Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

1961 Slingerland Stage Band

I am looking for opinions on a set of '61 Slingerlands, the Stage Band kit. Set is a 4 piece with 14" floor tom, 12" mounted tom and 20" bass. Snare is a 5x14" 6-lugger w/ wood shell. I have a few questions: 1) Should all of the drums have a badge? (They all do.) 2) The snare is the 6 lug wood shell but looks like it has been dropped on the throwoff which has pushed through the shell. The outside of this is rough in that spot but the inside doesn't look too bad. Can this be repaired to loo good? 3) The finish is rough and appears to be the dark blue sparkle lacquer and someone has painted green dots all over it. Would re-lacquering be worthwhile? I know someone who can do it pretty cheaply. Overall what would this kit be worth now and what about after a restoration? I believe all the hardware is there except two tension rods on the small tom. I'm trying to decide whether to make a project out of it or keep looking. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, DoubleJ

Posted on 15 years ago

Center lugs... is that what is pointing toward "Stage Band"?

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

The only "Stage Band" kit that I'm aware of that was manufactured by Slingerland was produced between 1963 and 1973. The kit consisted of a 5.5 x 14 snare drum, 9 x 13 rack tom, 12 x 15 floor tom and 14 x 22 bass drum. The kit that you described doesn't match this configuration.

Posted on 15 years ago

Yeah OS.. That's what I was reading and wondering what was pointing toward it being a "Stage Band" kit..???

Sounds like a great little kit!! I'm just curious if maybe it's a Modern Jazz Outfit with 14" floor tom added.. or something like that? I guess that snare doesn't fit with a Modern Jazz kit though..

DoubleJ.. put us up a couple pictures.. sounds like an interesting kit!

Posted on 15 years ago

I do not have pictures unfortunately. I'll try to provide a little more information. They have the center lugs which led me to believe that they are the Stage Band kit. The bass drum has '61 inside the shell but I don't know about the date inside the others. They all have black and gold badges with serial numbers on them I believe. I think I am going to go take another look at them tomorrow. Is there anything in particular that I should look for to make sure it is a factory matched set? It is at a pawn shop and they are asking $250 so I assume they will at least take a little less. Like I said earlier, they will definitely need to be re-lacquered so I need advice as to whether this would be sell-able when I get finished. Thanks for all your input!

Posted on 15 years ago

If they all have badges, then they'd be from the later '60s. By then, the configuration of the stage band outfit would have been 20, 12, 14, snare.

Here's a pic of a set I had once.

http://www.drumforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21554

I've seen dark blue sparkle wrap get some green spots on it, so it's possible they're not lacquered, but wrapped. They may just need a good cleaning.

I've seen / heard of snares like that getting repaired. A dark blue sparkle Slingerland snare wouldn't be that hard to replace and wouldn't be terribly expensive.

I'd rather see pictures, but $250 sounds like a good deal, especially if you don't mind spending a little time cleaning. Those stage band Slingerlands sound great!

Posted on 15 years ago

$ 250.00??? Man that's a "jump all over it" deal. They're the same 3-ply shells w/re-rings as on high end Slingerland drums with half the hardware on the shell. Other responder is correct, snare should be fairly easy to replace, 6-luggers go for between 125 to 200 depending on the ususal variables; age, wrap, condition. Badges on the toms mean late sixties.

There just was a similar set on E Bay this past week, lost track of it though, same color and sizes, was hovering in the high 300's when I last saw it. Good luck and enjoy them, great drums.

Regards

DonS

Posted on 15 years ago
Posted on 15 years ago

check the tom mount. Didn't the stage band have a cheap version of the rail consolette?

Posted on 15 years ago

What would the shells be made of? Maple or Mahogany? I think I'm going to go ahead with getting these and doing a restoration.

The tom mount does appear to be a cheaper version than the usual ones you see.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here