Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

1964 Classic silver sparkle set

I wil have the info by Sat afternoon.

Posted on 16 years ago

Here is the info on my set.

FT is 18" #99810 8 Lugs

BD is 20" #6662 8 Lugs

TT is 12" #6678 6 Lugs

Snare is 5"x14" Jazz Festival Jan 17 1964

Everthing is in good condition except for the Floor Tom. See picture for the repair I mentioned on an earlier post.

Original Hi-Hat stand, Snare stand and Speed King pedal.

I'm thinking of selling the set and would like to know what it is worth

Thanks

Vern

Posted on 16 years ago

now that i look at the floor tom I see that it really is an 18. Those drums were so big that they needed two pieces of wrap. Odd to have an 18 with a 20 and a 12.

I had a wfl set from 1958 once that I got at a yard sale! it had a 20,13,18 with the matching snare drum. All the drums were dated together. that was wierd.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

Vern:

Based on the sizes you've now posted, it doesn't appear that your kit would be considered a Ludwig Super Classic.

From the research I've done, the only kits that Ludwig manufactured in the 1960s that came with a 20 inch bass drum were The Downbeat, The Hobby, The Rock Duo, and the Moonliter.

However, the sizes that you provided don't seem to fit any of these kits. Neither the Hobby nor the Moonliter kits came with rack toms or floor toms, while The Rock Duo came with two (2) bass drums. That's leaves the Downbeat. This kit was normally issued with a 14 x 20 bass drum, 8 x 12 rack tom, 4 x 14 snare drum, and 14 x 14 floor tom. The downbeat snare drum, however, was later replaced with a Ludwig Supra-Phonic (no mention of a Jazz Festival).

Based on the serial numbers that you provided, I'd say that the bass drum and rack tom were sold together in early 1964 and that the floor tom was added to the kit at a later date. You stated that the serial number on the floor tom is 99810. Ludwig was using serial numbers starting with 31,505 in April of 1964 and those starting with 142,581 in April of 1965. Your floor tom obviously would have been built sometime between April of 1964 and April of 1965. I also believe that your Jazz Festival snare drum was also an "add on" to the kit. Great looking kit regardless!

Posted on 16 years ago

Hi Vern199

You are sitting on a nice set of drums!!!

The flat based Ludwig hi-hat stand is worth about $200.00.

I would be very careful before you let these go.

As for the 18" floor tom...as rare as rocking horse s*&t.

Beautiful drums.

Keep 'em.

Posted on 16 years ago

Hi, Very cool old drums. Something that you might find interesting is that I have a set of Aqua sparkle 1955 WFL with the same sizes 14x20,16x18,8x12 (large lugs) and a Compacto 4x14 with the beer tap throw off. Do you still have your set or did you let it go? Dave

I recently found a old matching WFL 12X15 snare that can now be used as a floor tom and along with the 18 on it's side as a Bass drum. Try it it may work for you as well.

Posted on 15 years ago

In the past couple of months I've seen these kits go from $1200 to over $1700 without the Jazzfest, for the Superclassic in really good condition.

Posted on 15 years ago

Gorgeos kit!

Something very classy about Silver Sparkle. The Dave Brubeck quartet with Joe Morello on his Ludwig Silver Sparkle kit just added to the mystique of Brubeck's and Morello's awesome music. Great vintage sounds come out those drums. Don't let 'em go man!!! For $200, whoever would have bought them would be braggin' about the drum gods shining on them that day.flowers2

Kelly

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 15 years ago

AMEN!!! Hold 'em like they ain't never gettin' away. Buy another kit if you want something different to play. But, don't ever part with that beauty! ...and if you do, PM me!Excited

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here