Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

1957 WFL kit

DON'T USE STEEL WOOL!! Windex will cloud the metal...don't use that either!

Is the hardware nickel or chrome?

I just cleaned up a similar set from the same year...the hardware was nickel...I used cape code polishing cloths.

http://www.drumforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34323&p=343946&hilit=wfl+red#p343946

Posted on 16 years ago

NO STEEL WOOL -EVER!! ;)

RichK is right.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Could you post a pic of the canister sometime? That is WAY cool!!

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

Kurt...I'll shoot a pic of the cannister tonight for you. As for the steel wool it is 00000 grade. This technique was suggested by a pretty reputable drum shop in town and it has worked great. I am rubbing very lightly to remove the 50 year old grunge then I stop and used a chrome polish and they look like new. I'm not scrubbing the chrome, just light enough action to remove the grime.

Funny...last night I dis-assembled the bass drum for cleaning and when I removed the front head I found the entire drum was filled with down feathers! I removed the batter head and both sides had been sandwiched between two sheets of cheesecloth. I guess they really wanted a dead sound in the day. At least the cheescloth really helped protect the calfskin all these years. Now I can't wait to hear how this drum sounds with none of the dampening and those original calfskins!

More later, Jim

Posted on 16 years ago

Jim, those are beautiful! WFL's from that era have a special, warm sound all their own. What a find.

I would agree about not using steel wool, even the finest grade...it works by removing plating. You can't see it at first, but over time you can tell that steel wool was used...it creates a somewhat hazy appearance. It used to be common practice, but by now the best policy is to not use it at all. If you do end up using it, make sure to at least lubricate it with dishsoap, and disclose that it has been used if you are selling the kit.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

mlvibes is correct.

In addition, the steel wool will create micro-scratches that will act like a sponge to hold onto moisture. It gives immediate results, but over time, it will do more harm than good. Please trust us!

Posted on 16 years ago

I don't doubt at all of this info is true. You guys are certainly more expert than me. I am a novice to the vintage restoration process. Unfortunatly, I am 90% done at this point so we'll see what they look like down the long haul. I will definitly inform any prospective buyers should I decide to sell what the restoration process was. Hopefully I haven't screwed them up too bad. They sure look great at the moment though. Thanks for the info. The floor tom and rack mount sound incredible so far with the old calfskins! The snare batter calf had been removed in 1965 and after sitting it seperated from the hoop so I put an Aquarian American Vintage head on it and it looks great. Not sure about the sound yet since it's not all up and running. I left the calf on the snare side.

Jim

Posted on 16 years ago

Kurt...here's a quick shot of the cannister and the 3 drums I have cleaned so far. The big job is next...bass drum. I couldn't get the thumbnail to upload...sorry

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3044/2744085945_8301f02e97_s.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 16 years ago

It sounds like you were careful, but you should avoid using the steel wool method on future maintenance cleanings.

SWEET cannister throne!! Man, you scored a really nice kit!Burger Kin

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here