Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

1979 Slingerland Oakwood

IT'S SUMMER BREAK!!! I get to be a drummer again ...

I picked this one up very recently. It doesn't need a huge amount of work, which excites the snot out of me.

It's a 79 Traveler in Oakwood Lacquer. The chrome was in good shape. Just needed a bit of spit and polish. Shined up beautifully. The edges are excellent and the inners are unbelievably good.

I cleaned the shells using Murphy Oil Soap. After all is said and done, I'll run some Old English over 'em just prior to slapping the hardware back on.

The exterior lacquer has that tiny hairline cracking going on. It's very minimal. I don't mind it at all. It gives it a bit of character. I love the aging that these shells have taken on.

The bad ...

I noticed when I pulled several of the heads off, there was some resistance. I found sags and wrinkles in the outer Oak veneer right up towards the bearing edges. Luckily, these are nowhere else to be found. Yeah. I pondered this one for a while. I could not figure out how to get it to lay down again. Eventually, it hit me. Push the doggone thing back and hope for the best.

So, out come the pressure do-hickeys and here we go. I tested a small area for two days and it worked. So, all of the problem areas are getting the push-down. This will take about a week as I only have enough pressure do-thangys for one side of one drum at a time. I will need to allow two days of constant pressure to ensure a good push.

Here's the first few pics.

Posted on 14 years ago

This may sound like a dumb question but did you use glue >

Posted on 14 years ago

It is an odd anomaly. It's stiff and holds its shape after being 'returned to normal'. I believe the fact that it's actually wood helps it to retain its natural shape. It's a very very thin veneer and needs to be flattened prior to any other work. Once flattened and 'normalized', I will evaluate the separation to determine if glue injection is even possible. It's TIGHT. I have a strong suspicion that if I attempt to fit a needle under there, it will cause it to crack. I'm still very early in this one. Too many variables unknown at this time. After the shape returns, we'll all take a look and see what we see.

Posted on 14 years ago

I checked the repair job and it appears to have worked very well. Just as I had suspected, there is NO space between the outer veneer and the shell. I couldn't fit a hair in there. TIGHT. The veneer sits down perfectly flat against the shell.

The shell took the Old English treatment very well. It evidently needed a drink. The shell finish is really waking up. I'm very pleased, so far.

I cleaned up the inner mounting hardware and it is looking very good. There was a bit of white powder that I thought was oxidation on it. I did a vinegar soak. Check out those bubbles. That's a clear sign of a chemical reaction with a gas as a product. I checked the gas that was produced by catching a sample in a plastic baggie and running a couple of simple tests. It was indeed carbon dioxide, as I suspected. That told me it was not an oxidation buildup. It was most likely baking soda from a previous cleaning attempt. The mounting hardware is now clean and ready to be used. I'll hit that tomorrow.

Posted on 14 years ago

Cool Daddy-O !!

That's some good info about the veneer re-press thing.......

Gonna try that .

The oxidation thing spawns a memory.

I had a Slingy tom that had the white stuff all over the interior hardware, and the tone control

arm had a series of stalactites growing on it. Four or five of them .... from a half inch to 1 and a half inches long !! Weird......

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Got the first drum complete. It's a 12 incher. Skinned it with an Evans coated G2 on top ... and just for giggles, a Ludwig Medium coated on reso.

I find myself in need of a couple of late 70's dampeners. Didn't realize I was short. Oh well.

Tapped it with a stick - felt great. Nice deep, warm, round, woody boom with sustain to burn. I'm still flabbergasted at just how amazing all these old Slingerland drums sound. I've always gravitated towards the Ludwig kits because it was my first. After living with several of each side by side, I've come to an interesting conclusion. I've sold all of my Luddy kits and have picked up two more Slingerland kits in the past couple of weeks. I don't believe my ears fit all heads and hearts. So, please don't abandon your lovely Luddys on my word. I'm just a non compos mentis Science teacher with time on my hands. Play what feels right to you.

Posted on 14 years ago

Nice job!

Oh, pressure do-hickeys?

Spring clamps and C clamps.:p

Joe

β€œI did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”
Posted on 14 years ago

Ok. Now we're making some progress. Got a second tom. This one tips the scales at 13 inches. Whooptidoo!

Skinned this one same as the other - Evans coated G2 on top ... and just for giggles, a Ludwig Medium coated on reso.

Tapped it with a stick - same nice deep, warm, round, woody boom with sustain to burn. This one has a bit more sustain than the 12 (hard to believe). My goodness ... this kit is turning out to be very magical, indeed.

I've still got a floor and a bass to go. They will take a day or two to complete. When I get it fully up and running, I'll post a vid on my YouTube site like I've done for all the other kits. This one is very quickly turning into my fave. Can't wait to get my hands on the Blue Agate kit. Should be here in a day or two. SUH-WEEEET!!!

Lovin' my summer break...

Posted on 14 years ago

That kit is looking great Michael! Love that finish and wish I could actually hear those toms! Gotta love summer vacation. Have fun!

James

β€œIt is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 14 years ago

Here's a really bad (but quick) vid of the 12 inch tom. It's not tensioned for the kit, but you will get the idea. Used an iPhone to record it. State of the art studio!

http://www.youtube.com/user/ITeachThereforeIDrum#p/u/6/4Lquu0k4Ln8

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here