Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

50's Ludwig Drum Set information Please

Hey guys,

I recently picked up this kit and would like some info on it please. I tried to do a little research and found that, I it may be a Buddy Rich kit form the late 50's. The badges read WFL drums, Chicago. The snare, I have alot of questions about. The pictures I found of a late 50's Buddy Rich Super Classic all have the Muffler control knob located in a diffrent location than mine. Also, the snare butt plate is a little different. Is mine original? The drums have calf skin heads on at least one of the sides. The bass is more yellowed than the toms. The hardware and stands I think are original. It has both L-arms, but one of the holders on the bass drum is missing something to hold it. The drums have no extra holes. The cymbals are Zildjian 12" hi-hats and it has some funny writing inside the bell. I don't know if it is a signature or what. The other two are 14 & 18" Zildjian. All the Zildjian's have the z and co pressed harder in the stamp. The other cymbal is a 20" Krut ride cymbal with rivets. I haven't started to clean anything on this set, but I think it will clean up very nice. Please give me some imformation about this kit. If you need more pictures I will post them..Thanks guys

5 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

If you look inside the snare drum and there are no extra holes, then it's all original. It's not uncommon to find some things in different areas muffler-wise. The Hi-hats are probably Istanbul K's with the writing on the inside. The crashes are more than likely trans stamps (circa 40's-50's) The Krut is a lower level type cymbal, but some people like them, made in England I believe.

Cleaning wise, Novus is the best for the wrap and different people have different ideas for the hardware, just don't use an aluminum polish...

Nice kit, where did you find that one and how much she set you back?

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

Very nice find! Those should clean up well. The 'hats at least are K's Walking and probably worth a small fortune, Drumaholic will chime in on those. Post the cymbal pix and clean shots of the stamps and all the writing in the cymbal section and he'll swoop in and "learn you up on 'em". I just love these old sets, and the BR kits are cool. My one question, and I know someone is gonna laugh at me, but here it is: Why did BR use 2 16s instead of a 14 & 16? I know you can tune one high and one low, but it just makes more sense to me to have one of each. I can get all sorts of range out this set up.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

I swear I just passed on this set. If this is the same set I'm thinking about you got a pretty fair deal!:D

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 14 years ago

The hi hats, like I said, have this strange writing on the underside of the bell. I posted a picture of it. The Ludwig stamp is say's Zildjian Co, Geniune Turkish Cymbals Made in the USA. if they are K' would it say USA? They feel like the top and bottom weigh the same. They are very light.

Is this a Buddy Rich kit? What would you guys think the value be for this kit and cymbals, any ideas?

I looked inside all the drums and cannot find a date stamp. Just initials written in crayon or chalk.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi, Great Drums. Have you checked inside the shell for a red date stamp?

Is the Bass drum a 14x22"? It sounds like some of your Zildjians may be Trans Stamps. Your 12" hats with the signature could be 1930s A's. Buddy used 12" hats until the '60s! Very cool!

I'm guessin' your drums are 1955 or '56!

Posted on 14 years ago

Your Snare muffler seems to be in the same position as a '55? Compacto I have. I have a '59 Classic that if you had the throw at 6:00 and the butt at 12:00 the muffler is at 11:00. I have the same WFL Butt as well. The position of your muffler makes more sense to me. It seems that the only difference between a late '50s Classic set up and a B.Rich is a B.Rich set up had a splash mount. It would be cooler if it was a 24" or 26" and two 16s. Dave The Band

Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

Very nice find! Those should clean up well. The 'hats at least are K's Walking and probably worth a small fortune, Drumaholic will chime in on those. Post the cymbal pix and clean shots of the stamps and all the writing in the cymbal section and he'll swoop in and "learn you up on 'em". I just love these old sets, and the BR kits are cool. My one question, and I know someone is gonna laugh at me, but here it is: Why did BR use 2 16s instead of a 14 & 16? I know you can tune one high and one low, but it just makes more sense to me to have one of each. I can get all sorts of range out this set up.

I think he used one of those toms as a towel holder.

Posted on 14 years ago

My Wfl"s do not have a date stamp. I think that may have started in 1957?

If anyone knows for sure, could you please let me know. Thanks!

Buddy's 2nd 16" fl. tom was not always a towel holder.

***Rob Cook's Ludwig Books States that the ink stamps started in 1956. Thanks to Mr. Cook***

Posted on 14 years ago

What are the handwritten initials inside?

CUR , maybe?

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here