Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Another Supra Brought Back to Life

Just finished a 1966 Supraphonic last night. It has minor pitting and minimal scratches. I think the drum probably sat on a basement floor for awhile. The bottom bearing edge had the most pitting. Probably because it was sitting underwater for part of it's life. I used the popsicle stick trick to knock off the loose chrome and used "chrome in a can" and a model paint brush to fill in the pits. I did this to make sure the rough pitting wouldn't dig into the thin snare head and it looks a little better. The chrome layer was also peeling between two lugs, but not down to the bare aluminum. This area was tacky, like tape residue. With some Flitz and elbow grease, this area cleaned up nicely. I attached some before and after shots. Sorry for the "fun house mirror" effect. Cool Dude No way around it with a Supra.

New Remo Coated Ambassador batter head, Remo Hazy Snare head and some PureSound Super 30's. I still have the original Ludwig wires, for future use. A lot of Flitz and finished off with a couple coats of Mother's Chrome Polish.

I hope my son enjoys his birthday present. Maybe he'll let me play it a little.

- Tim

Posted on 12 years ago

Wow Tim!!

Even a dyed in the wool Slingerland guy like me is drooling!

Great job on giving it a second life.

Will you adopt me?

BGT

1972 Slingerland WMP 80N
1959 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
1965 Slingerland Artist Snare
1968 Slingerland Artist Snare
1972 Slingerland Sound King COB
1963 Slingerland WMP Student Radio King
Posted on 12 years ago

Spectacular resto job on that drum! She's a real beauty. One your son can keep for life.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

what makes a supra so dam sweet, must be the wires they put it over the top

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

beuatiful job on a beautiful drum. very nice!

mike

Posted on 12 years ago

Nice work!

Your son enjoys to play it!

Posted on 12 years ago

Excellent detailing! Prettier than anything I've laid eyes on :o

I have restored a few Supras with pitting on the bottom bearing edge. As a player there is no difference in snare response, so your son can play and play and play! Nice gift...Kiss

-kellyj

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 12 years ago

Wow!.. you did a great job on bringing your Supra back to life. Kudos!

Posted on 12 years ago

Will you adopt me? Excited

Nice job. I have a beat Supra that I am considering re-chroming.

Lee

Posted on 12 years ago

Great job - that supra looks beautiful!

James

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here