Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

50's 6 lug Olympic Snare Thoughts

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of going to check out a 50's Olympic snare but I have never played one and it is a bit of a drive to go check it out so figured I would get your thoughts on generally what they are like as far as sound and build quality.

Overall the drum looks dirty from the pictures and the hoops and throw off chrome look spotted with rust but it looks like it is all there.

I can not see any extra holes from the pictures and it looks like it does not have an internal muffler but that might not have been standard on a 6 lug.

Thanks

Posted on 7 years ago
Posted on 7 years ago

I've got a 60s Olympic snare, also 6 lug, but it's not as pretty as that one. Looks like yours will clean up nicely. They sound really good, earthy and woody. Birch shell. I find these wood shell six luggers are great for old school jazz, really authentic tones. I've got one of Kentville's kangaroo hide heads on mine and it sounds mighty. Hard to tell the difference between it and my 6 lug Gretsch Dixieland, truth be told!

Posted on 7 years ago

From R.Adam McHugh

I've got a 60s Olympic snare, also 6 lug, but it's not as pretty as that one. Looks like yours will clean up nicely. They sound really good, earthy and woody. Birch shell. I find these wood shell six luggers are great for old school jazz, really authentic tones. I've got one of Kentville's kangaroo hide heads on mine and it sounds mighty. Hard to tell the difference between it and my 6 lug Gretsch Dixieland, truth be told!

Thank you for the information! I might have to go check this one out then.

Posted on 7 years ago

Any idea of a rough range of value for a drum lime what I'm looking at?

I know Olympics do not go for much compared to most other vintage snares. I'm not looking to clean it up and sell it, just do not want to overpay.

Thanks

Posted on 7 years ago

Resale is not that high on Olympic,I would say 100.00 ish on a 6 lugger.

Posted on 7 years ago

From R.Adam McHugh

I too, have a 60's Red Sparkle Olympic snare that I've restored.

I think the shell is birch? It cleaned up nice, after sitting 20+ years in

my brother's garage. Not in love with the slotted tension rods, though.

Posted on 7 years ago

OK so I just picked up the snare and here a a few thoughts.

When I first picked it up I instantly thought "man is this thing light"! Maybe beech and birch are lighter woods than the maple and mahogany I'm used to or maybe the shell is just thin. Really do not know but it feels significantly lighter than the 60's Slinger 6 luger I have.

The yellowed white marine pearl looks better than I expected. I was thinking of trying to try to brighten it up but I think I'm going to leave the color as is.

The chrome is not in great shape but I will polish it up as best I can. I think since the chrome isn't going to be anywhere like new leaving the drum finish in the yellowed WMP will give a cool played in patina vibe.

I was surprised at how substantial the re-rings are.

The resonant head is original and was pretty excited about that but unfortunately it is punctured so will be replaced.

I'm going to use this drum as a restoration project with my boys.

Wes

Posted on 7 years ago
Posted on 7 years ago

Inside the number 39 is stamped. Anyone know what it is for?

Also it has a sticker stamped "standard 14" diameter" which I know is for the heads.

Do these help with dating the snare?

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here