Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

1965 Modern Solo Restoration Update

Hi all!

Many of you may remember the Slingerland 1965 Modern Solo outfit I posted pictures of some time ago. All the original "Sparkling Red Pearl" wrap had an odd whitish "acne" look to it! I'm finally making a little progress with the kit and wanted to post some pictures.

I burned off all the wrap from the toms and bass drum quite some time ago. It was a lot of fun watching them go up in flames, completely removing the wrap and not torching the shells! A little bit of flame residue, but really not too bad!

All the lug holes for the batter-side of the bass drum were all elongated, with many just at really weird sizes! I'm not sure what a previous owner was up to with this! I finally decided on a course of action, which is to use "Plastic Wood" to seal the holes and re-drill. Due to the odd size holes, plugging them with wooden dowels wasn't going to work. Luckily, all the lug holes for the front side are factory perfect!

As you can see, I used Painter's Tape on the inside to keep the putty material from falling through. I'll let the drum sit outside for 24 hours and then will sand and see how it came out.

The Red Glass Glitter wrap is from Jammin' Sam, using his "high-bond" tape. I'm now rethinking this, due to the stiff nature of glass glitter wraps and after a test fit on the bass drum. These vintage shells aren't perfectly square, causing too many air voids with the wrap, really necessitating that the wrap be glued! I've got plenty of time to think about this, as there's still a lot of work to be done with the shells and polishing of all the chrome parts. How much fun will that be?!! LoLoLoLo

I'll be posting more pictures along the way!

-Mark

5 attachments
98.9 kB
96.7 kB
140.5 kB
127.9 kB
75.7 kB
Posted on 2 years ago

Some more pictures showing the close date stamps! The factory worker chose not to use the stamp showing only the month and year for the bass drum!

-Mark

4 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

For some reason, both 8x12 toms were drilled the same way, with the tone control in the position for the left-side mounting. To get the dual 12" toms to look like the factory picture, in regards to the location of the tone control, I'll have to flip the right-side tom and move the tone control directly to the opposite side. Easy enough! You can see the location of the tone control in the right-side tom (from the behind the kit) as posted in one of the original eBay pictures.

-Mark

2 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

Here's the small tub of "Plastic Wood" I'm using to plug the holes. It goes on pink and then will change to tan when completely dry. It dried very quickly and I already sanded last night. Will post pictures later.

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

Beautiful work, Mark! In the past, I have found Minwax Wood Filler an excellent product. I have used it for antique wooden furniture, but never for drums. Nice work, amigo!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 2 years ago

Great work so far! I never tried burning off the wrap, but obviously it works well!

One comment: The tone controls as shown in the catalogue picture may not be accurate. Once production began, I find it completely plausible that all the toms were made with a similar configuration (regarding muffler placement) and that your kit is "as-delivered".

Just something to consider.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 2 years ago

Brian!

Thanks for the advice with Minwax Wood Filler. I'll keep that in mind if I ever have to do this again! I've already sanded and drilled for lugs. Came out great! Haven't taken pictures yet. I'm heading up to the San Francisco area tomorrow morning with my girlfriend. She bought a 23' RV trailer and we're driving up with her truck to pick it up on Thursday. We haven't been to San Francisco for well over 10 years, so we'll do a little sight-seeing again. Just not looking forward to the drive, which will take even longer coming home with the trailer in tow!!

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

Great work so far! I never tried burning off the wrap, but obviously it works well!One comment: The tone controls as shown in the catalogue picture may not be accurate. Once production began, I find it completely plausible that all the toms were made with a similar configuration (regarding muffler placement) and that your kit is "as-delivered".Just something to consider.

Hi J!m!!

I've been dealing with Slingerland drums for decades now and have found that the placement of tone controls on dual-tom sets can be a crap shoot! I've seen many where the factory worker placed them for specific left-right mounting and other times when both toms have been drilled the same. In the case of my right-side tom, I don't like that it faces forward, so will flip the tom and re-drill to make it look like the catalog picture. I have all the proper hardware, including the rare two-leg hi hat stand and the smooth-shell COB Sound King snare drum. It will be a fun kit when completed. The only difference is the original owner decided he wanted COB bass drum hoops and the "snap-on" pedal. You normally saw this on the "Jet" outfits.

I've attached a picture of my 1970 Modern Solo 2R, wrapped in original "Sparkling Purple Pearl". The tom shells were properly drilled for specific R/L mounting. Of course, when I use the kit in a 4pc GK-1N style, the muffler faces forward on the 9x13 tom! No worries, that's where Rogers puts their mufflers!

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

Rogers often had the muffler location issue. Steve Maxwell has a Gretsch Rock and Roll set up for sale that has the same issue. With the Gretsch, he suggests you can simply rotate the round badge to solve it. Back in the day, a lot of buyers didn't even give it a thought. Those working in the factory were pushed to meet orders, so it was what it was. Knowing there was a right and wrong way to do it (so to speak) does get to those of us who are sticklers for detail.

Nice looking purple sparkle set and looks like the restored one will be a gem too. Nice work and great balls of fire. Enjoy the long ride to San Fran!

Posted on 2 years ago

From idrum4fun

Brian!Thanks for the advice with Minwax Wood Filler. I'll keep that in mind if I ever have to do this again! I've already sanded and drilled for lugs. Came out great! Haven't taken pictures yet. I'm heading up to the San Francisco area tomorrow morning with my girlfriend. She bought a 23' RV trailer and we're driving up with her truck to pick it up on Thursday. We haven't been to San Francisco for well over 10 years, so we'll do a little sight-seeing again. Just not looking forward to the drive, which will take even longer coming home with the trailer in tow!!-Mark

Have a great time, Mark! I'd love to visit San Francisco one day! Today we may expect wet snow flurries up here. Cold and miserable! Cheers, my friend!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here