Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

14 12 14 20 psychedelic red question

Quoted post

Nifty Kit.No telling what the obsessed will bay, butmy thought from the single "bow-tie lugs"is that this was likely a custom order from '71-73Expect $100 -$325 US.Personally, I think it's really groovy and likelysounds great."If I had a million dollars..."Walking

INDEED! INDEED!

Posted on 16 years ago

Ive seen club dates go for 80 bucks in great condition...I've seen mixed and match club dates sell for 400. I've seen mint ones go for 1200. never more than 1200 though. Now, mind you they were all orginal wraps and hardware.

You could put this up on ebay if you wanted to and see how zealous some bidders get...expect 500 or so though.

good luck.

www.vintageghost.com
Posted on 16 years ago

When did the psych red finish come out?

Someone give me a lesson on the psych red and mod orange...

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Hey onemat are you sure that the set was not Mod Orange? Frank DeVito played for the baja band and got a Mod Orange set when they first came out. You definately should have jumped on those!!

I have to ask John A. to be sure but I'm almost positive they were Psych Red. It was right when I began to play again, and kits over $700 or $800 seemed like a risky thing to me. Now I know better.

Matt

Ludwig-Zildjian-Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

When did the psych red finish come out?

Around 1970, the same for the Mod & Citrus Orange. That's why I added the caveat, "originality," to my price estimate thinking that it was possibly a re-wrap. I also noticed that the Snare didn't look quite right either, but it's hard to tell by those pic's.

I have seen original wraps on Drums that were dated outside the appropriate time window figuring that Ludwig may have had some old Shells that they brought back into their process so you just never know about such things without getting a first hand look at them.......

Knowing that this is a re-wrap I would think it should be worth, in the ballpark, of $500-$600. At least around here it would be.............

LVDC

All Catalog images shown in my posts were generated by me (scanning) and are from my personal files........
Posted on 16 years ago

look on ebay at what 14x14 floor toms are getting-super classic or club date--pretty big bucks...marko

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Around 1970, the same for the Mod & Citrus Orange. That's why I added the caveat, "originality," to my price estimate thinking that it was possibly a re-wrap.LVDC

Ok, that is what I was thinking looking at catalogs and the colors available... If these are 67, that color was not even showing in the catalogs, so I just wanted to make sure I was thinking the same thing as you...

David

Posted on 16 years ago

So is the whole set a rewrap or just the snare? I thought the set might be original because of the inconsistent splotches of red...usually the reissue psych red is much more consistent.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

When did the psych red finish come out? Someone give me a lesson on the psych red and mod orange... David

Actually psych red AND mod orange came out around June of 1967. That's the earliest I have seen it recorded. The first Ads for these two colors showed up around early 1968. The colors were meant to coincide with the psychedelic summer and it seems like psych red was a bit more popular. John Densmore from the Doors got his downneat 20,12,14 in mod orange around summer/fall of 1967. His set had the white interiors and ball bat mufflers.

The citrius mod color did not appear until that latter part of 1969. It did not fair well and some of the early 70's kits were later covered with black panther finish. Mod orange lasted until about 1971-72 where as psych red went for quite a while. At some point in the mid 70's the color changed over to a more dark pattern. I think it even made it until the late 70's. Here are my mod orange and psych red sets. The mod orange is March 26th 1969 and the psych red is an original rock duo dated Dec 12th 1968.

http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2167

http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2168

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

Ok, that helps with my evidence... I have seen many Keystone drums in those finishes which are not listed in the catalogs.

I do know catalogs are not the best resource, but this forum is!

Thanks

David

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here