Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

61' - 64' Ludwig Black Galaxy Kit

Wow that one came out great! All the additions you made put the finishing touches on it. I remember being surprised at how good that snare sounded. Not enough is ever said about how great those 6-ply shells from the 70's/early 80's sounded. They are some really excellent sounding drums. I had rewrapped a 6-ply kit for myself that I Later sold to Kevin, that was one of the best sounding drum sets I had ever played. 6-ply shells, no re-rings. Who knew?

That's a killer snare, I can vouch for that. The way you finished it off is what did the trick. It's a beauty and one nasty sounding snare drum!

Lucky - Post up some shots of the blk. galaxy Legacy kit please! Maybe even a little report on how they sound and what you think of them.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

Wayne - it's not a rewrap. I'm sorry we lost the original thread. It was one I started at the 'new forum' which got lost when we went back to the 'old forum' format.I used a black counter-top seam sealer! (Kampel Seam-Fil) I applied it with a putty knife. The second I wiped on the sealer, the splits disappeared right before my eyes. The splits blend with the surrounding so well that you have to look hard and be 'up-close and personal' to see it. I was so nervous about the repair because it's on such a rare drum, but it came out so well, it turns out I had nothing to be worried about. I can't see the repair when I'm looking straight at it.John

John,i should have known you of all people would NEVER rewrap a finish this rare but it just looked so perfect that this was my initial thought.Congrats on an excellent repair job and i can totally understand your nervousness to tackle such a project, especially on a very rare floor tom like this one!My hands would have been shaking so badly i would have made things worse if i`d tried that repair(wouldn`t have the guts to attempt it).That counter top sealer worked miracles on that wrap and i can`t see anything from your pix at all-GREAT JOB!!! Wonder if they sell that counter top sealer in Champagne Sparkle color?

Wayne

1967 Rogers Cleveland Champagne Sparkle
1967/68 Rogers Dayton Champagne Sparkle
1966 Rogers cob 7 Line Dynasonic Snare.
1967 Rogers "Humberto Morales" Timbales.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge 14x 6.5 Black Beauty Snare.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge Red Cortex
1988 Sonor "Horst Link" HLD 590 14x8 Bronze Snare
Posted on 10 years ago

> Wonder if they sell that counter top sealer in Champagne Sparkle color?

Wayne - I was a printer for 22 years so mixing color is not a chore for me, but it's not that hard to do. The Kampel seam sealers come in different colors. Using white as your base, I'd add tiny touches of red and a dark brown until I got as close to that 'coppery' background color that you see in champaign sparkle. (To mix the color 'copper' you need; white, red, dk. brown.)

Get as close to the background color as you can. Then add some sparkles that you can buy at any craft store. Not too many either. Just a few sparkles will help to complete the blend. How close you can get to the background color will determine how 'invisible' the repair turns out.

Also, the wider the split, the harder it's going to be to hide it completely. Thinner, shorter splits like the ones I had to deal with seem to be the easiest to hide. I was very lucky, I was working with black on black. It's a very forgiving color to work with, easy to hide dookies. Color is something else. If you don't get it just right, it can end up looking as bad/glaring as the original split you were trying to hide. As far as application, just use a fresh -polished- putty knife with a clean, un-chipped edge. Put a small bead of sealer across the edge and press firmly against the shell when applying. Wait a couple of minutes for it to set-up, then wipe any excess away with the Kampel cleaning solvent on a soft rag. If you nailed the background color, it'll look as good as mine came out. You won't be able to see a thing from more than 12" away.

I hope you attempt it. You'll get a great sense of accomplishment if you pull it off. Each time you attempt one of these repairs, you'll get better and better at it. Just like drums... practice makes perfect.

John

PS - I've been known to **** off more than one or two 'purists' with some of the alterations I've made to certain drums over the years. I always had a good reason for doing it, but that doesn't matter to the purists.

Posted on 10 years ago

I have tried to get some pics but my music room is not photo friendly and there is no grass around for a sunny outdoor shot!!

