Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

1968 Ludwig Mod Orange Hollywood Set

I've played drums on and off for about 50 years. My first set were 1967 Ludwig Hollywoods in Pink Champagne Sparkle purchased new at Frank's Drum Shop in Chicago. Shortly after, Ludwig came out with their then infamous psychedelic series. But I secretly wished I had waited to buy a set in Mod Orange, especially after John Densmore of the Doors played them!

Anyway, I started drumming again in 2011 and was looking for a vintage set just like my old Ludwigs when a spectacular set of 1968 Mod Oranges was listed on eBay. The seller also was selling sets in Citrus Mod and Psychedelic Red. She said all three were bought from the estate of a collector in LA. I bought the Mod Oranges and have enjoyed them ever since. They have been my primary practice set and I have gigged them 4-5 times. They're kept in a humidity controlled basement with no natural light.

I recently turned 60 and decided to dial back my drumming to a single set of Gretsch Catalina Clubs which are easier to play and move around. And I made the painful decision to sell my beloved Ludwigs. I'm planning to auction them on eBay after Labor Day but wanted to give the real drummers on VDF a shot at them first.

These drums are in spectacular condition! Everything appears to be original and here are details on each drum:

Bass 22" x 14" Badge 628851

Floor Tom 16" x 16" Badge 624087

Mounted Tom 13' x 9" Badge 624058

Mounted Tom 12" x 8" Badge 623313

There is a stamp inside one of the rack toms that's blurred but says 1968 which is consistent with the style of the tom mount. The pictures don't do justice to the colors which are close to when they rolled off the loading dock at the Ludwig plant on Damen Ave. All shades of orange are bright and vibrant and the lavender is still lavender and has not faded to grey. The hardware is all is like new condition. The only sign of use is some tom rash on the top of the bass, mostly on the right side (see picture 4). All drums have relatively new Ludwig WeatherMasters although the bass has an Aquarian Superkick II on the batter side.

I'll include a set of padded black nylon covers and a ported Aquarian front bass head with a Ludwig logo on it as well as another Ludwig bass head.

I'm asking $5,000 plus the actual cost of shipping. I'll pack and ship them to your specifications. These are some of the nicest Mod Oranges I've seen and are a rare chance to own of set in this rare color. PM me if you'd like more pictures or details.

Set of 1968 Ludwig Hollywoods in Mod Orange
1964 Ludwig Acrolite Snare
Set of New Gretsch Catalina Clubs in Vintage Marine
Posted on 9 years ago

I guess the lack of responses is a clear message that something is off. Even if you're not a potential buyer, I would appreciate any feedback on price, condition, presentation etc. Thanks!

Posted on 9 years ago

Excellent drums and presentation. I think you have to give this more time, not everyone hangs out here every day. I also think the price is on the high side, it is for me anyway. I know these can bring some big money to the right guy but the right guy might take a long time to find. Also kind of wonder if two mounted toms are getting more and more less popular. I have been trying to sell some kits and there is very little interest in them so the market might be slow at this time. And I do know that a lot of the guys on here just dont have 5,000.00 to lay down on a kit, ever. Not saying they are not worth it, just saying that price range for any kit is aimed at a small group and it will take some time. Be patient and they will go. Best of luck!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks for your great input, Jeff. Several people have mentioned that dual toms are not so popular these days for vintage drums which is a little surprising. In the late 60s when this set was made, it seemed like most drummers had dual toms although Densmore played a single tom mod orange set. Then Ginger Baker came along with his dual bass drums and at least I got on that bandwagon too!

Posted on 9 years ago

This is nice set, but:

1. If you say that there is not so much fade for lavender please change the environment (light source) for taking the picture. It looks faded here.

2. The rash gives a longer consideration for spending $5k.

3. Hollywood config is less popular on vintage market

4. You'll have to be patient to find right buyer, you can always let ebay "do the justice".

Anyway, the kit is rare and not "typical $1k" vintage ludwig set.

---------------------
In case of deal with johnnyringo:
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/show...80&postcount=1
Posted on 9 years ago

You can also consult with Steve Maxwell. They have a Chicago store. You can consign them there as well. The market seems a bit soft but nice rare items still sell for good money. If you feel your just not going to get what you need for them, hang on to them.

http://www.maxwelldrums.com/

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

I am a fan of the two tom setup! ..well, I normally play one up and one down, but I like the option of playing the two up set up as well as having the option to just use the 12" or 13" as the sole rack tom.

Good luck on the sale buddy!

-Justin

"People might look at you a bit funny, but it's okay. Artists are allowed to be a bit different."- Bob Ross

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music..." - Aldous Huxley
Posted on 9 years ago

Snurf, Glenn and Justin,

Thanks your solid advice. Patience is the common thought so I'll wait until I can find the right buyer who will appreciate and properly care for these beauties. With eBay, they could easily get run through a chop shop which would be a crime.

Jim

Posted on 9 years ago

I don't know why a Hollywood set would bring less than a classic, unless someone wants the rail mount. I mean, if you only use one tom, then you take one off and use the tom mount as a single tom holder or use a snare stand. I would had thought having an extra drum would increase the price.

That being said, I've seen the classic variety selling for between $2,500- 3,000 and your kick has some rash which would de-value them, especially to a collector. I believe Rockin Robin in Houston has two very clean kits they are selling for around $3,000 each.

Posted on 9 years ago

Jim, you are right about ebay, most of what i have seen is guys buying kits like this then stripping it out, its a shame. patients is the key. 5k may be a lit'l steep but it also gives you playing room for best offers.

I, myself tho, would never sell a kit like this. it would be past down to my kids or grandkids. hey...i know...if you dont have kids to pass it to, i would gladly let you adopt me and would be honored to inherit such a piece. :) only kidding.

keep this kit til the "right person" comes along with a fair amount of money. good luck to you.

2 up n 1 down is my favorite and the only way for me.

Stay Wiggly,
Robyn
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here