Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

1973 premier 2000 snare

Taffy....Any help you need get in touch.....sean

Posted on 7 years ago

Here is the set-up

Posted on 7 years ago

From wayne

Sean,,,so you,ve used the 0655M wires successfully on the 2000?

I've got a 5.5 inch aluminum (July 1975) Premier 2000. I bought the 0655M wires from a dealer in the UK on eBay. They work great. No problems installing them.

Peedy

Posted on 7 years ago

Hi Guys as i said earlier the 0655M snare wires buy from www.themarchingbandshop.co.uk as on ebay you will pay over the odds and this shop sell them for £12GBP grab em quick guys. I buy and sell and renew all 2000 snare drum wires from this shop. Some are now buying them and selling for a lot more on ebay....sean

Posted on 7 years ago

From seantdrums

Hi Guys as i said earlier the 0655M snare wires buy from www.themarchingbandshop.co.uk as on ebay you will pay over the odds and this shop sell them for £12GBP grab em quick guys. I buy and sell and renew all 2000 snare drum wires from this shop. Some are now buying them and selling for a lot more on ebay....sean

Thanks Sean. That's golden info as parts for Premier stuff if hard to come by in the States. 12 pounds sterling is what I paid also (maybe 6 months ago). Shipping did set me back another 5 or 6.

Peedy

Posted on 7 years ago

Hi Peedy for that price you did well for brand new wires. I also think they sell the butt and strainer parts. ....sean

Posted on 7 years ago

Hello,

Thanks Sean, that's a really valuable great post and helps me a lot to understand my 2000 better!

From seantdrums

... Ive repaired lots of these units that have bent by straightening them out then a light weld with aluminium rods. ...

As I'm no native English man, I don't understand this sentence. Can you make a pic to clarify, please?

If the 0655M fits the 2000 in the length: why can't I simply cut it into two pieces and make a 2 x 12 out of it (or just eliminate the two inner snares to keep a distance between both strands)?

Cheers, Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 7 years ago

The answer has to do with the hole centering. Do a search for 2000 series wires and you'll note that on the two pack each side has one hole centered with the wires evenly dispersed while the single has two holes on each side with most of the wires between. It would end up totally lopsided if you cut the single larger piece.

Pete

Posted on 7 years ago

From seantdrums

Hi Peedy for that price you did well for brand new wires. I also think they sell the butt and strainer parts. ....sean

Thanks Sean but sadly I've already been down that road. I got my 2000 several years back (also have a nice 1005). It was missing the chrome strainer cover on the static side and the cast anchor screws were both broken off on that same side. Sourced them on eBay and the 2000 now lives happily with my Premier kit where it belongs.

Pete

Posted on 7 years ago

Glad to see this thread. I had a recent experience with a Premier 2000.

A couple weeks ago I was looking on CL, like usual, and I see an ad titled: "Evans snare drum" for sale...I was confused, "does Evans make snare drums?".

I click on the ad, and there's a few pictures. The person was asking $55.00 CDN for the snare and a snare stand. The pictures weren't the greatest, but I can see it's a Premier...and old, I could tell by the lugs, hoops, slotted screws, etc. I contacted them right away, was over first thing the next morning.

Turns out, the guy buys all sorts of stuff, and quickly flips it. He got the snare and stand at an auction...still had the auction sticker on it. He had no clue what it was, value, etc.

I look at it closely...I'm sure its a 2000. Internally, I get very excited...my next though: " is it alum or steel?", I would have been happy either way, but do prefer COA...I ask him if he has a magnet, he did, I test it-its a COA. Yes!

So, I offer $50.00...he accepted. I sold the snare stand later that day to a friend for $30.00 (nice stand). In the end it cost me $20.00 CDN. One of those great rare scores. Total luck.

The condition is very very good. It needs a cleaning, but all original, except the batter head. Like TS, my wires are missing a couple of strands...still sounds great...but I would like to order a new set, put the originals aside. I want to PLAY this drum, so new wires would be better.

I've jammed out on it a little bit, love it...a joy to play. The strainer system is unreal, love the look of the lugs, hoops...the Brit's really did some amazing vintage gear, great build quality, hugely undervalued/appreciated imo.

So I'll order some new wires, put new heads on it, I'll put the original 'Everplay' bottom head aside, like the original wires. Strip it all the way down, give it a good Brasso clean, put it all back together...maybe do a video on it.

Thanks Sean, for the information, and link for the wires...BUT, any lead on slotted drum keys? I have a John Grey Broadway snare as well, with slotted screws...so it would be nice to be able to use it for both. I've heard that one of Sonor's slotted drum keys works with Premier...can anyone confirm this?

Anyways, that's my story. Great drum.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here