Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

1964 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 w/COB hoops

This snare drum i recently got with a drum kit. It is early 1964 in good condition for year, red bat felt damper and COB hoops. The tension rods and brass washers are all original. Not a lot of pitting to shel. Just a couple of lugs that have some excess pitting. Overall a great sounding piece of history. S/N 100356

5 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Great Great snare drum the good ole 400

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

looks nice! know it sounds good.

what brand is the snare stand with the white rubber on the basket?

mike

Posted on 9 years ago

Very nice indeed and classic in every sense of the word.Enjoy that wonderful and dependable snare drum.

Wayne

1967 Rogers Cleveland Champagne Sparkle
1967/68 Rogers Dayton Champagne Sparkle
1966 Rogers cob 7 Line Dynasonic Snare.
1967 Rogers "Humberto Morales" Timbales.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge 14x 6.5 Black Beauty Snare.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge Red Cortex
1988 Sonor "Horst Link" HLD 590 14x8 Bronze Snare
Posted on 9 years ago

What a beauty! I recently sold one quite similar from around the same era of red felt BB tone control. The hoops on this snare are not COB, well at least the bottom hoop does not appear to be. It doesn't have that dropped snare gates that you'll see on the COB hoops. Get a fridge magnet and test it out. If it sticks to the hoop then you'll know it's not brass.

Posted on 9 years ago

From Chromeo

What a beauty! I recently sold one quite similar from around the same era of red felt BB tone control. The hoops on this snare are not COB, well at least the bottom hoop does not appear to be. It doesn't have that dropped snare gates that you'll see on the COB hoops. Get a fridge magnet and test it out. If it sticks to the hoop then you'll know it's not brass.

Thanks for your comments guys. The hoops on this snare drum are COB i know the hoop you mean with the drop gate. ive seen lots of these hoops that look like mine and are COS. On the ludwig 3ply shells of the same period you will see same hoops as this drum of mine. Maybe someone or even ludwig them selves put these hoops on. As for the snare stand it is the premier lokfast. I have posted a pic of the bottom hoop where there is some slight damage to the chrome which even shows the brass hoop. Obviously the magnet doesnt stick. Thanks sean...

5 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

I've had at least one Ludwig snare in the past with the COB hoops. Sounded great. I think it was a super-sensitive model. Nice drums.

Posted on 9 years ago

From seantdrums

Thanks for your comments guys. The hoops on this snare drum are COB i know the hoop you mean with the drop gate. ive seen lots of these hoops that look like mine and are COS. On the ludwig 3ply shells of the same period you will see same hoops as this drum of mine. Maybe someone or even ludwig them selves put these hoops on. As for the snare stand it is the premier lokfast. I have posted a pic of the bottom hoop where there is some slight damage to the chrome which even shows the brass hoop. Obviously the magnet doesnt stick. Thanks sean...

The bottom hoop is a real puzzle ive seen the exact hoop on the jazzfest 8 lug snare drum. But these hoops are 10 lug cant find any. Would it be possible that this COB hoop is rare mistake or maybe off another drum company. The design looks very ludwig.

Posted on 9 years ago

You could be looking at zinc and not brass. With triple chrome plating they flash a layer of zinc on. This snare has 6 digits in the serial number so it's probably late 64 /65. Test those hoops with a magnet and report back. I'd be surprised if they're COB. My Supra has serial 1161** and it has COS hoops. My COB has brass hoops with dropped snare gates.

Posted on 9 years ago

Ludwig made some brass hoops without the drop gate and they also made some drop gate hoops that were steel. haven't seen many, but enough to know they made them. was during the mid 60's transitional period.

mike

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here