Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

1968 Ludwig Mod Orange Hollywood Set

I missed out on an identical kit but in less condition on ebay last year for $1,200.

Nevertheless, your kit is a stunner. Better than anything new you could get today in my opinion.

p.s. I though all keystone badge Ludwigs were white paint interiors?

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 9 years ago

>>> p.s. I though all keystone badge Ludwigs were white paint interiors?

Larry, from what i understand, the clear interiors started in 68 with the keystone badges.

Stay Wiggly,
Robyn
Posted on 9 years ago

Hi Johnny,

I also don't understand the current interest in single tom sets with rail mounts other than they have a cool, Ringo look. As you say it's easy enough to just leave one tom off a dual holder. The sound variation between a 12' and 13' gives you a lot more options and going around the world is always a crowd pleaser!

Hi Robyn,

I have two boys in their mid 20s and neither one has an interest in drumming or my drums. Isn't that why you have kids in the first place?

It's probably too late for me to adopt you but not too late to include you in my will to receive these mods!

Jim

Set of 1968 Ludwig Hollywoods in Mod Orange
1964 Ludwig Acrolite Snare
Set of New Gretsch Catalina Clubs in Vintage Marine
Posted on 9 years ago

>>> It's probably too late for me to adopt you but not too late to include you in my will to receive these mods!

that is sooo cool of you Jim. Kiss and the 64 acro too??? D' Drummer

Stay Wiggly,
Robyn
Posted on 9 years ago

Hi Larry Z,

I think Ludwig went back and forth on clear vs. white painted interiors during the late 60s and early 70s. The funny thing is, to this day, I still remember the unique paint smell when you opened the bass. The clear interiors on the mods have a different, but equally memorable smell.

Hi Robyn,

I looked for two years for a 64 acro with a red felt baseball bat muffler. Mine is badge no. 87107 and it's exactly like the first drum I got for Christmas when I was 9 in a black suitcase with the yellow Ludwig label. I'll never give that one up!

Jim

Set of 1968 Ludwig Hollywoods in Mod Orange
1964 Ludwig Acrolite Snare
Set of New Gretsch Catalina Clubs in Vintage Marine
Posted on 9 years ago

Jim, on another note. I am restoring a ‘68 Mod Orange kit which had the interiors of the drums painted black? Yes black. I am wondering what the original color is on the inside? I’ve seen some discussions on white, but your pictures seem to point towards clear?

Hope you find a buyer, but I‘ve already have one!

Thanks!

Posted on 4 years ago

I honestly think your price is quite ambitious, considering the amount of unsightly rash on the bass drum. I don't know what a realistic price should be, but certainly not $5000. I'd put a guess at $3000-3500 at best, but again. I'm not sure.

There are people trying to get stupid money for run of the mill, common Slingerland sets right now. Most of them have high expectations and wind up dropping their prices drastically. Some don't.

The used gear market is extremely soft right now. I have gear for sale since January 1 and nothing. Just tire kickers so far. Once people start getting tax returns, things might open up. Good luck.

Posted on 4 years ago

The post is from 2015 folks. Probably even more faded in 2020.

Posted on 4 years ago

I love Mod Orange, it's one of my favourite finishes and the era is perfect for me, but I'm out of the game at that price.

EDIT: Hahaha - saw that this was an old post that got resurrected, still out of the game!

Muchas gracias - El Stinko
Posted on 4 years ago

The day will come when either....

...all the so-called "psychedelic" oyster finishes will command riDICulous money...(WHY? Because those finishes are not only rare, but they also represent the look of the psychedelia that was omnipresent in those days. I'm talking about those old stage light shows with the oil blobs on an overhead projector...bell bottom pants....bare feet...hair parted down the middle...love-ins....happenings...trying to get the radio to play your TAPE...lol and it's all gone ....one day the people of that era will all be gone, too....but some of the representative relics of that time will live on...maybe only in museums... It was a time when even the musical instruments, themselves mirrored the look of the music they were making!)

OR....

...future generations will see drums in a less desirable/collectible/playable way and most will be discarded as junk. ;)

One of those just has to be right.....right?

I know times change as far as the two mounted toms sets go. I think it's because many drummers prefer to place a ride cymbal closer, in the space of that second tom. But, as far as vintage sets go, I'd always advise to disregard the fashion of the present in favor of the original configuration. So what if people these days don't prefer the two up configuration? There's plenty of people who have a thousand other options to use whatever they want. But what you have is a collectible item -something made to meet the needs and demands of the drummers of that bygone era. It is what it it....er...was.

Too bad the chemicals in the dyes they used faded so much. When you see an unfaded example, it's just....um....mind-blowing, man! ;)

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 4 years ago
Action Another action Something else here