I will try and get some this weekend. Thanks for letting us glom on your thread!

Also, is there any black galaxy wrap around?? I want to do a 24" bass drum to match my kit.

Posted on 10 years ago

> Also, is there any black galaxy wrap around?

Not unless you get it off of a damaged drum! It's a Ludwig exclusive, you can't buy black galaxy wrap anywhere but through Ludwig. And... you have to buy the drums it is on, you can't get sheets.

Also... the modern stuff is very thin, not like the old wrap at all in terms of thickness. The pattern on the modern version is different from the vintage original too. It's close, but different. Sorry to say, but the only way I think you're going to get a 24" bass drum in 'modern BG' so it matches the rest of your kit - is to buy one.

I wish Delmar would put it out as an available option. They did a great job with the modern Burgundy sparkle (Merlot) I don't know why they don't just run the black galaxy. It would fly off the shelves.

John

Posted on 10 years ago

If they did put it out then our drums wouldn't be as special as they are !!

I better start saving my nickles and dimes !!

Posted on 10 years ago

Lucky - If/when you can, please add a photo or two of The Legacy's. It would complete this thread perfectly. From vintage to modern in one thread!

John

Posted on 10 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

> Wonder if they sell that counter top sealer in Champagne Sparkle color?Wayne - I was a printer for 22 years so mixing color is not a chore for me, but it's not that hard to do. The Kampel seam sealers come in different colors. Using white as your base, I'd add tiny touches of red and a dark brown until I got as close to that 'coppery' background color that you see in champaign sparkle. (To mix the color 'copper' you need; white, red, dk. brown.)Get as close to the background color as you can. Then add some sparkles that you can buy at any craft store. Not too many either. Just a few sparkles will help to complete the blend. How close you can get to the background color will determine how 'invisible' the repair turns out.Also, the wider the split, the harder it's going to be to hide it completely. Thinner, shorter splits like the ones I had to deal with seem to be the easiest to hide. I was very lucky, I was working with black on black. It's a very forgiving color to work with, easy to hide dookies. Color is something else. If you don't get it just right, it can end up looking as bad/glaring as the original split you were trying to hide. As far as application, just use a fresh -polished- putty knife with a clean, un-chipped edge. Put a small bead of sealer across the edge and press firmly against the shell when applying. Wait a couple of minutes for it to set-up, then wipe any excess away with the Kampel cleaning solvent on a soft rag. If you nailed the background color, it'll look as good as mine came out. You won't be able to see a thing from more than 12" away.I hope you attempt it. You'll get a great sense of accomplishment if you pull it off. Each time you attempt one of these repairs, you'll get better and better at it. Just like drums... practice makes perfect.JohnPS - I've been known to **** off more than one or two 'purists' with some of the alterations I've made to certain drums over the years. I always had a good reason for doing it, but that doesn't matter to the purists.

John,thank you very much for the detailed info. on your wrap split repair.You are always so good to get back to all of us in need of advice and i know yours can always be trusted.I may give the repair a go sometime once i work up the courage to do so.I`ve never attempted anything like this before so NERVOUS would be an understatement!Thanks once again John for taking the time to help me out and not just me but all of us.Very much appreciated indeed.

Wayne

1967 Rogers Cleveland Champagne Sparkle
1967/68 Rogers Dayton Champagne Sparkle
1966 Rogers cob 7 Line Dynasonic Snare.
1967 Rogers "Humberto Morales" Timbales.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge 14x 6.5 Black Beauty Snare.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge Red Cortex
1988 Sonor "Horst Link" HLD 590 14x8 Bronze Snare
Posted on 10 years ago

I'm glad you find it useful. Otherwise I'm just spinning my wheels. I'm a big believer in passing on information that I have, that was freely given to me by so many generous people. Whatever little bits I picked up along the way, I hope to leave a record of it here so it's available to all of the guys who are just coming up as musicians/drummers. Especially for guys like me who just love to tinker with and restore old kits.

Paying it forward...

John

Posted on 10 years ago

I will get some up this weekend!

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here