Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

50s Radio King Dating

I have a later 1950's Radio King based on the badge. But, there is not date stamp inside the shell, nor is there a serial number to check anywhere on the drum.

How can I tell what year it is from?

Thanks

Posted on 17 years ago

Read all of this section by DrCJW

Click Here

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Will do.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Posted on 17 years ago

That's some great information!

So, a few points of clarification:

- Since my badge is the Chicago, Black & Brass, then my snare is from the 1956-1959 period

- There seems to be a difference in the red glitter used for the wrap finish. That being said, is there an "identifiable" difference in the wrap color used so I can get closer to the date of manufacture of this snare - e.g., lighter, more pale red during earlier years versus darker red when some of the darker spot showed through (reverseable wrap)

- Does the first version of the "S" (loop on bottom) on the Chicago Black & Brass badge indicate earler years - 1956-57 for example and the second version of the "S" (no loop on bottom) indicate the later few years of this production time - 1958-59?

- Are there any other telling signs that might help me get closer to the date of manufacture, like style of clam shell strainer, position of badge, etc.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to collecting Slingerland.

By the way, here are the particulars on my snare:

- 5.5" x 14"

- Red Glass Glitter Wrap

- Clam Shell Strainer

- Chrome hardware (pretty sure not nickel, too shiny)

- Chicago Black & Brass Badge

- Stick saver hoops

Thanks very much for your insights and info.

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Poorsh30:

The picture of your snare on your other post is a bit small to be certain, but if you have the second black & brass Chicago badge then with the badge being left of the throw-off your drum would date to some time during 1959 - 1960. And you should not be surprised to see the reversible wrap.

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the info.

You are referring to the loop (or lack thereof) at the bottom of the "S."

I will check later when I get home.

Since I am new to the world of Slingerland, is the reversible wrap a good thing (rare) or a bad thing....

I will wait until I check the loop before asking any additional questions.

Very much appreciate the information you are/have provided. It is very helpful and certainly information I could not readily get without being part of this great site!

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Poorsh30:

The reversible red-blue sparkle is not better, not worse, it's just a variant, cool in its own way. Actually, the number of kits coming out in Sparkling Red increased in the 1960s, making your drum in red perhaps a bit more rare, but just a bit. In any case, you have a very desirable drum.

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks very much (again) for the quick reply.

Update:

Checked the badge and it is, in fact, without the loop making this a 59-60 snare.

Now for my concerns or rather confirmation, since I am new to Slingerland snares and look to this site for help:

- My biggest concern, now that I took the drum apart, is the (what appears to be) slight separation in two places on the top edge of the lower reinforcement ring Is this normal or is this something to be concerned about and, if so, did I make a bad purchase (bad question). Or is this just something that happens over time, since the drum is about 45 years old?

- 2nd the red glitter wrap seam, due to my lack of knowledge of what is correct, is it correct that it overlaps by about 1 inch?

I am in great need of your help, as I just purchased this drum last week on Ebay, but did email him about my concerns over the seam. In your opinion, does this hurt the value of the drum and, if so, should I just return it?

Thanks so much for the information provided so far and, while new to this site, am finding it incredibly helpful and interesting.

Posted on 17 years ago

The slight separation and seam are correct. Relax, you got a cool drum.

Posted on 17 years ago

Whew, thanks.....I really like the drum, but you know what happens when you take things apart!

The drum was sold as all original except the drum heads. Having never owned a drum with a wrap, curious about the 1 inch overlap of the wrap at the seam...is this correct and is this the way all wraps are supposed to be applied?

Thanks very much for your insights, extremely helpful.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here