good Karma going there and I wouldn't mess with that!

Just an idea..

Tis' the season! Call your local inner city school district, see if they have an arts impact school, if they do; call the music teacher and tell that person you have a new drum set that you can make somebody a great deal on... because you received the wonderful gift of a very, very nice vintage drum set.

Maybe that teacher can hook you up with a family or a kid who you could really impact positively with that gift.

Just an idea.. there is always ebay, craigslist, want ads, pawn shops, etc.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the fast responses!

I am in debt, that's why I fret over the multiple drum issue :( If money weren't a problem, the more would be the merrier for me :D I couldn't wait another year before getting my first set, so I put them on my credit card. I know that's stupid, but I really don't want to grow old and never learn them for the sake of debt. It just seems like a waste of life. So, I took the plunge. As soon as I sat down to play with them (which was the first time I've ever even touched drums), I knew I made the right decision! I LOVE playing the drums. I don't even know how to play, I just totally do whatever and it's fun as hell! I don't know why everyone doesn't have a set. This is a fun pastime!

I didn't regret buying them until I got the second set 2 days later, hah. The good karma came 2 days too late! :D

I am keeping them behind my couch, out of sunlight. Are there any rules as to how I'm supposed to stack them or anything?

I love the bongos. They are so weird. I can totally see myself enjoying those things thoroughly. In fact, I'd like to have more of them! I like lots of different sounds, so anything small/extra/abnormal is right up my alley.

Also, could you tell me the difference between 2 rack toms or only one?

Let me go see if I can take some good pics of them. I'll be back!

Posted on 16 years ago

Ok, here's the set. I made the image small, but hopefully not too small! I left the hardware and stuff out. Also, the bass pedal is says "Rogers" too.

Some of the lugs are missing or broken. And the lower rim (is that what you call it?) on the rack tom is missing in action. This is fixable, right?

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

A closer view of the snare (since it's hard to see in the other photo)

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

I'm not even a Rogers expert, but I can tell you right now that THAT is a nice drum set! You would do VERY well to replace the broken parts and get them into restored condition. People here can help you with that. Then, after that, it's just a matter of maintaining them as well as they have obviously always been maintained and they will MORE than suit your needs in addition to being a solid investment in a collectible drum set. In other words, they will never lose value -as long as they are maintained and treated well.

Nice Grandpa!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

The snare is a Dynasonic, more value to it if the middle has 7 line design instead of 5 line. Close up of the lugs would tell more, but I'm no Rogers expert. I am assuming that the bass drum is a different style or model as it has center lugs and the tom and floor tom do not. I believe the bass drum is a Tower and the other maybe Holiday or Powertone?

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks O-Lugs!

I just checked the bass. The inside sticker says "Spotlight". What does that mean?

Also, here's an upclose pic of a lug on the snare. Hope this helps!

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Also, can anyone tell me what I'd mount those two tiny bongos onto?

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here