Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

A vintage reproduction of a Radio King?

Well last week I walked in to lessons and noticed what seemed to be a Slingerland Hollywood Ace next to the regular drum set. I asked about my teacher about it, Jack Lawton (The man with all the answers), and said it was actually was a reproduction he made using old Slingerland parts. I asked if this was possible with a radio king and he said sure, and showed me one he did and had in his collection (not a exact replication, some different parts.)

So let's say we did this, got a solid maple shell and maple reinforcement rings, get some good condition parts of ebay, 3 point strainer, a Niles badge, and a nice fresh white diamond pearl.

I always wanted a Radio King, after Gene Krupa play on one in so many recordings, I was convinced I want one.

So the question is, would I get the same sound of a typical 50s Radio King with a newer one custom made? Or would it better to take the vintage path.

The thing that concerns me is I don't know how Slingerland did their bearing edges at the time, and that they lathed their shells down so it wasn't always exact, meaning the shell being used will at be at best just, really "close."

I should also add about that the price will be a good amount cheaper then Slingerland produced Radio Kings of today. ($700)

Thanks.

Bopworks Hickory Jazz Drumsticks
http://www.youtube.com/user/mgimino
Posted on 16 years ago

Hi MichaelSJ!

Well, I can supply a pretty exacting answer to your query... and before I begin, I must mention that Jack lawton is a very good friend of mine. He has done quite a bit of work for me, and I have been able to help him with some Rogers parts here and there as well. Next time you have your lesson, tell Jack Tommyp says hi! Okay... you had asked,

Would a new/old Slingerland RK sound the same, or close to an already made/aged vintage RK... and the answer is... not quite. Without getting into a lengthy dissertation on the what's and what-not's of "old growth" wood and YEARS of mellowing/aging, suffice to say that THAT stuff is what makes up the missing ingredients. I say this with a certain amount of authority as I had Slingerland/Gibson build me a NEW/OLD 51/2X14 RK with left over NOS hardware, and of course a Solid Shell w/rings, and in WMP. The drum is BEAUTIFULLY built and features the 3 point throw, extended butt, and, straight sided engraved COB Slingerland RK StickChopper hoops. The first thing I noticed upon comparing it to my ORIGINAL 1955 GK/RK, was in fact, the sound. Close... but not quite... and for the reasons mentioned prior. I had that drum built in 2004, and I will say that I can already detect a difference in the sound though... it is mellowing a tad. I can only imagine that as time continues to go by, the drum will keep mellowing as the maple ages. Don't misunderstand though, the drum really sounds nice... and fat ... as you would expect a SS RK to sound. I want to mention that I requested a nice "round over" on the bearing edges, and while not quite as round as the original edges, Slingerland did a nice job as the edges aren't too sharp.

This drum is featured/pictured on the www.vintagesnaredrums.com collections page, and I will supply the link here for you to click. Have a look! http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/other_stuff/tommy_p/2004_slingerland.html Click on each picture for a larger view.

I think you would be happy with either, although the vintage RK will be the more valuable of the two, if that is even a deciding point. It could also come down to COST. What you are willing to spend... on either candidate. Hope this was of some help!

