Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

3M Safest Stripper (Please resist...resist)

A while back I had to take the finish off of my old BD and it was winter time. I hadn’t removed a finish in decades and I needed something that I could use indoors with no harmful vapors etc (that old stuff really burned and was very poisonous). I used 3M’s Safest Stripper and it worked quite well.

While I was researching this product I ran across some info from collectors of old pinball machines who were using this stuff because they discovered that they could apply it for a brief time, on a machine that had been re painted, and it was gentle enough to only remove the new paint and preserve the original paint and artwork underneath.

I am wondering have any of you tried this stuff on drums? I wasn’t preserving any finish, but those who desire the preservation of an original finish might have some success using this product.:2Cents:

“In fact your pedal extremities are a bit obnoxious”. – Fats Waller
Posted on 14 years ago

I've used the 3M safe stripper twice with good results. Once was on a metal drum, and once was on a wooden shell (see below) and both came out nicely.

Your comment about leaving the product on for only a brief time held true for me also. I applied it over an enameled badge assuming I would remove both the excess paint as well as the original, but it took off the unwanted layer and left the badge as it should be! (Again, below.) Amazing!

For taking off thick coats of paint or multiple layers, I let the stripping agent soak in over night and the paint peeled right off with a putty knife. This was my experience anyhow.

-Lee

Posted on 14 years ago

From perclee

I've used the 3M safe stripper twice with good results. Once was on a metal drum, and once was on a wooden shell (see below) and both came out nicely.Your comment about leaving the product on for only a brief time held true for me also. I applied it over an enameled badge assuming I would remove both the excess paint as well as the original, but it took off the unwanted layer and left the badge as it should be! (Again, below.) Amazing!For taking off thick coats of paint or multiple layers, I let the stripping agent soak in over night and the paint peeled right off with a putty knife. This was my experience anyhow. -Lee

Perclee - Thanks for the photos & reply. Nice drum! You did a fine restoration on that one. It looks like you may have re-plated the hardware. Man that looks so good!

The way the stripper worked for you in regard to the badge is the type of technique I hope to hear more about. Maybe more folks have used it to just take a layer off and get back to the original. We’ll see. Anyone willing to experiment?

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi 510,

Believe it or not, that's the original plating all shined up with Cape Cod polishing cloths (which were recommended here on the forum). I was really surprised with how well it came out! When I reassembled it, I did move the better lugs to one side to give the drum a good side and slightly less good side if you will. What you see in the picture is the good side!

Anyone else have experiences with the 3M stripper?

-Lee

Posted on 14 years ago

I've never used it on drums but I used it on kitchen cabinet doors and it worked amazingly well. A lot better than the brutal old school products.

Posted on 14 years ago

From perclee

Hi 510,Believe it or not, that's the original plating all shined up with Cape Cod polishing cloths (which were recommended here on the forum). I was really surprised with how well it came out! When I reassembled it, I did move the better lugs to one side to give the drum a good side and slightly less good side if you will. What you see in the picture is the good side!Anyone else have experiences with the 3M stripper? -Lee

Sorry. I don't have any experience with the 3M stripper but I have plenty of experience with 36DD Strippers!!Excited

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 14 years ago

From drumhack

Sorry. I don't have any experience with the 3M stripper but I have plenty of experience with 36DD Strippers!!Excited

Geez...that's what I was hoping we would avoid, when in the title I added "Please resist...resist". I will refrain from asking you "how well your stripper worked" and "please post photos".Laughing H

Alright let's cut it out!Keep on Pl

Posted on 14 years ago

I have an old 50's Slingerland 24'' Bass Drum that was spray painted over the original WMP wrap. Would the 3M stripper work without harming the old yellowed wrap?

Posted on 14 years ago

From jomeli57

I have an old 50's Slingerland 24'' Bass Drum that was spray painted over the original WMP wrap. Would the 3M stripper work without harming the old yellowed wrap?

Jomeli57 - I wish I knew that answer too! That is partly why I started this post, to see what the possibilities are. There is a citrus based stripper that is suposed to be safe (maybe organic) too and might be gentle enough not to mess up the wrap. Here's hoping someone her will have experience with these products.

Posted on 14 years ago

Geez...that's what I was hoping we would avoid, when in the title I added "Please resist...resist". I will refrain from asking you "how well your stripper worked" and "please post photos".Laughing HAlright let's cut it out!Keep on Pl

It' sad... I wondered what "resist...resist" was all about until I saw this post... I need to get out more....

Drum gal playing:
[V-Drums: TD9&TD12, VH12, Hart Pro Snare (as tom), PD125 (2), PD105 (2), CY12R/C (W/Bell Fix), CY8, CY5, KD85, 2 Smartriggers (Ride&Crash), "Stealthed" Ludwig Snare]

[Acoustic: Ludwigs: '65 SupraPhonic, '62 Bongos
. . . . . . . . . .Slingerlands: '72 White Tiger Pearl, 20x14,12x8,9x13,14x14,16x16, w/ '69 14x5.5 & early 80's10x10 & 8x8

[Bosphorus Cymbals (Traditionals: 18" MedThin Jazz C/R, 22" Flat Ride, 16" MedThin Crash, 14" Dark HH), 19" Master Turk Ride, 2 splashes] ]
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here