Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

1964 Classic silver sparkle set

I have a Ludwig set my Dad bought me in 1970. It is a 1964 Silver Sparkle 4 piece set.

The Snare drum has a date stamp. (Jan 17 1964 w/ Keystone Badge). I realize it is vintage and worth alot more than I thought. Any help would be appreciated. Please see picture.

Thanks

Vern

Posted on 16 years ago

Do you have any more pictures of the drums? How would you rate their condition on a scale of 1 to 10? They look really nice from what I can tell! Is that floor tom an 18" (diameter)?

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Looks like a beauty !! What do you want to know about it? Value? History?

Posted on 16 years ago

The condition is good, I would rate the set a 7 to 8 out of 10. The floor Tom has a small repair/patch on the Silver sparkle Skin? I would like to know more about the set. Model? History?

I think the snare is a Jazz Festival Model. Serial# 10672. I guess the set is worth $800 TO $1000

Vern

Posted on 16 years ago

Based on your pic and the information you've supplied thus far, we can certainly eliminate the following 60s Ludwig kits: The Blue Note, The Hollywood, the Downbeat, The New Yorker, The Club Date, The Combo, The Spotlight, The Hobby, The Traveler, The Gold Coast, The Rock Duo, The Jazzette and the Moonliter.

Soooooooooooooo... your kit would more than likely be (drum roll, please!):

The Ludwig Super Classic -- 5 x 14 SD, 14 x 22 BD, 9 x 13 TT & 16 x 16 FT. However, this kit normally came with a Super Ludwig All-Metal Snare or a Supra-Phonic 400. I did read, however, that a wood snare drum was optional with the kit at the same price (Jazz Festival?). I also noticed that you could order a 14x14 FT with this model kit, but I don't see any mention of an 18 FT, which yours appears to be in the pic you provided. This kit also came with one (1) cowbell.

Beautiful kit, by the way!

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the info Oldschool.

I realized I had a nice set after posting it on craigs list for $200.

The phone rang off the hook,before I pulled the post. I'm thankful there are honest people out there. One collector suggested I pull the post and do some research.

Thanks Again

Vern

Posted on 16 years ago

From Vern199

Thanks for the info Oldschool.I realized I had a nice set after posting it on craigs list for $200.The phone rang off the hook,before I pulled the post. I'm thankful there are honest people out there. One collector suggested I pull the post and do some research.Thanks AgainVern

No offense Vern, but if I saw it in my area for sale, I would have been at your door within 30 minutes with the money, and I wouldn't have said a thing but thank you after buying it. Good deals happen all the time, and that would of been a sweet one.

BBK

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

From OldSchool

Based on your pic and the information you've supplied thus far, we can certainly eliminate the following 60s Ludwig kits: The Blue Note, The Hollywood, the Downbeat, The New Yorker, The Club Date, The Combo, The Spotlight, The Hobby, The Traveler, The Gold Coast, The Rock Duo, The Jazzette and the Moonliter.Soooooooooooooo... your kit would more than likely be (drum roll, please!):The Ludwig Super Classic -- 5 x 14 SD, 14 x 22 BD, 9 x 13 TT & 16 x 16 FT. However, this kit normally came with a Super Ludwig All-Metal Snare or a Supra-Phonic 400. I did read, however, that a wood snare drum was optional with the kit at the same price (Jazz Festival?). I also noticed that you could order a 14x14 FT with this model kit, but I don't see any mention of an 18 FT, which yours appears to be in the pic you provided. This kit also came with one (1) cowbell.Beautiful kit, by the way!

Actually I think the set looks like a 20,12,16. That bass drum looks like it has eight lugs per side and the lugs look smaller on the twelve. This might appear to make the floor tom look larger. I wonder how gingeraled the set is? Looks nice.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

I think you got it, Kurt! 20/12/16 would explain things. That picture is a bit "fish-eyed" looking to me, too.

It's a very nice and complete set of drums that appear to be in good shape. I would like to see a detailed picture of all repair work, etc.

Yes, the snare drum is a Jazz Festival which is a currently VERY collectible snare drum. I just need more information before I would be able to venture a guess as to value.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Vern:

I would think that by now you would have had time to measure the drums. Is the bass drum a 20" or a 22"? Is the rack tom a 12" or a 13"? And..........what about the floor tom?

The measurements would certainly help!

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here