Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

1976 Ludwig Classic Maple kit, any info?

Hey all, I got a 1976 Ludwig maple kit a while back on craigslist and was wondering about its exact value or if there is anything else out of the ordinary that I should know in keep it in good condition. Anyway the serial numbers line it up to be from 1976. This one has a maple cortex wrap.

I got it from an architect/business man who had got off of an old pro drummer (the drummer had kept it lying around as a collectors item I guess, but never really played it). Anyway, for the kit, plus a newer snare, high end new hats, hat stand, pedal, old cracked 60's 15" A, and a vintage K, was 475. It is my first drum set to own ever. I wasn't exactly looking to hop into vintage drums or anything, just needed a solid first kit and this was the best deal that came up... hence my cluelessness.

Ludwig blue/olive badge

Mounted toms- 9.5" x 13" and 10.5" x 14", 6 lugs

Floor tom- 16" x 18", 8 lug

Bass- 16" x 24", 10 lug

came with 3 Ludwig straight stands that appear to be evenly aged (2 match, but one has a different wingnut and some other parts vary)

Here's some pics, can take more if necessary. These are older so the cymbal/tom mount arrangements are different from how they are now

Back view

Lower view, can see the holes a bit

Close up

Damages:

-the tom mounts in general do not hold very strongly, had to glue in the bass drum post for now and lean the toms on a pillow

-one of the cymbal stands does not hold when you extend the top half (sits lowered completely as a ride stand for now)

-there are small holes drilled into each of the toms, not sure if this is standard or if someone wanted to try putting in different mounts

-some heavy wear on a bass hoop clamp screw(guess a tom was leaning on it?) and on a tom mount

-some rust buildup on the hoops, mounts, and clamps

-bass drum hoop rash

Any info would be much appreciated!

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Scythe,

That's a really nice set. A couple years a ago I got a '78 set like yours but in Mahogany Cortex. It had a similar problem with the tom mount issues. The tube would not hold tight and kept sliding down into the shell. Then I over tightened it and mashed the tube. Those older mount plates have a tendancy to get sloppy with age and the little inner retainer that the screw tightens against pretty much looses it's grip. Fortunately, here in Kansas City we have "Explorers" which is an excellent drum and accessory store.

They ordered the new P1610D plate assembly and additional P1753A memory-lock clamp or me. The new style will mount right on with no modification and is also grooved to accept the newer memory-lock clamp which lets the tube go back into the same spot every time whenever you have to tear down and reassemble. I think these were around $35 or $40 total for both.

Page 24 of this catalog show a pic of the plate assy:

http://www.ludwig-drums.com/pdf/av8140.pdf

Page 14 item 5 of this catalog shows the plate and memory lock clamp:

http://www.ludwig-drums.com/pdf/av1453.pdf

They were also able to order a set of internal mount locks that go inside the tom shell mounts that also were slipping. I can't find the number for these and they were not in a catalog but they got with Ludwig and were able to get these. I thing they were around $10 ea.

I found a replacement mount tube on ebay for around $35 as these are now discontinued. So, for around $100 I got everything working like new again. Check your area for a good drum store and they should be able to order the hardware for you. Good luck with your Maple set.

RC

Posted on 15 years ago

The proper title of your drums' finish is Maple Cortex. It's a very durable wrapped finish that was also used to laminate countertops!

As described, you can replace your failed parts.

By the way, if you call the drums Ludwig Classic Maple, it implies a newer, more modern Ludwig shell layup. Your drums are Ludwig 3-ply maple shells with a Maple Cortex wrap. (And the fact that they are 3-ply shells is a good thing)

FYI: Ludwig started the 3-ply clear maple interiors in late 1968 and they ended sometime in late 1976.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the help! So there was no specific model for the drums then? I was just going off of what the little article on the Ludwig site said, and figured they were like the 6-ply maple/poplar/maple kits described.

Here is what the little section says, although I guess I was wrong in assuming it was describing this kit.

"Beginning in 1976, the Classic series was made with new molds and a new construction; small (6" and 8") toms were 4-ply and larger drums were 6-ply maple & poplar, with no reinforcement rings. These shells were not only stronger but less expensive to make. The interior was a clear-coated natural finish."

In any case, while the plate itself is alright (screw and screw grooves a bit weak but it can hold some tension), it's mostly that like you said it does not hold enough tension to hold up the two heavy toms. While some added duct tape helped thicken the post nicely, it still slipped (hence the glue, very fancy fix : P). I'll definitely take a look at the memory lock however, as that should alleviate most of the problems. The only problem there is that there is no solid drum shop around (that I know of), just a couple generic music stores and a Guitar Center a good 25mins+ away.

EDIT: I just remembered something else! The spurs, although in good condition, only lock at a "down" and a "up" position, with nothing in between. The spurs have no rubber feet at the bottom (just a rounded tip), so with the spurs down the reso hoop of the bass drum rests on the floor instead of being up to properly resonate. Should I just find something or other to keep under the spurs, or are there some rubber feet I ought to buy?

