Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

bassdrum mounted cymbal arm suitable for daily use?

hi,

in my never ending quest for carrying less hardware i was thinking if i should use one of those bassdrum mounted holders on my old set.

the bassdrum has the gretsch diamond style holder.

i am really scared that the cymbal might flip over...

or is the holder really strong?

thanks

Posted on 14 years ago

It has been my experience that NO these are not strong,especially for a ride cymbal.I was watching a Louie Belson video and by the end of his solo the ride was lying on the drum.My stencil set has one,and I use it for a 12" splash,which works out fine.

I installed a high performance Pearl bass mounted cymbal arm,which has a clamping device and a memory lock,and it was quite good-no movement,but I believe it has been discontinued,and it would involve drilling,if that's a problem.

You could probably machine a memory lock type part that would clamp onto the knurled rod that goes thru the diamond plate and would rest against both sides,thereby taking the stress off the t-screw.

Posted on 14 years ago

I think it depends a bit on not only how hard you play the ride but how you play it. I'm a pretty hard hitter, have been using one of these for a while now and it hasn't been a problem (and mine is the real vintage deal). But it's a 19" so that might take some of the pressure off. Worth trying if you know someone who can lend one to you.

Posted on 14 years ago

hmm, ok,

that selfmade memory lock sounds quit good.

the cymbal is a 22" with 1900 g.

i do rock it out from time to time, though i am not bonzing...

Posted on 14 years ago

I totally love the bass drum mounted L-rod cymbal holders - it`s "the look" (call me vain and petty- but that`s a drumset to me- it`s got to have one) and I have never had a problem with them slipping- I play them all the time. With that said- I use a memory lock on mine. There are all kinds of way to get a sturdy cymbal mounted there. If you need to swap out an old mounting bracket thats screws are stripped or in danger of stripping then I suggest do that- there are modern floor tom leg mounts like the Gibraltar that will not loosen on you no matter what. To add, there`s a Pearl President 1974 kit at a local jazz club I play on regularly that has a thin rod clamped from the L-rod cymbal arm to the tom mount as a brace. I think there`s a lot of soutions. It`s really late here but I`ll post some photos of solutions for you tomorrow.

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

It`s really late here but I`ll post some photos of solutions for you tomorrow.

great!

thanks.

Posted on 14 years ago

I use a 22 inch Paiste 2002 ride on my bass drum mounted cymbal stand, never had it fall or tilt. I have a Pearl/after market stand that fitted perfectly on the existing holes. I have been known to wail on that thing, and it stands up

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

The Gretsch diamond plate holders were always borderline. The ones on the floor toms failed at gigs from time to time... always fun!

I've used them at gigs for cymbals and they did work, but I had to really crank down on the wing nut, which I don't like to do.

The best thing would be to get a memory lock and machine a slot in the diamond plate. Ideally, if it's an original drum, you could buy a replacement diamond plate and machine that and store the original one so that the drum could be restored to factory condition if you wanted to later.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I agree...some mount brackets...like the Gretsch or the Ludwig Standard...also early Tamas...had small contact-points...meaning the rod would only be held there by the screw tension up against a small surface area.

As opposed to, say, Luddy and Slingy and even most Pearl brackets, which had 3 wide contact points (the screw or button, and the 2 end holes of the bracket..further away from each other than a Gretsch) so they hold the arm/rod much better. So, even though the Gretsch is cast, which makes the entire bracket stronger, its contact point is still small.

Personally, I wouldn't try anything heavier than a medium 16" on it, or maybe a very thin 18"...talking like a 1200-1300g cymbal here...I think if you do, you are really taking your chances.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

From teverson-sr

It has been my experience that NO these are not strong,especially for a ride cymbal.I was watching a Louie Belson video and by the end of his solo the ride was lying on the drum.My stencil set has one,and I use it for a 12" splash,which works out fine.I installed a high performance Pearl bass mounted cymbal arm,which has a clamping device and a memory lock,and it was quite good-no movement,but I believe it has been discontinued,and it would involve drilling,if that's a problem.You could probably machine a memory lock type part that would clamp onto the knurled rod that goes thru the diamond plate and would rest against both sides,thereby taking the stress off the t-screw.

I had one of those Pearl ones, they had it until the mid-1990's I think and yes it has been discontinued. No parts are available for it either. Too bad, as it was a good design. The only problem I had was the threads on the memory lock stripped out and I couldn't get a replacement so I had it heli-coiled.

Ludwig's shell mounted holder (the current one) is pretty much the same as the original one from the 60's with one exception. The casting for the bass drum has small memory lock notches in it now, so you can use a memory lock on the L now to keep it from slipping down as you play. Like someone else said, if its a Gretsch diamond plate, buy a new one and modify it to a similar arrangement and stash the original one away for safe keeping.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here