Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

1957 WFL kit

Greetings...my first post here. I recently bought a set of WFL's from the original owner. He bought them in Hollywood from Drum World in 1957 when he was 19 years old. His good friend Shelly Manne helped him select the kit. I am honoured that he sold to me and I have promised to give this fine kit the respect that it deserves. They were played between 1957 and 1965 by this gentelman who said he made a great deal of money playing them. He had played parties at Sammy Davis Jr.s home many times and the kit had been played by a few greats like Louis Bellson, Shelly Manne and even Sammy Davis himself sat at them. The kit is 100% original with all the calfskins, hardware, Zildjians, etc. The last time they were played was 1965. I am going to clean and polish them and keep you all updated on the progress. I did snap a photo of the gentleman sitting at the kit when I went to buy them and I will try to post it later. Anyway...I'm very excited about the drums and I hope to glean more knowledge about them from some of you that probably have infinitly more knowlege than I do. The fellow had a photo scrapbook of his days playing with the big bands and is going to scan some for me so eventually those will be forthcoming also.

Jim B

Posted on 16 years ago

How cool is that?

Look forward to the photos.

Posted on 16 years ago

That's rreeeeeaaallly cool! I, too, can't wait!! And welcome to the forum!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

I'm trying to upload the pic of Mr. Otto and his kit. We'll see if it works. I've never posted here and all forums are different. Ok...looks like it works. This is the shot I took Saturday before we broke them down. I just finished cleaning and polishing the rack tom and it is amazing! I'll shoot a shot of the kit when finished. Enjoy!

Jim

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Outstanding - I think that this is one of the best things that could happen to a vintage, obviously well loved, drum kit.

What a lucky guy you are!

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

That looks like a very nice set. I am guessing the badges read WFL DRUMS at the top? That badge was in place around 1957. The previous badge read WFL DRUM CO at the top with the address at the bottom. You may find a date stamp in there. Sometimes it can be hard to read against the mohogany interior.

If one is there it should be in red ink and from what I have noticed it seems to be inside next to the airhole. In the 60's they seemed to move the date across the drum so it could be seen through the airhole.

Looks like nickle hardware? hard to tell. That set should clean up very nicely. they will sound great as well. Congrats!

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

I have started taking the drums apart for cleaning and yes it is stamped on the inner shell April 1, 1958. Bob corrected himself after looking at his receipt which was April, 1958. They are cleaning up beautifully! I'm using 00000 steel wool with Windex and very light pressure for the chrome then a standard chrome polish. Nu-Finish car polish for the shells. The wraps are in perfect condition with no marks, tears, etc. They are of course slightly yellowed due to their age but not bad and it actually enhances the vintage vibe to me. Here's a shot Mr. Otto sent me. 1st pic with his new kit in 1958. He was 20 years old.

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Sorry...forgot to ask...these have the original calfskin heads on them, except the snare batter. Is there something like a lanolin or leather conditioner that I could apply to help preserve them? Since there seems to be no difference in weight between the resonant side and batter side I'm putting the old batters on the bottom and the unplayed heads on top. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jim

Posted on 16 years ago

Holy Joe Morello batman!! Looks like he got the set with a matching canister throne as well? Ask him what ever happened to that? Did you end up with that? Love that old pic!

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

Yeah...I have the cannister throne as well. Even the seat cushion is still in perfect condition.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here