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Hi MichaelSJ!Well, I can supply a pretty exacting answer to your query... and before I begin, I must mention that Jack lawton is a very good friend of mine. He has done quite a bit of work for me, and I have been able to help him with some Rogers parts here and there as well. Next time you have your lesson, tell Jack Tommyp says hi! Okay... you had asked,Would a new/old Slingerland RK sound the same, or close to an already made/aged vintage RK... and the answer is... not quite. Without getting into a lengthy dissertation on the what's and what-not's of "old growth" wood and YEARS of mellowing/aging, suffice to say that THAT stuff is what makes up the missing ingredients. I say this with a certain amount of authority as I had Slingerland/Gibson build me a NEW/OLD 51/2X14 RK with left over NOS hardware, and of course a Solid Shell w/rings, and in WMP. The drum is BEAUTIFULLY built and features the 3 point throw, extended butt, and, straight sided engraved COB Slingerland RK StickChopper hoops. The first thing I noticed upon comparing it to my ORIGINAL 1955 GK/RK, was in fact, the sound. Close... but not quite... and for the reasons mentioned prior. I had that drum built in 2004, and I will say that I can already detect a difference in the sound though... it is mellowing a tad. I can only imagine that as time continues to go by, the drum will keep mellowing as the maple ages. Don't misunderstand though, the drum really sounds nice... and fat ... as you would expect a SS RK to sound. I want to mention that I requested a nice "round over" on the bearing edges, and while not quite as round as the original edges, Slingerland did a nice job as the edges aren't too sharp.This drum is featured/pictured on the www.vintagesnaredrums.com collections page, and I will supply the link here for you to click. Have a look! http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/other_stuff/tommy_p/2004_slingerland.html Click on each picture for a larger view.I think you would be happy with either, although the vintage RK will be the more valuable of the two, if that is even a deciding point. It could also come down to COST. What you are willing to spend... on either candidate. Hope this was of some help!Tommyp

Will do Tommy. Thanks that really was alot of help.

That "round over" part request was really important info! I assume you requested it to Slingerland, so maybe I can get that same request for Craviotto, or wherever we decide to order. Unless they don't cut their bearing edges on orders of just shells.

And after a lot of years of having the new RK, it will eventually mellow to an even better sound. Which is good, as far as I know, Krupa didn't play his first RK snare drum and use it his whole career, he kept getting new ones (at the time), which are the ones heard on the recordings I so treasure. So I would imagine I would get that similar sound I have been looking for.

Posted on 16 years ago

Hello again MichaelSJ!

Yes, I special ordered/requested the vintage type "round-over" on the edges. At the time... ( four years ago ) ... Harry Cangany, noted vintage drum authority/author, got the ball rolling for me over at Slingerland. Then I met the manager of the Slingerland drum divison within the Gibson owners group, and it was she that enabled me to get these drums built to my request/custom. I dealt with her directly, which was awesome. Typical for this type of operation, she is no longer there! I heard that the turnover in Slingerland's upper ranks is always in a state of flux... or something like that! Anyway,

I'm not even sure that Slingerland will still do this type of thing. The timing was lucky for me... plus ... I was able to help out a bit with regard to mounts/hardware placement as they had it all wrong. Turns out that the ENTIRE Slingerland workforce was but four women. And there's certainly nothing wrong with that either... I'm just sayin' that's pretty small for production. On the other hand, does Slingerland HAVE a lot of orders? Production? I have a feeling not. So,

YES!... any of the companies you have mentioned will cut the edges/beds to YOUR specs, and/or to match the Slingerland's of old. That's one of the beauties of the CUSTOM drum builder, and this would include Jack as well.

You are quite correct Michael with regard to how many snare drums a lot of these players/endorsee's used. I'm not all that up on Gene Krupa's use of equipment, but I am a HUGE BR fan and have researched quite a bit on his use of snare drums, and kits in general. Buddy used/played quite a few snare drums in his illustrious and brilliant career... although ... there were a select few that he REALLY liked, and thus played for quite awhile, but I digress.

Good luck on your project!!

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago

Man that is interesting! Thanks again Tommy.

There is one more thing I am worried about, finding a working good condition 3pt strainer. I haven't been seeing them on ebay. Do you know if I could order one from Slingerland, I know they modified it abit though.

The other place I found was http://www.ak-drums.de/Artists.html

This guy makes repros of them, but there is no information on how to buy, or even get a price!

Posted on 16 years ago

Contact Mike Curotto, he uses him for his drums and projects....

You are correct on the strainers, they are hard to find and usually sell between $100 and $175 (or more) depending on the version...

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Hey Michael!

