Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

1980 pearl fiberglass shell drum kit

I bought the set in 1980 and i just reskinned the set. The set is all fiberglass shell and it sounds awesome,Base is very deep. My question is does anyone know the market value of this set.I have all the original hardware as well as the cymbal stands, base pedat ect.

Posted on 13 years ago

Welcome!

Well, unless the original wrap was trashed, you may have hurt the value. Any time you re-wrap a vintage kit, it detracts from the value. However, in the case of Japanese drums, it may or may not hurt the value, but don't expect to recoup your cost of rewrapping. It is of little real value to others. Is this a Pearl President kit, with some extra drums?

Can you provide details on the original kit, minus all the glitz and add-ons? Sizes and approx year? Original wrap color and reason for rewrapping? What hardware and cymbals are included?

All this is needed to address the question of value. If you are looking to sell, I suggest you go to ebay and search completed listings for actual sales, and subtract maybe 25-50% for the rewrap. If you are looking for an insurance valuation, you will need to pay for an independent appraisal, we only know what the market is, not what an insurance company would pay for fire or theft loss.

Nice looking Red Sparkle, or is it glass glitter?

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

I think "re-skinned" means new heads here.

Posted on 13 years ago

From Shawn M

I think "re-skinned" means new heads here.

Especially for the "BASE" drum.DOH

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 13 years ago

Sorry JJ's, it appears we have a pedant in the house.

Your kit looks nice. It would be great to see a photo with it set up the way you purchased it back in 1980.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 13 years ago

JJ-

Your drums are fantastic!!!

I can't give you a value, as I would try to undervalue them and get them for myself.

Naw-just kidding!!!!

But I have always fancied a Pearl fibreglass kit.

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 13 years ago

From JJ's

I bought the set in 1980 and i just reskinned the set. The set is all fiberglass shell and it sounds awesome,Base is very deep. My question is does anyone know the market value of this set.I have all the original hardware as well as the cymbal stands, base pedat ect.

A set like this is on C/L for 450.00 the set is 8''.10'' C.toms,12'',13'',16 toms 22''bass 14'' C.O.B snare Zild. 14" h-h's,16'',18'' crash's and a 20 ride.All the stands set's in Gold silk....Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

I have fond memories of my Pearl Fiberglass drum set circa 1977. Some of my all-time favorite big band drummers were playing Pearl back then (Louie Bellson, Butch Miles and Ed Shaughnessy). Pearl's White Marine Pearl wrap was especially beautiful before it started to fade...

Posted on 13 years ago

From bunnyman

JJ-Your drums are fantastic!!!I can't give you a value, as I would try to undervalue them and get them for myself.Naw-just kidding!!!!But I have always fancied a Pearl fibreglass kit.

thanks i purchased them in 1980 they were chrome. Do you have a fiberglass shell kit.

Posted on 13 years ago

So this is a re-wrapped kit? 450 is all the money, maybe more than you could get from a vintage guy. Not sure the red sparkle was even available for these drums.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here