Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Anyone have a few of these laying around??

I am looking for two of these parts for my Yamaha Recording Custom project. The throw off and butt are adjustable on both sides and these bolt to the shell to keep the snare connection at the correct geometry. I priced these at Yamaha at almost $50 a piece....seeing that they are plastic I find that to be crazy! Just wondering if anyone by chance has any laying around or may have a resource that is more sensible on the price. Please let me know.

Rich

Posted on 14 years ago

I love that comment that "its only cheap plastic!" I'm in the auto parts biz by day and I hear it all day long. Well......I got news for all you people that think plastic is "cheap". Plastic is a byproduct of.........drum roll please.....OIL. Yep, thats right, plastic is a byproduct of oil. So, we all know what oil goes for these days......so plastic=cheap? Not in this day and age.....DOH

Ok I'm off the Soap Box

Posted on 14 years ago

I understand cost of goods.....I own my own my own business and deal with that issue every day. Not saying they should cost $1 but $50 for that bracket is crazy, don't care what it is made of. For $100 I will have new ones machined from billet aluminum, my buddy owns a machine shop and will do them for me. Again, I understand cost but you have to admit, $50 a piece is a little steep.

Posted on 14 years ago

and I didn't say "cheap plastic" I only stated that it was made of plastic.

Posted on 14 years ago

From rms25thta

and I didn't say "cheap plastic" I only stated that it was made of plastic.

No, you didn't directly, but it was implied. Common misconception is that plastic=cheap. This is what was implied in your post.

I agree that the cost is a little on the high side, but we are talking about a part that is made in a foreign country and shipped halfway across the world.....not to mention the exchange rate.......and made out of a byproduct of oil......

Ludwig keeps looking better and better doesn't it? ;)

Posted on 14 years ago

From Ludwig-dude

I love that comment that "its only cheap plastic!" I'm in the auto parts biz by day and I hear it all day long. Well......I got news for all you people that think plastic is "cheap". Plastic is a byproduct of.........drum roll please.....OIL. Yep, thats right, plastic is a byproduct of oil. So, we all know what oil goes for these days......so plastic=cheap? Not in this day and age.....DOHOk I'm off the Soap Box

Ain't that the truth!!!Eye Ball

Ludwig-dude - It's all relative, and I have a feeling we are showing our age in this one. Ouch! Laughing H

“In fact your pedal extremities are a bit obnoxious”. – Fats Waller
Posted on 14 years ago

wow....I just thought I would post on this friendly drum forum about a nice snare I am doing a restoration on and I get into the typical forum confrontation.......I typed a certain thing and then I get thrown in the corner for what "I implied" when I posted. I know all about manufacturing and cost of goods, I sell engineering software and understand injection molding very clearly. I don't care that it is a by product of oil and that it is shipped over seas, $50 for this part is plain and simple over the top. I am not going to get in a ****ing match about this, I really never thought this would be the type of response I would get from this site, don't understand in. Guess I will just continue to read on this site and not post if this is the type of crap I am going to get for stating my opinion.

Posted on 14 years ago

You might try putting ads on Craigslist and eBay (it used to be free to do, don't know if it still is) saying you're looking to buy those parts.

Or phone some major drum shops to see if they have any.

Plastic is dirt cheap, they wouldn't use it for Gatorade bottles if it wasn't. The $50 comes from the design work, tooling and so on. Once set up that part would probably be peanuts to make. But the tooling and design work cost a fortune.

Up until Bush v 2.0 water was more expensive than gasoline at 7-11. Overall oil is still cheap, that's why we haven't switched over to electric cars or cars that run on natural gas, since the technology has been there for several decades to make cars that have practically no pollution.

Posted on 14 years ago

MastroSnare......thanks.

Posted on 14 years ago

From rms25thta

I understand cost of goods.....I own my own my own business and deal with that issue every day. Not saying they should cost $1 but $50 for that bracket is crazy, don't care what it is made of. For $100 I will have new ones machined from billet aluminum, my buddy owns a machine shop and will do them for me. Again, I understand cost but you have to admit, $50 a piece is a little steep.

Today, most parts like this are "cheap plastic". They are typically made of recycled soda bottles and milk jugs, not virgin pvc pellets. And I too understand hot injection molding very well. The mold was cast more than 30 years, in my estimation, and has more than paid for itself by now. Now before anyone goes off about a companies rights..blah blah blah, the guy/gal at the machine watching it blow out hundreds/hr is making minimum wage, and is bored out of his/her skull. So are they making an innovative, new product? No. Is there any design cost to recover? No, it was recoverd years ago. That piece lilkely costs no more than .25 to manufacture, labor included. So 50bucks is steep. How do I know the guy is bored out of his skull? I used to be that guy, watching the machine blow out hundreds of pieces/hr, wearing the dunce cap, trying to entertain the other bored-to-tears workers making barely more than minimum wage, watching key chain parts fall out of the mold into the hopper, pulling a handful out every 15 mins to make su....zzzzzzz

Yes, it is "cheap plastic". Recycled plastic is used in more products than you can imagine today, and the manufacturers do not have to disclose it's content in products such as this, and I will bet one to a hundred, this is 100% recycled content, and it is so cheap, because it is gathered en masse from us, and we forget about it's uses until a discussion such as this comes up.

Soap Box :2Cents:

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here