Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

14 12 14 20 psychedelic red question

Quoted post

Actually psych red AND mod orange came out around June of 1967. That's the earliest I have seen it recorded. The first Ads for these two colors showed up around early 1968. The colors were meant to coincide with the psychedelic summer and it seems like psych red was a bit more popular. John Densmore from the Doors got his downneat 20,12,14 in mod orange around summer/fall of 1967. His set had the white interiors and ball bat mufflers.

Great information, thanks WFL! I know of one psych red Outfit from late 1969, but that's the earliest for me.

Your data takes me back quite a bit further, which is always a good thing..........

LVDC

All Catalog images shown in my posts were generated by me (scanning) and are from my personal files........
Posted on 16 years ago

I have been a nut for those finishes for quite some time. I had wanted a mod orange set since the late 80's. I am a huge Doors fan and saw the Hollywood bowl footage with John and the mod orange Ludwigs. I did not seriuosly start collecting drums until about 1990 and the mod orange was always on the back of my mind. I did not relize at the time how incredibly hard they were to come by.

My guitar player found my 22,13,16 supra at the local music store a couple of years ago. It had been sold to the store by the original owner. He knew I had been jonesing for one for years and he jumped on this one. I was quite surprised! the 22,13,16 are dated March 26th 1969 and the supra is dated March 20th 1969. The serials are all close. I even got the original logo head as well as the back.

I aquired the rock duo psych red on e-bay about a year before I got the mod orange. It was listed on e-bay with a BIN for $1100.00. It turned out that the set was only an hour away from me and the seller actually delivered it to me! It needed a good cleaning but otherwise the color is very strong. That set is dated Dec 12th 1968.

I have had the pleasure of seeing Bun E. Carlos' collection and we have a lot of the same interests. WFL drums and 60's Ludwigs. He has a Jazzfest in mod orange that is dated June 1967. That is the earliest I have seen that finish dated on a drum. Psych red and mod orange came out together. I think the first ad appeared in the spring 1968 issue of the Ludwig drummer. I love those finishes for sure!

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

I have had the pleasure of seeing Bun E. Carlos' collection and we have a lot of the same interests.

Hey WFL.....how did you get to check out his collection? I understand he has about 40 kits and 200 snares. I had the honor of playing Surrender "side by side" with him 2 years ago in Hollywood at SIR studios,....what a blast...

He also conducted a clinic ..... what a great guy....very down to earth, that real midwest friendliness........

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

I have been a nut for those finishes for quite some time.

It shows kurt, it shows, and for that I salute you my Ludwig friend......

A close friend owns a Drum Shop that his Father started back in 1960 and they have been Ludwig Dealers since that time. Because of this I heard of a local guy, who stills comes into the Shop, that had a Mod Orange Outfit that, while in excellent condition, he decided he wanted another color so re-wrapped it. He really doesn't like to hear about this lapse in judgement so it's hardly ever brought up, at least while he's there it's not. Then there's the other guy who traded his Mod Orange for a VistaLite Kit, he doesn't like to be reminded of that either................

LVDC

All Catalog images shown in my posts were generated by me (scanning) and are from my personal files........
Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Hey WFL.....how did you get to check out his collection? I understand he has about 40 kits and 200 snares. I had the honor of playing Surrender "side by side" with him 2 years ago in Hollywood at SIR studios,....what a blast...He also conducted a clinic ..... what a great guy....very down to earth, that real midwest friendliness........

I have corrosponded with Bun E. for years as I knew he was into WFL drums. I am really into the pre-war WFL stuff and we shared that same interest. I have been to the Chicago show about six times and last year he offered to let me look. It was great as the were some old WFL and plenty of psych red and mod orange. He was very nice to hang with.

I think part of the reason those colors are scarce is that many people did not like them at one point and many were recovered or even painted over! I like 20,12,14 or 22,13,16 sets the most. The ones with the rail mount and cymbal attachment. That is what I was looking for. My set is the 22,13,16 as a 20,12,14 mod orange would be super rare and BIG bucks. Mine is a wee bit more faded than I would have liked but I certainly can't complain.

I even met the original owner and he said that he bought the set new in 1969 and did not play it much. I just wish he would have kept the set in cases! Oh well.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here