Posted on 15 years ago

As O-Lug says, your set is 3 ply. '76 was the change over year but I have seen a mix of the 3 ply & 6 ply shells in complete sets. Usually the bass drum is 3 ply and the toms are 6 ply if mixed, but not always.

Like yours, my set also has the oversize 13" & 14" shell toms but with the 22" bass drum, 6 ply shells, and large 3/4" sliding bass spurs. As for specific model, the conclusion I came to is; these must be the "Rock Machine" set due to the oversize toms. The original 6 1/2" deep Supraphonic snare must have been separated from the set at some point and, in my case, a 5" Acrolite was added. The only other possibility is these were the "Pro Beat" set but missing the extra 18" x 18" floor tom.

Here's a couple of pages of the 76 catalog:

http://www.geocities.com/just_r_c/1976_ludwig_drumsets1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/just_r_c/1976_ludwig_drumsets2.jpg

And here is my 78 B&O set:

http://www.geocities.com/just_r_c/78BOMahoganyCortexLuddies.jpg

Back in they day, I had a '68 Hollywood set and used a hose clamp on the mount tube to keep the toms from sliding down. Kinda the poor man's memory lock before they had those.

You should contact Ludwig to see who is you nearest dealer to order parts. Also try Exprorers Drum here in KC. Here's a link

http://www.explorersdrums.com/

Anyway, nice drums and good luck getting them gigworthy.

RC

Posted on 15 years ago

O-Lugs.....you make it sound like having the later 6-ply shells is a bad thing! Those are great drums too! Keep on Pl

Posted on 15 years ago

From justrc

As O-Lug says, your set is 3 ply. '76 was the change over year but I have seen a mix of the 3 ply & 6 ply shells in complete sets. Usually the bass drum is 3 ply and the toms are 6 ply if mixed, but not always.Like yours, my set also has the oversize 13" & 14" shell toms but with the 22" bass drum, 6 ply shells, and large 3/4" sliding bass spurs. As for specific model, the conclusion I came to is; these must be the "Rock Machine" set due to the oversize toms. The original 6 1/2" deep Supraphonic snare must have been separated from the set at some point and, in my case, a 5" Acrolite was added. The only other possibility is these were the "Pro Beat" set but missing the extra 18" x 18" floor tom.Here's a couple of pages of the 76 catalog:http://www.geocities.com/just_r_c/1976_ludwig_drumsets1.jpghttp://www.geocities.com/just_r_c/1976_ludwig_drumsets2.jpgAnd here is my 78 B&O set:http://www.geocities.com/just_r_c/78BOMahoganyCortexLuddies.jpgBack in they day, I had a '68 Hollywood set and used a hose clamp on the mount tube to keep the toms from sliding down. Kinda the poor man's memory lock before they had those. You should contact Ludwig to see who is you nearest dealer to order parts. Also try Exprorers Drum here in KC. Here's a linkhttp://www.explorersdrums.com/Anyway, nice drums and good luck getting them gigworthy.RC

Actually the "hose clamp" was a factory fit from ludwig back then....most are missing now and are believe it or not, hard to find these days. (I have a spare around somewhere)

As far as Explorers....good luck with them. I've dealt with them three times and every time I've had some kind of issue with them.....try 2112online.com for ludwig parts. They are cheaper, have a better inventory of ludwig parts and have fewer screwups with the orders I've place with them.

Posted on 15 years ago

While I don't think 6-ply shells are "bad", I honestly don't think they can compare to a 3-ply shell. To me, 6-ply shells were the end of "the" Ludwig sound. That's not to say they don't sound like really nice, modern-sounding drums. :2Cents:

Posted on 15 years ago

Ludwig Dude,

I didn't know Ludwig supplied a clamp back then. Got mine from the local "Mobil" station. Never had to deal with Explorers online since they're here locally. But as for their local service, they are excellent. All my Luddy parts, stands, and accessories came from there. Sorry to hear you had issues with them. If you ever have a problem, talk to the owners Wes or Loreen. I'm sure they will fix or make it right. They always takes good care me.

Here's the mount on Explorers site:

http://www.explorersdrums.com/shop/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=167245&category_id=3d4d8ebfa4055e7c85b4b0f488be3f6c&ps_session=4368045b47ca14ae3ce5cfc5524f2a1c

Note; it's the newer type with the grooves to accept the memory clamp studs. Couldn't find the memory clamp, might have to special order.

I didn't see the mount assy on the 2112 site. But they do list alot of other vintage items. I'm sure there are other good Luddy sources in Cali where Ragingscythe is located.

As for the 6 plys, they are much louder and stonger than my old 3 plys. 3 ply sounds a little better live but the 6 ply records better. I like both. Just my .02!

RC

Posted on 15 years ago

Scythe,

To answer your question about the name of your kit, I would have to agree that it appears to be a "Pro Beat" -sans the 18 " floor tom.

Once you get that tom mount situation squared away, you will have one WORKIN' set on your hands! That Cortex finish is very durable.

I'm not sure what you are trying to describe with the spurs. Pictures?

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here