I actually have a source for the Slingerland 3 point strainer and butt. Last I knew this guy had quite a few in stock. You are also correct with regard to "they were modified a bit"... although the "look" is still pure 3 point, and the function is perfect. Becuase I have a 1955 GK/RK with all original hardware, I'm easily able to A/B the two, and the biggest difference seems to have been a cost effective decision. There are a couple pieces on the NEW 3 point that are now one piece instead of two, read: cheaper to manufacture. Again, the operation is excellent though... no problems. And, the aesthetic's are right on. If you have any interest as to availability/price, send me a PM and I'll check on it for you!

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Hey Michael!I actually have a source for the Slingerland 3 point strainer and butt. Last I knew this guy had quite a few in stock. You are also correct with regard to "they were modified a bit"... although the "look" is still pure 3 point, and the function is perfect. Becuase I have a 1955 GK/RK with all original hardware, I'm easily able to A/B the two, and the biggest difference seems to have been a cost effective decision. There are a couple pieces on the NEW 3 point that are now one piece instead of two, read: cheaper to manufacture. Again, the operation is excellent though... no problems. And, the aesthetic's are right on. If you have any interest as to availability/price, send me a PM and I'll check on it for you!Tommyp

I PM'd you Tommy.

Anyway I went today to Jack's for a lesson and we talked about the shell. He wasn't sure that Craviotto or another company would do the round over on the bearing edges. But he knows the guys at Cooperman pretty well, and said they might do it. Cooperman primarily made rope tension drums until Ludwig needed solid maple shells for their 90th anniversary top hat and cane snares. All though they don't advertise it now, they will make a normal solid maple shell for a regular snare drum.

Also Tommy, make sure you come to the next PA drum show lol! Jack told me how you guys went to the Connecticut drum show, but how you never got around to coming down to one of ours.

Posted on 16 years ago

Hey Michael!

You know, I love JL as he is such a GREAT guy... not to mention quite talented, but I have to disagree. Custom drum builders WILL CUT any bearing edge you desire, that's why you hire them. That's what the word custom means. Perhaps not Craviotto though, as I really don't know having not had any experience with him, but others I do know, and I know they would put on the type/style bearing edges that you want. I think Jack would too for that matter! Anyway,

I did send you a PM as well... check your mail! :-) And lastly,

Man, I would love to get down to Jack's show in October. You know what has happened every year though? Gigs. Because I play a steady amount of gigs throughout the year... ( it is 2/3's my annual income!) ... it's hard to take a weekend off and lose the "squid", if you know what I mean. I figure that ONE of these years I'll have that weekend clear... but it hasn't happened yet. I always tell him if I'm working that weekend too. You know what though... I HAVE been out to the Chicago Show, because I happened to be clear of gigs that weekend. Go figure! Maybe this year??!!

Jack and I finally met at the CT Vintage Drum Show this past April. It was great to finally meet him in the flesh... and Phyllis too as I have certainly chatted with her enough times on the phone!

I'll check on those parts for you... won't happen till Monday though. I'll let you know either way!

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Custom drum builders WILL CUT any bearing edge you desire, that's why you hire them. That's what the word custom means. Perhaps not Craviotto though, as I really don't know having not had any experience with him, but others I do know, and I know they would put on the type/style bearing edges that you want. I think Jack would too for that matter!

Maybe I am not good with explaining things, but Jack doesn't seem to mention himself as a possibility for that though. I don't know the first thing about cutting bearing edges and rounding them over, so I don't even know if Jack is capable of it. I am actually confused over the whole ordeal on what he wants to do! Today I posted that he mentioned how he didn't think it was a possibility, but thought Cooperman MIGHT be able to do it because he knows the guys their well (it would be kinda similar to how you got Slingerland to round out the edges, not a "normal" option available to everyone)

Well if Cooperman will do it then that will be good, but if not, what are some companies that will? and am I looking at a big price tag? I think he has been trying to keep a lower price tag for the shell by not going completely custom, if that is the case with custom builders and their shell pricings.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here