Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Another Star!

Today I picked up another round badge Star snare. I have several others including two marchers but, this is my only 14 by 6 1/2 inch snare. It should be arriving in a week or so. I am really curious to hear how it sounds. It comes with good heads and Puresound wires. Has anyone played this type of snare before? What are your opinions? I know my wife will be overjoyed that I have bought another drum! Can't wait to see her smile when she comes home from work.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 8 years ago

Wow 6 1/2'' what wrap/construction is it?

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for responding, alot2008. I think I was very lucky to acquire this snare. It is COS with eight lugs. The seller assured me the chrome is in excellent condition as well.

I know it will not be anything close to a Supra 6 1/2 incher but, I am hoping it's not too bad. Who know? Maybe with some tuning and tweaking...

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 8 years ago

a 6 1/2 Star snare? That's quite unique. I bet it sounds pretty nice even with 8 lugs. Please show us pictures and let us know how it sounds. Good find!

Cheers,

Neo

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks, Neo! I'm checking the tracking a few times a day. I'm really looking forward to trying out this snare. I'll let you know how it goes.

Brian

Posted on 8 years ago

The snare arrived a couple of hours ago and it's a beauty! I've already begun to take it apart. The chrome is excellent and the hardware almost mint, The worst thing I've found so far is that one t-rod has been replaced and there is light surface rust on a few washers. I think it sounds a bit low pitched to me but, with some tuning, it should sound pretty fair. The Evans heads and Puresound wires will certainly help. I doubt if it will rival my Supra but, we'll see.

Brian

Posted on 8 years ago

I think I'm just about finished restoring this drum. Everything has been taken apart, rust has been removed from washers and a couple of lugs. A few spots on the rims were also addressed. A couple of t-rods have been replaced. I've replaced a stripped screw on the strainer. I've wrapped the lug springs with felt. Oiled. Polished. Waxed. Tuned. One more t-rod is soaking in Evaporust. Tweaked some more. We have a practice on Sunday. I think it sounds good. We'll see. Hard to compete with a late 70's Supra.

Brian

Posted on 8 years ago

Any pics? Love to see it.

Posted on 8 years ago

I'm excited to see pictures of this snare. Can't wait :-)

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks, guys. I don't even own a digital camera. I can't post pictures but, maybe it's time I learned. Years ago, my sister who is computer literate sent pictures to Ralf (a fellow member and Star expert) who was good enough to post pictures of my big ol' Star kit. Yep, time I learned.

Brian

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here