Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

1965 Modern Solo Restoration Update

Mark,

I like the look of the shells after burning the wrap off!! I vote for clear coat over the scorching!! Something different!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 2 years ago

From grantro

Mark,I like the look of the shells after burning the wrap off!! I vote for clear coat over the scorching!! Something different!!Cheers

grantro!

That would certainly be a novel finish! I do have Red Glass Glitter ready to go, that I purchased from Jammin' Sam. I did a test fit on one of the 8x12 toms and wasn't happy with the results. The wrap really needs to be glued, which is something I'm not good at! I did find someone in SoCal who wraps drums and I need to contact him to set up an appointment.

In the meantime, I've decided to not use the Stick-Saver hoops and Snap-On pedal that came with the bass drum. I've already purchased a nice set of maple hoops, with matching inlay, from Precision. They'll need to be painted! I haven't done much with the set in quite some time. I'm thinking about polishing up all the lugs and hardware and just assembling the shells to see how the set will look! And then, I'll get to take it all apart again! The fun never ends! LoLoLoLo

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

I tried doing glass glitter once. It’s a different animal from the other wraps. I had to abandoned it and have Precision complete the effort. Your project does look like fun though.

Posted on 2 years ago

That's some beautiful work! for everyone else, I'm also using Minwax filler and it's working great, although it's just a luan kit that you really can't hurt the sound of, lol.

From idrum4fun

Hi J!m!!I've been dealing with Slingerland drums for decades now and have found that the placement of tone controls on dual-tom sets can be a crap shoot! I've seen many where the factory worker placed them for specific left-right mounting and other times when both toms have been drilled the same. In the case of my right-side tom, I don't like that it faces forward, so will flip the tom and re-drill to make it look like the catalog picture. I have all the proper hardware, including the rare two-leg hi hat stand and the smooth-shell COB Sound King snare drum. It will be a fun kit when completed. The only difference is the original owner decided he wanted COB bass drum hoops and the "snap-on" pedal. You normally saw this on the "Jet" outfits. I've attached a picture of my 1970 Modern Solo 2R, wrapped in original "Sparkling Purple Pearl". The tom shells were properly drilled for specific R/L mounting. Of course, when I use the kit in a 4pc GK-1N style, the muffler faces forward on the 9x13 tom! No worries, that's where Rogers puts their mufflers! -Mark

Posted on 1 year ago

From The Devil

That's some beautiful work! for everyone else, I'm also using Minwax filler and it's working great, although it's just a luan kit that you really can't hurt the sound of, lol.

Hi there! Thanks for the kind words...and for reviving this thread! In all honesty, the set has just been sitting and I've gotten no ****her since patching those bass drum holes! It's gotten to the point where I've been seriously considering just sending all the shells and maple BD hoops to Precision Drum and let them work their magic! I realize this would cost a small fortune, so it's gotten no ****her than "thinking about it"!!

-Mark

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here