Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

50's 6 lug Olympic Snare Thoughts

From gunnellett

Is there a generic key cheap and easy enough to pick up for the slotted rods? If not, I will just use a quarter until I can make something. I do not trust myself to not slip and gouge something with a screwdriver :)

Blair Holden on here, has a Premier slotted key for sale. I think he was asking $20 or $25 for it. He's in Michigan. A quarter works as well ;) In fact, that was the whole premise behind slotted tension rods. The theory was, everyone has change with them, if they lose or forget their drum key, use a quarter haha.

Posted on 6 years ago

From Trilok_Gurtu

Hey Wes!I remember that snare. Glad to see you giving it some love. Ok, here's some information for you:- That drum is from the last 50's. It's hard to find them (over here, anyways), especially with the badge intact. The badge is foil over cardboard, and was known to deteriorate quick easily. Check this out: http://www.vintageolympic.co.uk/badges.html- The number "39" inside. Most likely has to do with that particular snare model's number. My 60's Olympic 1182 has an "11", or "82" in it (can't remember which one off the top of my head. - I believe that drum is Birch shell, with Beech re-rings, same as mine.- Magnet test the hoops and lugs, good chance they're COB. - RE: Snare wires. Yup, you have the original, and correct wires (New Era-Made in England). I attached a picture of mine, I measured them, they're 13" across...so, my guess is yours are as well. Here's what I suggest: 1) If you want to keep it original, clean them up, realign them, and leave. 2) If you want to play, and enjoy the drum, take off and put aside the original wires and wires cables, replace with new ones-play. I've left my Olympic alone, all cleaned up, with all original components on. However, if I decide to play it for real (gigs, studio, etc), then I'll swap out the wires/cables for new ones. I love the look/patina of your drum. I would recommend stripping it all down, and give just a good, but thorough cleaning, and that's it. Warm, soapy water, clean rags...that type of thing. Some white lithium grease for the lugs, and boom. Hope this helps, beautiful drum ;)

Thanks for t hge info Ryan!

My snare wires at 12" long so I think they are not original. It just doesn't look right to me.

I was able to pick up a couple of drum keys from Nick Hopkins Drums. They were not a bad price considering they were shipped from England.

Wed

Posted on 6 years ago

From gunnellett

Thanks for t hge info Ryan!My snare wires at 12" long so I think they are not original. It just doesn't look right to me. I was able to pick up a couple of drum keys from Nick Hopkins Drums. They were not a bad price considering they were shipped from England. Wed

Oh cool! Nick is a good source, for sure. 12"? Interesting. Do they say "New Era-Made in England" on them? If so, probably still original...if not, then probably replacement wires.

If you wanted better fitting original wires, you could ask Nick if he has any.

Posted on 6 years ago

From Trilok_Gurtu

Oh cool! Nick is a good source, for sure. 12"? Interesting. Do they say "New Era-Made in England" on them? If so, probably still original...if not, then probably replacement wires. If you wanted better fitting original wires, you could ask Nick if he has any.

It has New Era on it.

Wes

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here