Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

1970s Ludwig Black Diamond Pearl

Hey all!

I am new here but not a new musician. :)

I recently inherited a 1970s Ludwig 6 piece Black Diamond Pearl... All original, except the snare... It seems to be some Japanese brand that was recovered to match the rest of the set. It's pretty much non-salvagable and I am in the process of purchasing a vintage Ludwig Maple Piccolo snare to put with it instead...

I have a few questions that I'd like to ask you guys... Hoping for some good advice and well, hoping to make some friends too!

Question 1 - I have some of the wrap that is starting to peel at the seam... Any recommendations for a good adhesive that won't breakdown the covering?

Question 2 - I've been researching heads to put on the kit... any suggestions on heads for the best sound?

I am going to attach a picture so you guys can see one of the finished toms. When I pulled up into my cousin's driveway... I felt like I hit the drum jackpot. Probably sounds lame, but these are pretty awesome..

Not only did I get this kit, but also extra 70s white Ludwig toms, a set of remo Roto Toms, cymbals, etc etc...

Anyway, look forward to chatting with you!

DC

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

From Drumminchick

Question 2 - I've been researching heads to put on the kit... any suggestions on heads for the best sound? DC

coated ambassadors top, clear ambassadors bottom

that is my favourite Ludwig wrap, so classy...

Posted on 12 years ago

You wouldn't believe the set up that I inherited... I couldn't believe it. I was going to go with the Ambassadors, but I wanted opinions that have more experience with the vintage kits than I do. :)

I am glad I was steering in the right direction with that!

Any suggestions for a awesome adhesive?? I don't need too much, the only drum that really needs help is the bass.

Posted on 12 years ago

Any of the 3M spray adhesives would probably work great for the wrap (77, 90, etc.).

Head choice really depends on what kind of sound you're going for.

Ambassadors or any thin single-ply head top and bottom are more resonant and do better at a slightly higher tuning. Medium or double-ply heads do better at mid-range to lower tuning, and dampen the high end a bit. Basically, more mass or plies, the deeper and more dampened in overtones the head.

I would go to a drum shop and check out what they have. I find if you tap the heads by themselves you can get a basic idea of what sort of range and timbre they're capable of.

The nice thing about good shells like yours is that they'll sound good with pretty much any type of head. Experiment and see what works!

Posted on 12 years ago

How long does that stuff take to set up??

This is probably a stupid question, but a lot of the adhesives take forever to dry and they want you to clamp whatever you are gluing down... I don't want to be clamping on the shells if I don't have to...

Posted on 12 years ago

I've only used the 77, but it sets pretty fast -- usually less than 5 minutes. You may want to clamp it down initially though so it doesn't pop back up.

Posted on 12 years ago

Any suggestions on how to clamp it safely? I don't want to damage the wrap in anyway, but I want it firmly sealed... Vice grips? C-clamps?

Posted on 12 years ago

I have used a flat piece of metal or wood that run parallel with 2 or more c clamps.I also wrap the flat metal or wood with wax paper so if the adhesive bleeds through,it won't stick to my clamping set up.

Steve B

Posted on 12 years ago

If you clamp use a piece of wood between the jaw of the clamp and the shell on both sides of the clamp, this will give you an even pressure and will keep damage from the clamp to your drum wrap. Don't over tighten the clamp either. Do a mock set up prior to putting the adhesive on you drum, this way you have a solid idea of what is going to happen and you can make adjustments to your tooling before the adhesive is down. Best of luck and use patience.

1965 Ludwig Super Classic WMP (22-13-16)
1965 Club Date/Downbeat Combo Blue Sparkle
Cleveland Rogers COB Powertone snare
1965 Ludwig Supra Snare
Posted on 12 years ago

I use band clamps and a piece of sheet metal. The sheet metal pulls away fairly easily form the adhesive. This worked well for a veneer I recently installed on a tom.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here