Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

70's MIJ Kit Vs. WFL Kit Video

I made a comparison recording of my Star kit and my WFL. I wanted to show that these Japanese drums can hold their own against the American ones. Obviously they don't sound the same, or as good-- but not that far off in sound quality. I recorded each kit with all the same mics, preamps, cymbals, and snare. Neither recording has any eq/compression/effects. Check it out:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rttkRuMxgG8[/ame]

Posted on 13 years ago

Cool video. I love the premise. Excellent use of the media.

I have a strong suspicion that you might be mistaken as to the type of Mahogany used in the Star drums. They usually (can't think of an exception) did not utilize African Mahogany. Instead, they used what was termed as Phillipine Mahogany. There is an extraordinary difference between the two species.

What Would You Do
Posted on 13 years ago

Oops, you're right. I meant the cheap stuff (Philippine Mahogany/Luan). I fixed it, thanks for the heads up.

Posted on 13 years ago

Let the $$$DOLLARS$$$...Do the talking!!The Band

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 13 years ago

I love what you've done here. The Star kit refurb is spectacular and will give hope and motivation to others. Some of those MIJs are very cool. Love the comparisons. Great job.

What Would You Do
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. Here is the restoration thread for that kit, if you'd like to see it.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=21961

Posted on 13 years ago

Fantastic idea. The rack tom on your 'cheap' set sounds fantastic. I see sets like this selling for nearly nothing all the time. Not long ago, a shop near my home put one on the sidewalk in the pouring rain, asking $50. On a dry day, I would have bot it. As you've shown, it's clearly possible to get them sounding good.

Thanks

jim

'68 Ludwig Ruby Red Strata
'68 Ludwig Mod Orange
'58 Gretsch Starlight Sparkle
'69 Ludwig Clubdate BDP
'60s Ludwig Clubdate Black Lacquer / Nickel
'67 Trixon Speedfire Red
COB Ludwig Supra
Many projects
Bunch o snares
Posted on 13 years ago

I goofed around with my Royal Star's and Pearl's... I intend to do the same with the Crest kit when I get them finished.

Do they sound the same as one of my Ludwig kits? Nope...

Would I expect them to? Nope...

Are they a helluva lot of fun to play? Oh yeah...

Do they look massively cool? Yep...

What more can you ask?

Great idea! I loved the video!

fishwaltz
Posted on 13 years ago

Good work. Great idea.

I use my old Pearl kits for recording. I find them easy to get a good sound from and actually prefer them to my my Ludwig kit. I do however stick to the Supra or Dynasonic snares, although I've just started experimenting with my Hayman Vibrasonic snare which sounds really cool too.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 13 years ago

kits sound great, but great playing, like the foot work.Bowing

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here