Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

64 Ludwig Downbeat, Champage Sparkle w/ Supra

I just did a deal on my dream set. I don't even have it home yet, so I can only share the photos that the seller sent.

Ludwig Downbeat set (12/14/20) with supra from the original owner who bought it in Kenosha, WI in 1964 new.

I'm astounded: All the original heads--the only thing there is he had painted his band's name in the 60s and then converted it to his own name in a white on black later on. The supra looks very nice in the photos.

The stands and cymbals in the photo came with the set in 64, save for the 66 Pearl hi-hat stand replacement, because the Ludwig one, he told me, "had no action" so he traded it in.

He said that the first time he'd taken off the bass drum head since 64 was to sell it now, and he found old newspapers he'd stuffed in there back them to mute the sound. I kindly asked him to leave the newspapers in there.

I thought "He must have repainted the black on the hoops"; but he says no: "The set only came out of its nawgahide soft cases for my shows. They went back into the cases after and never were outside during winter and have been in the cases since the 90s when I stopped playing."

The cymbals, like everything but the hi hat stand, are all as came he bought with the kit. Nothing earth shaking in terms of collectability but enough to help this guy make music every Saturday night in his wedding band and I am damn glad to have them.

Here is the info on the kit from the seller:

No date stamps in the shells, but badges are serial numbered:

Supra: Serial number 473xx

12" Tom: Serial number 522xx

Floor Tom: 14" Serial number 509xx

Bass Drum: 20" Serial number 509xx

Cymbals (all info as provided by seller):

14" High Hat Cymbals - Avedis Zildjian.

20" med/thin Ludwig "pasiste" (swiss made) [sic],

22" med Ludwig "pasiste" (Germany) [sic]

22" med/heavy Zilko (Canada).

OK so this sort of thing doesn't happen to me so hopefully I don't regret having posted all this....but I couldn't help myself. My favorite color.

Posted on 14 years ago

This set has been for sale for awhile now. I'm glad to see someone finally picked it up. The price was to high for me...But I think it wasn't a killer. Have fun with it 1964 is the best year Ludwig you could have.

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 14 years ago

Nice, matched kit! I was trying to figure out those two cymbal stands. It appears the owner has "customized" them so as to be the right height and angle every time! ;)

I don't know what you paid, but I'm sure you will enjoy the sound of them and the feel of them, too!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

I might be mistaken, but I've got a funny feeling that someone out there is just a "tad" excited! Congratulations on your purchase. Apparently, dreams DO come true!Clapping Happy2

I've got a Cleveland-era Rogers Holiday kit in Champagne Sparkle Pearl, including the matching Powertone snare drum. Champagne Sparkle is one of my favorite wraps also.

ENJOY your new "toys!"Cool1

Posted on 14 years ago

Very nice find...hope they ring and sing the way you dream they will.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

From drumbum3131

This set has been for sale for awhile now. I'm glad to see someone finally picked it up. The price was to high for me...But I think it wasn't a killer. Have fun with it 1964 is the best year Ludwig you could have.

Yes thanks for mentioning that--it was very late for me last night when I finally sorted this out and I had intended to talk about that fact: The price came down several hundred from that price plus guy was now willing to ship.

So even with shipping they were a couple hundred less than the price they languished on CL for--which as you note wasn't P00dler2 and is a great Ludwig year. Only a little more for everything than I paid for one 14" Gretsch RB floor tom!

Living in Italy I have to be prepared to pay a more retail price because that's the only way I can engineer a sale given the extra time I need vs someone who can just hop in the car and pick them up. It helps that the dollar has come off 10% against the euro so there was another hundred odd off for that as well.

I didn't love the custom cymbal stand bend myself but then again they work and I only have to go looking for a bass drum head. I'd rather the invariable issues be with a cymbal stand than a drum!

Posted on 14 years ago

Nothing like a good Italian car and a good american drum set!

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 14 years ago

From drumbum3131

Nothing like a good Italian car and a good american drum set!

Anything that moves in Italy I avoid at all costs--women first and foremost, cars second!!!

But I can't wait to have that kit over here next year!

Posted on 14 years ago

I would give the supra a close look when it gets there,looks like no "rash" ,like the aluminum ones get,If the beds are crimped it could be a cob,from what I have read there are some 60's brass with ser# out there.Even if it's not to have a supra that old and looking that good is really cool.

Posted on 14 years ago

It sure is a beautiful looking kit and a really nice history.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here