Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

80's Yamaha Transformation

I got this 80s Yamaha Tour Custom for a song, knowing that I would change the color. It was originally red, but has aged to a burnt orange. Pulling off the heads, a strange funky smell emerged, as if this kit spent its life in a smoky bar. Tough to tell, but there were some deep gouges and rash all over it.

Stay tuned....

jim

1 attachments
'68 Ludwig Ruby Red Strata
'68 Ludwig Mod Orange
'58 Gretsch Starlight Sparkle
'69 Ludwig Clubdate BDP
'60s Ludwig Clubdate Black Lacquer / Nickel
'67 Trixon Speedfire Red
COB Ludwig Supra
Many projects
Bunch o snares
Posted on 13 years ago

For starters, I thought it would be possible to strip, then re-stain the drums. The interiors looked very good, so I didn't use any sort of stripper which might have spilled over to the inside. Instead, I hand sanded the old lacquer down to bare wood. The rack tom took about 90 minutes, floor tom maybe 2.5 hours and I have at least 4 hours into sanding the bass.

jim

2 attachments
'68 Ludwig Mod Orange
'69 Ludwig Clubdate BDP
'67 Trixon Speedfire Red
COB Ludwig Supra
Many projects
Bunch o snares
Posted on 13 years ago

You're on the road to a sweet rework. It looks like that kit has some potential. I'm watching. Neato!

What Would You Do
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks! This type of wide flat sanding pad is highly recommended for anyone who is dumb enough (like me) to hand sand.

1 attachments
'68 Ludwig Mod Orange
'69 Ludwig Clubdate BDP
'67 Trixon Speedfire Red
COB Ludwig Supra
Many projects
Bunch o snares
Posted on 13 years ago

These floor tom brackets were one of the biggest challenges. All 3 tom legs were wrapped with masking tape in an attempt to find some grip. As shown in the first & second pictures, the metal tabs inside these brackets were basically filed down over time by the tom legs. Without the tape, the tom would simply fall to the floor, even with the wing nuts cranked down tight. Being metric, the shell bolt pattern does not match anything I could find as a replacement. Used brackets would likely have the same issues.

After much trial and error, I found some metric stainless steel washers with holes slightly larger than the tom legs. I cut two washers for each leg as shown in picture 3. The washers fit tight against the bracket walls and snugly over the tom legs. After this repair, the brackets hold the tom firmly. I sit on the drum and it will not collapse.

Thanks for looking.

jim

'68 Ludwig Mod Orange
'69 Ludwig Clubdate BDP
'67 Trixon Speedfire Red
COB Ludwig Supra
Many projects
Bunch o snares
Posted on 13 years ago

Man, that takes some patience!

Posted on 13 years ago

Little update. After spending something like 10 hours sanding these drums to bare wood, the stain would not take. This may have been caused by the birch shells or maybe some remaining lacquer that is bonded deep in the wood. Or it's possible that the outer veneer is now too thin? In either event, the stain looked like crap. I priced out wrap, which would have cost more twice what I paid for the entire set. Still wanting stained drums, I found a sheet of 4x8 ft maple veneer at my local woodworkers store for $75. I wrapped all three drums and probably have enough veneer left over to wrap two snares. I used slow set yellow glue and held the veneer in place with plastic shipping wrap till the glue dried. This took several days, because it was wrapped up so tight.

'68 Ludwig Mod Orange
'69 Ludwig Clubdate BDP
'67 Trixon Speedfire Red
COB Ludwig Supra
Many projects
Bunch o snares
Posted on 13 years ago

Getting closer to that transformation!

1 attachments
'68 Ludwig Mod Orange
'69 Ludwig Clubdate BDP
'67 Trixon Speedfire Red
COB Ludwig Supra
Many projects
Bunch o snares
Posted on 13 years ago

Now you're cooking. Excellent results. Love the plastic shippers wrap idea to hold the drying maple. Great move.

What Would You Do
Posted on 13 years ago

That`s gonna look sharp with the chrome !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here