Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

1963 Ludwig Hollywood

O-Lugs, you're right. The cymbal stands are mic stand bases with the Ludwig cymbal stand rods. The original stands were always very wobblie. I never liked them. A friend of mine who had a small recording studio bought a new pair of Telefunken microphones in 1968 (?). They came with these stands. He did not plan to use the stands so we made a trade. They work pretty well...very sturdy. The three legs snap out of the base so they fit nicely in my trap case. You have to get the slide lock tight or you'll find your cymbals getting lower and lower as the gig goes on. I guess it's unfortunate that I don't have the originals...oh well.

You can't see it in the picture but I also have a custom made (by me) mount for the two 12" toms. The original mounted them quite far apart and the tilt detents were not properly aligned so I could never get the 2 toms at the same angle. I made this mount with a piece of 1" electrical conduit and strap iron...nicely chromed, of course. The toms are now at my preferred angle and only an inch apart. No adjustments.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 15 years ago

From GG Vintage

FYI, made the logo on the bass using my computer, ink jet printer and printable "laptop skin" vinyl from OfficeMax.

I'm really curious about this - can you describe how you did it? If it's not to hard or costly, I might give it a try...

Scott

Posted on 15 years ago

Scott,

How hard it is depends on how adept you are with computer graphics programs, PhotoShop, etc. As far as cost, the LapTop Skins cost about $20 at OfficeMax which includes 3 "skin" sheets (8 1/2" X 14") and 3 photo paper sheets to test your design (which you need to do!). The LapTop Skins are a white vinyl with a removable adhesive. It can be removed and repositioned which makes alignment easy. (Probably dampens some resonance out of the head.)

I had to print it in two pieces, the upper stripe and shield in one piece then the lower stripe as a second piece, but they both fit side by side on one skin. I did my design on the computer (make sure you size it properly), printed it out, cut it out and stuck it on using a straight end for alignment. For the color I wanted to match the Gold Sparkle of the drums so I took a picture of one of the Toms with my digital camera and used a portion of the image to paste into the design. Since the drum head is black I had to fill between the stripes and the interior of the shield with black. It doesn't "sparkle" but the color and overall effect looks like the drums.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here