Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Aggravating Adhesive

I just removed the wrap from a '62 mahogany exterior bass drum and found a pretty nice finish underneath.

I need to remove the adhesive from the shell without causing too much damage.

I will sand and apply a couple coats of stain and clear lacquer later on, but I want to keep as much of the original finish as possible.

I've tried Goo Gone, Goof Off, another citrus based product, alcohol and acetone on small areas with no results.

The acetone actually reactivated the adhesive, and made it even stickier.

The alcohol worked somewhat, but only with a large amount of it and an even larger amount of labor..... about 15 minutes for a 3x3 patch, so you can imagine how long that will take for an entire bass drum.... damn.

Xylene and Toulene were mentioned by another forum member, but I can only find those in gallon containers for $19 each..... so I haven't gone there yet.

Has anyone gone through this with success, and how did you do it, please?

Much thanks, my friends !!

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

3M makes an adhesive remover called 3M Adhesive Remover, it comes in a white and red can and you can get it at most auto parts stores in there little paint and bodywork area. This stuff is awesome and should do the trick for you.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks GoneDrumming, I've been looking for that stuff, but there seems to be an aversion to 3M products in the stores around here.

I haven't tried the auto stores yet though...... heading there today!!

Thanks for the tip !!

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

If you don't find it let me know and I will grab a can and send it your way, it's worth the wait.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

Jasco Sealer & Adhesive Remover available at Ace...

Doesn't work on the glue on a 6-ply Luddy tho.. :mad:

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago

Next thing you may try is to PM lonecomic, remember, he will know the exact type of glue it is. Knowing the composition is going to be half the battle. Here is another idea, try some vinegar. both types, white and cider. Mom used it extensively on many types of old glues. But knowing the type of glue is going to get you more than half way home, I'm pretty sure hew would know. Of course, I am assuming this shell is Slingerland....?

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Slingy. yes

Thanks man !!

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Clapping Happy2Yes SirLaughing HLaughing H You saw the thread where the knucklehead got set on FIRE, Call or email him, I bet he has a recommendation????????????Eye Ball

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

From vintagemore2000

Clapping Happy2Yes SirLaughing HLaughing H You saw the thread where the knucklehead got set on FIRE, Call or email him, I bet he has a recommendation????????????Eye Ball

Ouch...

Found the 3M adhesive remover ...............

Eating a burger, and trying it out in a bit.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Kevins

Please let me/us know how it goes. I took off some green sparkle wrap off a bass drum, where the person wrap over knicked up black and gold ducco. It stunk horribly getting it off, haha.

Anyway, there is a ton of glue and finish left on there. I'd like to get it off, and wrap it with something else.

Cheers,

Kevin

1961 Ludwig Super Classic 22,13,16,18, WFL BR Snare WMP
1951-52 Slingerland Radio King Krupa Outfit 24,13,16 Champagne Sparkle
1960s/70s Polaris MIJ 20,12,16 Red Sparkle
2005 Gretsch Catalina Club WMP First Run
2008 Pearl Masters MCX 20,10,12,14f,16f & 14 Diamond Glitter
1999 Yamaha Stage Custom 22,10,12,14r,16f. Marina Green

...& many more...
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here