Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

1965 Rogers BR Celebrity's

Well ... I did a Sinatra Show on Sunday celebrating "100 Years of Sinatra" at the Infinity Music Hall in Hartford, CT which is truly one of the PREMIER theaters/venues in the area. State of the art in every regard. I grabbed some pics after sound check .. ( as I am oft to do! ) .. and thought the lighting was really neat in how it grabbed the drums, so I figured I'd post 'em up here! Although it can't be seen in the pic... I'm playing a 1966 Rogers Louie Bellson 4X14 snare drum, which is literally a ONE OF. Rogers, and specifically Joe Thompson, built this model for LB in 1966 at his request. There is only one!, well... now there are two! .. .. but I'll put up a post on that drum alone shortly. The original is owned by my very good friend Jeff Herman, one of the premier Rogers collectors/enthusiasts around! More on that later too! Hope you enjoy the pic!

Tommyp

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Stunning!! Absolutely stunning, Tommy!! Great pics!!

How many seat venue?

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 8 years ago

Very awesome!

Posted on 8 years ago

TP! You never cease to amaze me with your drums, stories and venues where you perform. I'm in my workshop right now, working on computers and being bored. You made my evening!

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago

Kool canister throne

Posted on 8 years ago

I find it very interesting that you downsize the toms and snare and hold onto the big bass. Something tells me you really love the bottom you're getting with that drum. Does make the hauling a bit easier with the smaller ones though, doesn't it?

Nice photography too, Tommy. Great drums and excellent capture of their beauty.

Posted on 8 years ago

So, if we had a "Like Button".. I'd have my finger stuck on it...

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 8 years ago

Looks lovely under the lights. I think Buddy would approve.

40's Slingerland Radio King WMP
60's Ludwig Downbeat Silver Spark
70's Ludwig Super Classic White Marine
60's Gretsch RB Champaigne Spark
70's Rogers Big R Black
90's Sonor Hilite (Red maple)
00's DW Collectors Broken Glass
00's DW Jazz Series Tangerine Glass
10's DW Collectors (Acrylic) Matt Black Wrap
10's PDP Concept Wood Hoop kit (Maple)
Proud ambassador of the British Drum Company
Posted on 8 years ago

... and now, some replies!

grantro! The lighting was nice!, and that was the main reason I put the pic up. Always nice to see the vintage stuff in the "gig zone"! The Infinity Music Hall/Hartford seats 500. A nice number, yet retains a bit of an intimate setting. That all said, we got the numbers from the agency yesterday: We/they sold 405 seats! I'll attach a couple pics at the end of this post showing the theater from about 1/4 back, and then the balcony. THANKS for the comments!

jerrysterken! THANKS Jerry! Glad you enjoyed!

idrum4fun/Mark! THANKS Mark! I never, ever, take for granted that I am truly blessed to be able to play/work as much as I do, and with excellent musicians, and in some of the nicest venues in New England! To be able to perform on vintage Rogers that sound/look like the day they were built is pure icing on that cake! THANKS Mark!

snaremania/Ken! Ya! I looked for years and finally found a Rogers canister throne! THANKS for the comment, and good eye!

Dan Boucher! Well, the smaller toms were purely a tonal decision Dan! Truth be told, "The Sounds of Frank" is a little "big" band .. .. in that it's just two horns, bass, piano, drums, and of course Frank! So in that regard, I noticed that I really didn't need the voice that the 9X13, 16X16, and 16X16 supplied, as I was tensioning them UP to get them in a better place to blend with the horns and John/Frank. It's really a small jazz band playing big band charts! That was the main impetus behind the smaller toms. As for the 14X24, well yeah!... gotta have that Dan! When I back the horn kicks with the bass drum, that 14X24 gets right under 'em and supplies some nice, round, bottom. I have played this show with my little Rogers Bop set too of course, and while they certainly do sound nice!, you miss that BOTTOM that only the 14X24 can supply... at least on stage anyway. Out front the 14X18 sounds like a 22! The snare drum...

... was NEW!, and so interesting that after I played it in my drum room for a while, I decided to play a show with it. As to whether it will become my everyday snare drum... probably not. Although, it is absolutely amazing in that the 4X14 LB sounds "fatter" than my 5X14 wood Dynasonic!, and at my usual high-mid snare drum tension. More on the snare drum in another post though as it deserves it's own space/pics! As to hauling around "smaller" drums... almost a non factor Dan! With all three toms we're talking about a mere 10" difference, total. Interestingly, the symmetry remains, even with the smaller toms ... so if one isn't really looking, it all looks as original with regard to size! THANKS as always for your comments Dan!

longjohn! I have always thought that too! I wish there were a "like button" ala FB on the VDF. Hmmmmm... I wonder if that could be instituted. Thought food! THANKS for the comments!

geckobeats! I always think of BR when I play these!, and yeah... I would love to sit out front and listen/watch Buddy put these through the paces. That would be something! THANKS for the nice comments!

Tommyp

Posted on 8 years ago

Really nice! That must have been a great gig. The Chairman has such a wonderful ,extensive catalog. Horn hit heaven! The kit is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here