Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.45303%

1964 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 w/COB hoops

From mlayton

Ludwig made some brass hoops without the drop gate and they also made some drop gate hoops that were steel. haven't seen many, but enough to know they made them. was during the mid 60's transitional period.mike

Done the magnet test and it doesnt stick. I was looking through some ludwig catalogues and saw the exact hoops but 8 luggers jazz fest. Also on ebay there is a super sensitive 61/2x14 COB with exact hoops. My first opinion was steel and where the chrome has been scraped on bottom hoop it is brass. The badge looking on the dating guide puts it early 64 with the red BB muffler. Becoming quite an interesting find.

1 attachments
137.7 kB
Posted on 9 years ago

no stick is brass!

mike

Posted on 9 years ago

I had the VERY same snare...#35*** (1965 model) red felt muffler..

all orig / sold it a few yrs back...Really wished I didn't...didn't need the $.

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 9 years ago

From RIMS n SKINS

I had the VERY same snare...#35*** (1965 model) red felt muffler..all orig / sold it a few yrs back...Really wished I didn't...didn't need the $.

Ive just been using the snare this week with the band and because the hoops are COB the sound is amazing. I did a little experiment and took some COS hoops off another snare drum i own and then swapped them on the luddy 400 didnt pack the same punch very noticable. I soon put the COB hoops back on the 400....Thanks for your comments guys.....sean.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here